Working to clear snow

jamapple
Übergod

Re: Working to clear snow

Post by jamapple »

Poindexter wrote:I think my first paycheck was for shoveling snow and the same with my son. For him I had to initiate it, put a sign up at the mailbox but had to take it down within the day because we wanted only 2 driveways. But he looked forward to snow, once you get that first paycheck you always want more, to him it was money falling from the sky.

Never too early to instill in kids how work ethic leads to financial reward. We're lucky to live in an enviroment that provides a way for them to learn this lesson. Not exactly sure why more don't take advantage.

Did this in Winnipeg with my brother. We were literally kids, and made a crap pile of money! You're right. Get a little cash, and you want more. It was a great experience for us!! Can't see too many kids out there doing that these days. Cell phones and video games actually do pay for themselves.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

UltraViolet wrote:Do you not have any consideration for the thousands of seniors that aren't capable of lifting and moving heavy packed snow?
Also...FYI.. I used to live in Alberta in a nice community called St. Albert, it was standard practice to have bobcats or front end loaders follow plows to cleanup berms and trouble areas, I think our taxes were $10-$20 a year more for this premium service. The residents loved it and no one struggled to move heavy packed snow.

Great idea,

City should also cut my lawn and rake my leaves. I would pay an extra $10 a year for this.

:skippingsheep:
tweedy
Fledgling

WHY!!!!!!!!

Post by tweedy »

During the past month of snow our roads were plowed exactly once (lakeview heights)..except in the past few days we have been plowed at least 7 times..ok did clear the street thoroughly..thanks guys..but why why why..twice today..the second time a few min ago just after I shoveled the ice chunks out of the driveway..I mean we really could have used a few plowings through the big snow..why all of a sudden when you have cleared the street (finally) do you need to come back 7 times in three days :-X :-X
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Re: WHY!!!!!!!!

Post by dodgerdodge »

tweedy wrote:During the past month of snow our roads were plowed exactly once (lakeview heights)..except in the past few days we have been plowed at least 7 times..ok did clear the street thoroughly..thanks guys..but why why why..twice today..the second time a few min ago just after I shoveled the ice chunks out of the driveway..I mean we really could have used a few plowings through the big snow..why all of a sudden when you have cleared the street (finally) do you need to come back 7 times in three days :-X :-X

Yes we had pretty much the same in our cul de sac in West Kelowna, nothing when we needed it but twice a flipping day now we don't really need it. It does seem to lack logistical planning.
Otter
Board Meister

Post by Otter »

If you get a chance, would you ask one of those guys to take a run over some of the downtown residential side streets?

Thanks- snowbound...again...in downtown.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/we ... ia/kelowna heads up snow plow guys,if its not to much to ask, hit the streets before rush hour twomorow morning, drop some sand at the intersections too that would be nice
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

There should be plenty of work today for young people with strong backs.

Don't be greedy, charge a bit less and get more shoveling jobs, one should bring in easily $100 bux or more offering to work for cash.

:130:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Come and do mine for free and you can put your sign in my yard. It pays to advertise.
Black Dogs Matter
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Kelowna Streets

Post by dirtybiker »

Jonrox wrote: having to avoid certain roads because my car would bottom out due to the ruts being so deep... And having 2 lane roads permanently down to 1 lane because the snowbanks in the middle and sides of the road are so big they take up entire lanes.

I was just thinking this same thing.
Like running a slot car..

I lived on one such street, oh, and then throw in the fact that there were very few driveways also.
only on street, or alley access parking.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

none of the kids in my hood need to work.. I would be happy to pay a teen ( and well ima)
$100 Queenie? Nah they should be getting 20 a driveway and walk min - so they earn way more the a 100
Everything that kills me makes me feel alive
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Queen K wrote:There should be plenty of work today for young people with strong backs.

Don't be greedy, charge a bit less and get more shoveling jobs, one should bring in easily $100 bux or more offering to work for cash.

:130:

Way off the mark.

I used to make easily three times that back in the 70's.

Twenty driveways in a subdivision was easily attainable in a day, more if you still had the energy and drive.

Naturally I'm not talking 1/4 mile long driveways here but rather the typical type you find in a subdivision where you have parking for two, possibly four vehicles, and a sidewalk to the front door.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Dec 28th, 2017, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: baiting. removed.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

My kidlet has 3 properties (drives and walks) to do.
Likely 3 times each today.
Two for free, as it is the right thing to do, and ours,
included in allowance and chore duties.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 28th, 2017, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Return to “Central Okanagan”