Nice weather

southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Nice weather

Post by southy »

Just so ya know - snowing heavily in Penticton area. Heading your way - be careful what you wish for.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

That has been happening all morning, it seems to break-up before it hits Kelowna.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Hasn't been snowing for the past hour or so... is it over for the day? Kidding, I know we will get more than the 1/4 inch we currently have in Vernon by the end of it.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Coming down heavily in lower Mission right now.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Starting to snow again here, but still, we only have less than 1 cm total on the ground.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Glacier wrote:Starting to snow again here, but still, we only have less than 1 cm total on the ground.

Has just really started coming down and accumulating out in Lake Country...about 4 cm now
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Since I gave that last report it hasn't stopped and in fact is heavier.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Queen K wrote:Since I gave that last report it hasn't stopped and in fact is heavier.

Here is the graph for my place. Assuming a 1:10 ratio, the snow was coming down at a rate of 2cm/hour, and has slowed slightly since 1pm.

precipnow.png
- Douglas Murray
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

You know I was just thinking while reading these posts. This thread could be turned into Canada's new Hockey Night in Canada. Call it "Snow Day In Central Okanagan" .. and all of you could be the play by play announcers - hilarious - absolutely hilarious! Cue the Hockey Night in Canada Music Intro - Hello to you all in Newfoundland, the U.S. and the rest of Canada and welcome to Snow Day in Central Okanagan" ... now with your play by play action here are those Castanet kids ..

Starting to snow again here, but still, we only have less than 1 cm total on the ground.
Since I gave that last report it hasn't stopped and in fact is heavier.
Coming down heavily in lower Mission right now.
No snow but we've got a cold snap moving in this week.
got about 4 inches over night and more to come
Who knows....maybe we will see some actual snow this time

And that's the end of the first period! Score - Winter 10 Central Okanagan 0
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Looks like the worst is over for Kelowna.
https://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=xss
Bring back the LIKE button.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Yup, slowing down, but more flurries overnight. Reminder, here is the forecast for today and tonight...

forecast5.jpg
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Lamest snowstorm ever. EC always does this. Issues warnings and they don't come true. Doesn't issue a warning and we get slammed. I've seen bigger snowstorms Saturday nights at the office Christmas parties
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

tsayta wrote:Lamest snowstorm ever. EC always does this. Issues warnings and they don't come true. Doesn't issue a warning and we get slammed. I've seen bigger snowstorms Saturday nights at the office Christmas parties

My theory about snowstorms is that if EC dropped the ball by failing to issue a snowfall warning, we get hammered with snow. If they see it coming, and issue a big snowfall warning, it turns into a dud. I call it the weather forecasting uncertainty principle (for fun I will call it Glacier's Uncertainty Principle), similar to the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle where the more accurate you try to measure a particle's location, the more uncertain its momentum becomes (and vice-versa).

Glacier's Uncertainty Principle: The more confident you are that a severe weather event is about to strike, the less severe the weather event will be; the most severe weather events occur only when forecasters fail to issue a weather warning.

Here's a summary of today's snow:

snowdepth2.jpg
- Douglas Murray
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Is it all over? Happy Happy.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

We've got at least 6" so far and it's still coming down.
Satellite map shows another system coming through in a few hours - so they weren't that far off the mark.

Return to “Central Okanagan”