New Face of West Kelowna

TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

New Face of West Kelowna

Post by TreeGuy »

http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelowna/154074/New-face-of-West-Kelowna

I have posted this map to show where the planned location is. It is behind Lordco & The Heritage.

image.jpeg

Unfortunately this will we a divisive topic once again for residents of West Kelowna. I am excited about this project as it is right in my neighbourhood and I look forward to the improvements it will bring.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: New Face of West Kelowna

Post by Leifer »

"divisive topic" ?
Who would be against trying to rebuild the downtown core with some new development?
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Leifer wrote:"divisive topic" ?
Who would be against trying to rebuild the downtown core with some new development?

Read the comments below the actual article. Anti-Westbankers. Some think a whole new downtown core should be created in a central West Kelowna location. Crazyness. Others don't want to spend money and think our City Hall should continue to operate in its current crowded location.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

Ah I see. Well there will always be detractors when municipalities want to move the ball forward and build a community.
Definitely some concern about the additional tax burden this will place on us (I am worried about that too).
I live in Lake View Heights (14 years....so a new comer). West Kelowna does suffer from some serious urban sprawl...I think this consolidation of the civic buildings into the "downtown core" is a great idea.
I hope the Westbank/West Kelowna bullsh*t does not rear its ugly head again.
Waste of everyone's time.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

We have lived in West Kelowna in the Westbank community coming up 13 years. Apparently there will be no tax burden with this as it is money that has been budgeted and it is a private/municipal partnership.

Can't wait for them to break ground! Plus the project at the Johnson Bentley. Good things are coming to West Kelowna!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

There is a good artists rendering on C-net this morning and I think it is going to be a very attractive project and god knows we need some beauty here.

I hope there is a clock ticking for the new owner of the property on 97 at Elliott where Cattlemen's (?) used to be. Please either raze it or fix it but do it quickly.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Wave101
Fledgling

Post by Wave101 »

Something is not right about the concept picture. There are only 50 parking spots for all the apartment buildings and municipal hall/health center. The municipal hall/health center alone needs at least 100 parking stalls for current and future needs.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Wave101 wrote:Something is not right about the concept picture. There are only 50 parking spots for all the apartment buildings and municipal hall/health center. The municipal hall/health center alone needs at least 100 parking stalls for current and future needs.

Did you read the article? There will be underground parking.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Thumbs up here.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

I also noticed the sold sign on one of the worst eyesores in Westbank. The TSA gas bar and the Cattle Country restaurant strip mall is in such need of a wrecking ball. I think the new City Hall location is a great one. It's about time. The Mount Boucherie location is dated and too small.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Does anybody know where the District of West Kelowna stands on hospital services or at least ER services on this side of the lake? I know it was a possibility a few years back, has it been buried or ???
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

TreeGuy wrote:We have lived in West Kelowna in the Westbank community coming up 13 years. Apparently there will be no tax burden with this as it is money that has been budgeted and it is a private/municipal partnership.

Can't wait for them to break ground! Plus the project at the Johnson Bentley. Good things are coming to West Kelowna!

That isn't what I heard. I heard they are borrowing at least $10 million privately and that this will be added on to our taxes over a period of ten years. I don't know about the rest of you but my taxes have doubled in the last five years due to sewers being put in, so I am not inclined to pay more taxes unless it is for some sorely needed medical services on this side of the lake. I've been here 30 years.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

pepsilover wrote:That isn't what I heard. I heard they are borrowing at least $10 million privately and that this will be added on to our taxes over a period of ten years. I don't know about the rest of you but my taxes have doubled in the last five years due to sewers being put in, so I am not inclined to pay more taxes unless it is for some sorely needed medical services on this side of the lake. I've been here 30 years.

What you heard and what I read are different, this is a quote from the article:
"The city says there will be no additional tax burden for residents related to the construction of the municipal hall and that costs will be assumed within the current 10-year financial plan."
Lizard
Fledgling

Post by Lizard »

TreeGuy,
Are you sure the area indicated on your map is indeed the location for this endeavor? I don't know, but I would think this project would be located on the property north of there, between Bering and Butt Roads, the property that I believe the municipality purchased a few years back and then fenced it off.

In any case, I think it will be a good thing.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Lizard wrote:TreeGuy,
Are you sure the area indicated on your map is indeed the location for this endeavor? I don't know, but I would think this project would be located on the property north of there, between Bering and Butt Roads, the property that I believe the municipality purchased a few years back and then fenced it off.

In any case, I think it will be a good thing.

Yes, that is the location behind Lordco.

Here is the original article from when they chose the location:

http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelowna/116928/New-site-for-civic-hall

The property you speak of is owned by IHA, at least that is my understanding.

Return to “Central Okanagan”