Please, clear your sidewalks

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Please, clear your sidewalks

Post by MAPearce »

This is Canada for christ sakes. If people haven't learnt by now to walk in a bit of snow then perhaps stay indoors

I know , right ? This can only be a surprise for for someone who has lived here less than one year.

Tell that to the many seniors who need to push a walker or use a scooter

I tell those "many seniors" to get the hell off my lawn . That's it's not their inherent right to use it as a short cut because they're old AND that the street is safer because it's smoother and flatter than the lawn they're trespassing on.

Give up on the frail old people crap would ya .If they're that concerned , they can call Handi Dart...It's cheap for seniors.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
cuba108
Fledgling

Post by cuba108 »

Jeez I'm away for the winter, can't imagine the dirty looks I'll get from the scooter folks when I return. I rake the leaves off daily in the fall but still get heck. I have tried for years to get someone to shovel snow when I'm away (for $$)but no luck with property managers, kid's on the block, or employment agencies.I have a neighbour who shovels my sidewalk for the mail person, but is just too old to do the outside walk, and I'm on a corner lot. I'm guessing I may be getting a by-law ticket.

As an aside, there is a well defined bike lane on one street, shouldn't the scooters be on it?
If no one has died on the table, you have not done enough surgeries.
Otter
Board Meister

Post by Otter »

If owners and/or residents of this city have to clean their sidewalks or face a fine why is it so many owners of empty lots in the downtown area are allowed to leave the sidewalks along their property covered in ice, snow, etc. for weeks?

Along Ellis there is at least one empty lot (across from the new Health Unit site) that hasn't seen a shovel nor any sand, etc. since the first snowfall, With the warming and freezing cycle in the last weeks that stretch of sidewalk has become a skating rink. There is no sidewalk available across the street because of the aforementioned construction project. Why has not the city gone after the owners of that piece of property to clean up their mess instead of going after elderly folks who are doing the best that they can?
yaktak
Fledgling

Post by yaktak »

MAPearce wrote:
I tell those "many seniors" to get the hell off my lawn .

Give up on the frail old people crap would ya

All I can say to this is. Wow!
I guess it does not really surprise me. Your past posts, suggest an unhappy and bitter attitude, towards old people, photographers, people walking down your street, pretty much anyone it seems.

Careful young fella, one day, you will be a frail old person.

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Jan 10th, 2016, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Otter, people or consortiums who are wealthy enough to have "holding property" downtown Kelowna are favoured by city Council and By-Laws. They are allowed to have garbage all over their property, weeds out of control, and let their sidewalks be uncleared.

Let's be clear, the snow clearing is only for retirees and working people who fail to clear it and By-Laws will get them. But absentee owners of empty lots get a free pass.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

yaktak wrote:Just shovel your sidewalk, would you please. Let's talk about your lawn in the spring.

Well if you read his posts you would know that he has "no sidewalk" and that his lawn goes right to the curb. (I think)
As well as people use his yard as a short cut all the time.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Jan 10th, 2016, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Have you got beer?
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

I'm pretty sure the thread is not about Ma. We all have opinions here and are entitled to them. I'm going to delete the off topic attacks and hope we can get back to the discussion. Thanks.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

LTD wrote:Have you got beer?

Of course .. The Seahawks are playing.

THANK GOD , I don't have a sidewalk to shovel !

After the game , I'm gonna take my buzz outside and watch "frail old seniors" trudge through ...

never mind .
Otter
Board Meister

Post by Otter »

Oops! I made an error in my last post - the street in question is not Ellis. It is Richter.

Sorry 'bout that, I'm always getting those two mixed up for some reason.

Off to hide my face in shame.
bunzeye74

Post by bunzeye74 »

I live in a residential neighbourhood in West Kelowna with the sidewalk in front of our house. A city official came by and advised us we had to remove the ice from the sidewalk. We had already cleared the snow. We were even outside talking to the guy. A few days later we received a letter telling us to remove the ice.
Funny enough some of our neighbours hadn't cleared any snow in a while and yet received no letter (we asked).
So is this just targeted harassment?
Just because the sidewalk is on our side doesn't mean we should be the only ones responsible for clearing it. The people who live across the street have use of the sidewalk as well. All they have to do is complain to the city and watch out their windows.
Time to start alternating days where both sides take turns.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I wonder if the big "resort style" retirement homes get letters too. Or are they too rich to pick on? The one downtown didn't clear any snow on their sidewalks all around them. The one out in Glenmore had ice pathways on their sidewalks.

So what is it going to be Kelowna? Everybody or just individuals you pick on?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
WheelWeaves
Fledgling

Post by WheelWeaves »

I don't have the picures handy but the BC Safety Authority building on spall/kent road, their entire sidewalk was a death trap and i'm an able bodied 26 year old, not a single level surface, no visible sidewalk, a rough walking path was carved by those brave enough to tread it, but you think someone called the Safety Authority would care about more than their front door access.
Now it's mostly melted but what an embarrassment...
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

You should see Rutland Rd. Last week, it was a disaster, too. And, so many of the bus stops were cleared just enough for the passengers that were getting on, BUT NOT for the ones getting off.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.

Return to “Central Okanagan”