Working to clear snow

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Kelowna Streets

Post by Captain Awesome »

Farmmaa wrote:City/Regional District - still tax money

We're talking about City of Kelowna streets and how City of Kelowna should be doing things differently.

Your suggestion is irrelevant.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Captain Awesome wrote:
Can you suggest a better deployment strategy that will provide better results within same budget?

Can you? Or better yet, can the person or group that actually has the job, answer your question.

FYI - The next time your hard drives dies and you need a lab, PM me. Thats what i do. I think Tree Guy is an arborist. I think his specialty is trees...
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

monroe wrote:FYI - The next time your hard drives dies and you need a lab, PM me. Thats what i do. I think Tree Guy is an arborist. I think his specialty is trees...

My specialty is twinkies.

Just thought since you're saying they need a better strategy for deployment that will deliver better results without costing more money you can say what they're doing wrong and how they can do it better. You know, if I said "They need to make Twinkies tastier", I'd be more than happy to tell you the ways they can improve it. Just sayin'...
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

If the city tried to meet the expectations of the whiners in this thread, the whiners would whine about the cost of snow removal going up.

The roads today are basically fine. So all of this bitching was over having to slow down for a couple of days. Like I said earlier, the people complaining about the roads drive too fast, follow too close, or are just all around terrible drivers.

If you feel the conditions aren't acceptable, you suck at driving and should stay home.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Captain Awesome wrote: My specialty is twinkies.

Just thought since you're saying they need a better strategy for deployment that will deliver better results without costing more money you can say what they're doing wrong and how they can do it better. You know, if I said "They need to make Twinkies tastier", I'd be more than happy to tell you the ways they can improve it. Just sayin'...

I think Twinkies are pretty close to perfection. As is our snow removal.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Captain Awesome wrote:
My specialty is twinkies.

Heart and minds brother. Hit the hi-pop residentials first or maybe just a bit quicker, is all. That said, i consider the service okay for Kelowna. Im from Red Deer so maybe a bit diluted.

When you read the headline where COK thinks it will have no problem staying inside their planned budget, this gives the impression theyre not vastly overblown or the demand is more than they can handle. So, its not like theyre doing things this way becuase theyre streched so maybe toss it up a little and rethink things a bit.

I like Twinkies. But a three pack would have been nice. I never had that option growing up.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

We had the plow show up and do the necessary plowing and gritting. Now this afternoon he showed up again and put more grit on the already very well gritted surface. There was nothing more to plow as whats left is solid hard packed stuff.
I can understand the priority system and the fact we were never high up the list but why have they now been twice in 24 hrs?
Otter
Board Meister

Post by Otter »

I'm very happy for those of you who have nice cleared and safe streets because the city decided to send someone out to your area. However, simply because YOUR area is safe doesn't mean that everyone else's area is safe. We're now in to the second...or is that third? week of no snowplows, no sand trucks, no nothing on the streets in our area which is RIGHT DOWNTOWN not three blocks from the RCMP station. (not that the RCMP have anything to do with street cleaning, just using it as a reference point for those of you who rarely come down this way.)

I was talking to one of my neighbors and she said that the streets were very slippery and she had felt very unsafe walking on the sidewalks as well as when she was crossing the street.

This area has many seniors living here who ARE able to drive but are afraid to because if they get in an accident because of poor road conditions, even if they do everything right, they will probably have their licenses taken away from them simply because they are over sixty.

How nice for you who life in the exclusive areas of Kelowna and are first on the list for street plowing because you have money and/or your neighbors' are some one with influence and can get anything done RIGHT NOW simply by asking.

Must be nice to be you.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Otter wrote:How nice for you who life in the exclusive areas of Kelowna and are first on the list for street plowing because you have money and/or your neighbors' are some one with influence and can get anything done RIGHT NOW simply by asking.

Yeah, us Rutland/Hooterville folks have a huge pull with the city.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

The ice doesn't bother me. If it's two millimetres or two meters thick, it isn't any more icy.
It's the stuff that gets compressed into ruts and the blobs that get squished into hard hunks bigger than Trump's ego that make it hard to drive thru.
Would be great to see a huge initial effort. I wonder if the costs of staff on stat holidays had anything to do with the snow removal efforts.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Otter wrote:How nice for you who life in the exclusive areas of Kelowna and are first on the list for street plowing because you have money and/or your neighbors' are some one with influence and can get anything done RIGHT NOW simply by asking.

Careful peasant. The Rutland chapter of the Skull & Bones club will have your sanitation service stopped as well if you dont pipe down.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We were at Waterfront Park today and the compacted ice and snow down at the Dolphins defies description. They can't even clear out one walking area properly and move snow onto the grassed areas.

How do we expect them to clear streets properly?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Were you the the paws for the dollar cause display?
At 12 bucks a head they should be able to afford competent snow removal.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Queen K wrote:We were at Waterfront Park today and the compacted ice and snow down at the Dolphins defies description. They can't even clear out one walking area properly and move snow onto the grassed areas.

How do we expect them to clear streets properly?

Hey, dont be so glass-half-empty Queen.

... dont forget, on the up side -
"On budget. The City of Kelowna is confident it will remain within its snow removal budget for 2015."
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

I wonder if any of the "posters" here know the residential streets where our councilors, mayor and city planner live? Are their streets cleaned faster or better than adjacent streets? You may as well add in the developers that paid for their elections and see how the streets are by their "shacks". Heaven forbid Jonathan Friesen's (Mission Group) wife's Range Rover might get dirty.

We won't have to worry about Charlie Hodge's street.......right Colin?

Return to “Central Okanagan”