Working to clear snow

dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Working to clear snow

Post by dirtybiker »

If they clear the roads of snow and ice it makes it tougher to follow the footy prints of all
the thieves and druggies running around. Sure slows down the speeding traffic too!
Not much for loud Harleys and Boats...wonder why???????? :skippingsheep:

Wow, just wow!!!!
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Hire bobcats to clear snow from the end of peoples driveways I cant believe I just read such a ridiculous comment not with my tax dollars get off your lazy *bleep* and do it yourself what an absolute hopeless mess society is becoming. Maybe in the summer the city can send someone over to rub sun screen on my face to. Berms at the end of driveways after plowing are your problem not the cities .
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LTD wrote:Hire bobcats to clear snow from the end of peoples driveways I cant believe I just read such a ridiculous comment not with my tax dollars get off your lazy *bleep* and do it yourself what an absolute hopeless mess society is becoming. Maybe in the summer the city can send someone over to rub sun screen on my face to. Berms at the end of driveways after plowing are your problem not the cities .

I agree but it would be less frustrating if they showed up before I cleared it the first time.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Well perhaps there should be some sort of a system to connect those unable to clear it themselves with people willing to come and do it for a nominal charge?

If you can't clear it yourself, that doesn't mean someone will do it for you free of charge... but there will always be someone that is willing to be hired to do it.

Nice neighbours do it often free of charge, but for those that don't know their neighbours... sorry but you gotta pay :) :fence:
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Somebody should make an Uber app for snowplowing.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You know that there are many sidewalks all over the place, flanked by resort living retirement homes not cleared.

Also, the city needs to give itself a ticket for not clearing the very long Cawston Corridor between a church and the Northwood Retirement place. Uncleared for days. Who is responsible for a very popular and well used portion of it?

Hotels too. A major hotel has an entire sidewalk behind it and it is completely uncleared.

And yet one woman is picked on by By-Laws to clear a sidewalk behind her house which she has to walk a long ways around to get to it.

But wait, a 7-11 is sitting there, two major sidewalks flanking it, both uncleared.

Same with an entire shopping plaza, completely uncleared.

So why pick on homeowners only?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

it hasnt really snowed for a few days .they should have most of the streets plowed by now.i dont really see many snow plows around though
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Flemish Street is a disgrace. Completely missed.

But Magic Estates was all taken care of.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

LTD wrote:Hire bobcats to clear snow from the end of peoples driveways I cant believe I just read such a ridiculous comment not with my tax dollars get off your lazy *bleep* and do it yourself what an absolute hopeless mess society is becoming. Maybe in the summer the city can send someone over to rub sun screen on my face to. Berms at the end of driveways after plowing are your problem not the cities .

Do you not have any consideration for the thousands of seniors that aren't capable of lifting and moving heavy packed snow?
Also...FYI.. I used to live in Alberta in a nice community called St. Albert, it was standard practice to have bobcats or front end loaders follow plows to cleanup berms and trouble areas, I think our taxes were $10-$20 a year more for this premium service. The residents loved it and no one struggled to move heavy packed snow.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Captain Awesome wrote:Somebody should make an Uber app for snowplowing.

Sean Griffith calls it the “drop dead moment” last year when 65 centimetres of snow fell in Moncton, N.B., in a day last winter. He and his business partner decided it was time to launch their business described as the Uber app for snow clearing.

Griffith, along with Joe Simms in Halifax, recently founded the Plow Me Out on-demand snow removal service, which is slated to open its virtual doors this weekend in Saint John and Halifax and then Moncton within a couple of weeks.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybr ... html?nhp=1
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

If you cant shovel the end of your own driveway then you can hire a neighborhood kid to do it or someone out the classifieds to do it or move into an apartment or walled city under no circumstance should our tax dollars be wasted on something so ludicrous . Never have I ever lived or heard of anywhere that would do this and find this unacceptable its the way its always been here and I don't see a problem with shoveling a little snow from the end of YOUR driveway . Oh and by the way you can always just leave it and drive right through it little hard on things when it freezes tho.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

oneh2obabe wrote:Sean Griffith calls it the “drop dead moment” last year when 65 centimetres of snow fell in Moncton, N.B., in a day last winter. He and his business partner decided it was time to launch their business described as the Uber app for snow clearing.

Griffith, along with Joe Simms in Halifax, recently founded the Plow Me Out on-demand snow removal service, which is slated to open its virtual doors this weekend in Saint John and Halifax and then Moncton within a couple of weeks.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybr ... html?nhp=1

Once again, that concept is full of holes. If you read the story, it fully explains that it uses the very snow removers that reside and work in that city. If a major snowfall occurs, all snow removal companies are going full out. You'd be waiting a long time. An app isn't going to get you any faster service then calling a cab at 1 am on New Years.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

There are a few companies offering this service. Some use contractors, some use high school/university students, some use a combination of both. It would be up to the homeowner to check out the various services offered and see if any fit their needs.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

If this city only had a clue how to deal with snow! Wow, the guy in their plow truck drove down my street, it was in better condition packed then when he left. All he left was a mess in front of everyone's driveway. The road it self sucked! I'll wait till spring, and keep shovelling to the road.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I think my first paycheck was for shoveling snow and the same with my son. For him I had to initiate it, put a sign up at the mailbox but had to take it down within the day because we wanted only 2 driveways. But he looked forward to snow, once you get that first paycheck you always want more, to him it was money falling from the sky.

Never too early to instill in kids how work ethic leads to financial reward. We're lucky to live in an enviroment that provides a way for them to learn this lesson. Not exactly sure why more don't take advantage.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.

Return to “Central Okanagan”