Working to clear snow

60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Re: Working to clear snow

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

fluffy wrote:I live on a corner lot with a well traveled priority route beside and a low-traffic residential (flat) street in front. The priority route sees plows frequently, usually out in the wee hours following a snow event and numerous times during the day. The residential street saw plow action for the first time in a week a couple of days ago, but it hasn't been impassable for anyone with decent tires.

The local bylaw says residents are to have city sidewalks bordering their property cleared by 11AM, I generally have mine done soon after sun-up as there is significant foot traffic in the neighbourhood. I have to wonder how much effort the whiners here put into doing their own share of the work.

Hey I was just going ask truth if he did his sidewalk today..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

fluffy wrote:I live on a corner lot with a well traveled priority route beside and a low-traffic residential (flat) street in front.

I too live on a corner lot but at two residential streets. While neither roadway has yet to see a plow blade this winter the little COK sidewalk plow came by about an hour ago and cleared a path down the entire block on my side of my fronting street and half the block on the adjoining street. The plow stopped half way down the second street when the operator finally realized neither street has a sidewalk and he was just digging a trench in the gravel.
I wonder how many actual sidewalks go uncleared while the city plows nonexistent ones?
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Truth,

Why did you start a brand new thread to complain about snow removal when we already have a thread to complain about snow removal? in fact you even complained in that other thread already so you knew it existed?

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=65681
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

Atomoa wrote:
Are you are going to start plowing the road for everyone?

My Dad works for the city and puts in overtime when they need extra snowplow drivers. He started work at 5am and didn't get home till 11pm last night apparently.

I commend him, but thought you couldn't have a person driving a commercial vehicle for an 18 hour shift.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... dy.svg.png

Granted, this is the US, my point is driver fatigue which includes accidents, poor workmanship through error, and the heavy increase, (up to 25%) chance of something going wrong.
Driving truck in the past also makes me wonder how they can work an 18 hour day using logs. Unless they're fudging the numbers, I can't see that many hours being acceptable. I don't want anyone on the road who's been working that long.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

jamapple wrote:I commend him, but thought you couldn't have a person driving a commercial vehicle for an 18 hour shift.

Check your PM's
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

I've merged the two threads! :)
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
goalie
Übergod

Post by goalie »

In Montreal I got fined 150$ for leaving my car on the street when snow crews were working . This wasn't even downtown but a far out suburb of Montreal. Kelowna should do the same thing.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Are you are going to start plowing the road for everyone?

My Dad works for the city and puts in overtime when they need extra snowplow drivers. He started work at 5am and didn't get home till 11pm last night apparently.

Tell him to forget my road and take the rest of the day off.. Like I said , If they plow now , they'd just *bleep* everything up. We all have snow tires and shovels anyway .. We're good .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

jamapple wrote:I commend him, but thought you couldn't have a person driving a commercial vehicle for an 18 hour shift.

Maximum time they can work is 14 hours driving time, 16 hour shifts.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Well...It's a complete gong show in Rutland for snow removal.
People are so friggin stupid that they don't understand the concept of keeping vehicles off the road so that plow operators can do their job.
Also, just followed a plow truck for 10 minutes in our hood.
Idiot drivers should be fired!
Plowing at 50-60 kms/hr and the blade is not scraping down to the pavement, making a real mess on the roads.
Also plowing 2-3 feet from the curb as well.

Hurry up you idiot plow operators, do a lousy job, you still get paid the same money.
Idiots still parked on the streets after the plow is gone by the first time need their butts kicked.
The plow operator comes around again and again hoping for the vehicle owners to move their junk off the road, but nope, they are all brain dead.

The roads are a mess...time to start handing out fines for vehicles left on the road.
Time for some better operators.
Time to hire some bobcats to clear driveways for people who get left with a huge berm to clean.

Oh, this is Kelowna. what do you expect !

Oh, and by the way, I don't need a plow in front of my house, I shovel the road half a block in each direction, but some elderly are left with a real mess.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Maximum time they can work is 14 hours driving time, 16 hour shifts.

Yeup .. And he is working less than XX ( forgot the allowable ) amount of km's from his depot , is NOT commercial transport or Charter bus..

But more to the point , we got by without a plow this long by being aware that it's WINTER . The only people that might *bleep* about about lack of snow removal around here are elderly illegal parkers at this point ...

C o K , Please DON"T plow my road. It will just make a mess for what UV makes very clear.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

UltraViolet wrote:Well...It's a complete gong show in Rutland for snow removal.
People are so friggin stupid that they don't understand the concept of keeping vehicles off the road so that plow operators can do their job.
Also, just followed a plow truck for 10 minutes in our hood.
Idiot drivers should be fired!
Plowing at 50-60 kms/hr and the blade is not scraping down to the pavement, making a real mess on the roads.
Also plowing 2-3 feet from the curb as well.

Hurry up you idiot plow operators, do a lousy job, you still get paid the same money.
Idiots still parked on the streets after the plow is gone by the first time need their butts kicked.
The plow operator comes around again and again hoping for the vehicle owners to move their junk off the road, but nope, they are all brain dead.

The roads are a mess...time to start handing out fines for vehicles left on the road.
Time for some better operators.
Time to hire some bobcats to clear drivew

ays for people who get left with a huge berm to clean.

Oh, this is Kelowna. what do you expect !

Oh, and by the way, I don't need a plow in front of my house, I shovel the road half a block in each direction, but some elderly are left with a real mess.

Anything else you'd like to *bleep* about?....Snow is too white and it's hard on your eyes maybe.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Keep it civil people. It's not that hard.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I can relate to some of what UV is saying. I live on a nice wide street - in Rutland. I have to shovel out an additional 5 feet from my driveway because the snow plow operators only do the other side of the street. I'm guessing it is because the other side of the street has a sidewalk in the middle of the street. Not on either end, mind, just in the middle. The developer who built the condo complex only put sidewalk in front of that section.

I also park in front of my house, my husband parks in the driveway (he needs the electrical outlet, I don't). I keep my area shoveled, and as soon as the plow goes by I have to clear that too, or be snow-locked. The part I park on isn't the street, it's gravel.

I do wish people would move their cars though - parking downtown has become a bit of a nightmare. Almost got stuck today. Tomorrow the chains, shovel and salt go in the back.
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Central Okanagan”