Re: New Face of West Kelowna

Post by Lizard »

I stand corrected, thanks for the info.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Tree Guy, you said:

"The city says there will be no additional tax burden for residents related to the construction of the municipal hall and that costs will be assumed within the current 10-year financial plan."

What do you think the second part of that sentence means? "costs will be assumed within the current 10 year financial plan". What is the financial plan? Do you know what it is? Rather vague don't you think? To 'assume' a financial debt says to me it will be laid on the taxpayer over a ten year period and that is what I heard.

I heard a 10.5 million dollar debt (or thereabouts) would be incurred privately and that the money to pay it back would be procured via taxes over a ten year period. I'm curious if you don't think it will come from taxes, where do you think it is coming from?

If the District of West Kelowna wants to increase my taxes to pay for new digs for them instead of providing us here with ER services which have been needed for decades, they can forget my vote. They seem to have found a way to come up with a plan for new office buildings but not for long needed medical and health services for the PEOPLE.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

pepsilover wrote:Tree Guy, you said:

"The city says there will be no additional tax burden for residents related to the construction of the municipal hall and that costs will be assumed within the current 10-year financial plan."

What do you think the second part of that sentence means? "costs will be assumed within the current 10 year financial plan". What is the financial plan? Do you know what it is? Rather vague don't you think? To 'assume' a financial debt says to me it will be laid on the taxpayer over a ten year period and that is what I heard.

I heard a 10.5 million dollar debt (or thereabouts) would be incurred privately and that the money to pay it back would be procured via taxes over a ten year period. I'm curious if you don't think it will come from taxes, where do you think it is coming from?

If the District of West Kelowna wants to increase my taxes to pay for new digs for them instead of providing us here with ER services which have been needed for decades, they can forget my vote. They seem to have found a way to come up with a plan for new office buildings but not for long needed medical and health services for the PEOPLE.

It is vague. However, the way I read it it sounds like they have money in their budget to cover borrowing the funds and that it won't result in a tax increase.

I think an ER or medical and health services would come from IHA not the City.

This area has too small of a population for the following thing: Costco, IKEA and an ER. My money would be on Costco happening first.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

The TSA eyesore is gone and the Otter Co-op is set to open soon. I am so happy to see this area redevelopment. Looks like it will have a good sized store. The rest of the plaza has been rebuilt aswell.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

TreeGuy wrote:The TSA eyesore is gone and the Otter Co-op is set to open soon. I am so happy to see this area redevelopment. Looks like it will have a good sized store. The rest of the plaza has been rebuilt aswell.

In the meantime the block before it is emptying out, so some new stuff arrives and other stuff closes and we have more empty stores. I am not sure Westbank centre will ever be anything other than an awkward array of oddball stores separated by the damn highway
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

I'd be more annoyed but the non-stop blasting that's going to be going on in the Mt. Boucherie area for the next several months. If they could back fill the lake to build more developments, I'm sure someone would.
OKV1

Post by OKV1 »

TreeGuy wrote:
This area has too small of a population for the following thing: Costco, IKEA and an ER. My money would be on Costco happening first.

WK population too small for an ER? It's the same size of Penticton and they are in the process of doing a massive expansion.
Kelowna will soon not be able to keep up with the growth and has no plans to build a second hospital.

Return to “Central Okanagan”