Nice weather

tsayta
Lord of the Board

Re: Nice weather

Post by tsayta »

oldtrucker wrote:
bigtimeoperations wrote:However it seems they miss us 19 times out of 20.

oldtruckers ultra high tech meteorology theory...
As the airmass moves west over the valley, the thermals coming out of the lower elevations in the valley are warmer, and change the lapse rate over the valley, therefore raising the dewpoint. Storms, rainclouds appear to melt as they move over the rising airmass.

Agree. Except he means east
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

oldtrucker wrote:See...I actually paid attention in meteorology class :smt045 :biggrin:

Or, just pilfered it from Nav. Canada ?

http://www.navcanada.ca/EN/media/Public ... C-3-EN.pdf
Bring back the LIKE button.
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

Sitting on deck looking north up the lake watching the lightning illuminating the clouds, looks like Vernon to Shuswap area is getting hit pretty good.
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Post by bigtimeoperations »

madadam wrote:Sitting on deck looking north up the lake watching the lightning illuminating the clouds, looks like Vernon to Shuswap area is getting hit pretty good.

Judging by the radar its over the Blind Bay area, north of Salmon Arm. Wish it would come here dangit! I know the storms mostly miss Kelowna, but surely we could at least get a small one!
Don't Vancouver our Kelowna!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

bigtimeoperations wrote:Edit: Now Penticton is the hotspot according to Environment Canada.

True. Penticton only averages 3 to 4 days per year as the BC Hotspot, and took one of those days yesterday!

For those of you too lazy to click (or maybe you're looking on your phone)...

BC Hotspots yesterday:
1) Penticton = 35.4
2) Kelowna (UBCO) = 35.3
3) Osoyoos = 34.9
4) Warfield = 34.5
5) Kelowna (airport) = 33.9
6) Summerland = 33.5

maxJUNE13.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Kelowna's average precipitation between january 1st and july 1st is 186.6mm. So far this year kelowna's airport weather station has recorded 50mm since january 1st, or about 26.8% of normal. I guess there's still a couple weeks until july starts, but barring a hurricane moving through, this will definitely be the driest 6 month stretch of weather that we've seen in a long time.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Agreed and I could not even be out there for a few moments after work.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

According to EC we're going to get 10-20mm of rain this afternoon with thunderstorms. Who knows through, all the weather sites have like completely different forecasts.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Here's a copy and paste from EC at this moment.

Today A mix of sun and cloud. A few showers with thunderstorms beginning this afternoon. Local amount 5 to 10 mm. Wind becoming northwest 20 km/h this afternoon except gusting to 70 near thunderstorms. High 30. UV index 9 or very high.

Tonight A few showers with thunderstorms ending this evening then clearing. Local amount 5 to 10 mm. Wind northwest 20 km/h except gusting to 70 near thunderstorms this evening. Wind becoming light late this evening. Low 15.

Both of those are at 30% or less, and cover the entire OK valley.

My prediction is that......we won't see drop one, here in Kelowna. I was wrong once before, but I was just mistaken. I hope we get a huge dump of rain and no lightening, even though I love a great "flash/bang show".
Bring back the LIKE button.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Frisk wrote:Kelowna's average precipitation between january 1st and july 1st is 186.6mm. So far this year kelowna's airport weather station has recorded 50mm since january 1st, or about 26.8% of normal. I guess there's still a couple weeks until july starts, but barring a hurricane moving through, this will definitely be the driest 6 month stretch of weather that we've seen in a long time.

I'm going to call B.S. on the Kelowna numbers. The airport station was downgraded in 2005 such that the precipitation numbers are extremely poor ever since. It has been drier than average to be sure, but it's more like 80% of normal. Penticton (the last weather station in the valley that has not been downgraded) shows 107 millimeters of precipitation to date.

Kelowna is a little wetter than Penticton so there's probably more than that to date in Kelowna.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

A bit snowy on the Connector this morning.

snowconnect.jpg
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Thank God for the cool down, I have lots of berries to pick. :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Definitely, a LOT cooler last night - had to put a blanket back on the bed!

Loving the rain, too.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yup, very welcome.
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Post by bigtimeoperations »

Yeah rain!!

And they're calling for at least 4 days of it next week, so that's awesome. We sure need it.
Don't Vancouver our Kelowna!

Return to “Central Okanagan”