Working to clear snow

Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Kelowna Streets

Post by Bpeep »

Aaaand just like I said...
http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/15 ... not-broken

Full capacity, haven't slowed down, working full on.
Yup. Uh huh.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

lol,lol,lol what a joke full capacity ?? is this a joke :200:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
tweedy
Fledgling

Post by tweedy »

Lakeview heights..Hawthorne road, haven't seen a snowplow yet..no mail delivery, no garbage pick up either :(
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Anonymous123 wrote:I was up in the Vernon area yesterday and the roads were black and wet, so I'm guessing that they use salt in the North Okanagan.

Guess again. We use Sand.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

Urgh, always people complaining about this every year.

We live in Canada, we get snow.

The city crews do work around the clock clearing the roads based on priority.

The trucks must make multiple passes on each road to fully clear the snow.

Now calculate how many kms of roads there are. Multiply that by how many passes they must do for each road.
And then think about the number of trucks, and the speed they can do this at.

Its simply not feasible to hit that much roadway without it taking some time.

And don't complain that there isn't enough equipment. As there are plenty of trucks, and this really is only an inconvienience for a handful of people maybe twice a year.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

I just spent the past 2 hours driving all over town - Mission, East Kelowna, Rutland, Enterprise, Burns, Etc - and didn't come across one single road that was not well plowed, cleared, bare and wet.
So, it seems that someone is plowing.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Farmmaa wrote:I just spent the past 2 hours driving all over town - Mission, East Kelowna, Rutland, Enterprise, Burns, Etc - and didn't come across one single road that was not well plowed, cleared, bare and wet.
So, it seems that someone is plowing.

Did you happen to drive down mitchel rd or thompson rd or hickory rd .. I didn't see a plow once on our streets except a buddy with one on his pickup helped a few people out quick.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Waaaaaa. Waaaaaa. Waaaaaa.

Why bother starting these threads. Just bump last years, and the year before, and the year before.......
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

As bad as you guys think the roads are, there wasn't an insane amount of accidents that I saw anywhere. This would lead me to believe the streets weren't bad at all. I drove around town just fine over the past few days. Is it summer driving conditions? No. But it's decent December driving conditions. And I can see a lot of roads from where I am right now, and I don't see a single one that I think is in remotely bad shape.

Maybe it's because I grew up in Saskatchewan where we had roads that went the entire winter without being plowed and we still managed to drive just fine. I remember having to avoid certain roads because my car would bottom out due to the ruts being so deep... and that's not in small town Saskatchewan. And having 2 lane roads permanently down to 1 lane because the snowbanks in the middle and sides of the road are so big they take up entire lanes.

I'd love to see some of you drive there. We're spoiled.

Slow down, take it easy, and come to grips with the fact that you live in Canada... where it snows.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

i think the real problem is the city is saying they have lots of plows out there,,lol lol lol , but no one has seen any ??

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/15 ... ot-broken-

crews have been at full capacity, lol what all 2 of them
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I wonder if they prefer working at night when traffic is lighter ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Otter
Board Meister

Post by Otter »

Live in downtown core and have yet to see even one sand truck or plow in our neighborhood. (Just off of Ellis St) The connecting streets -- Richter, etc, are seeing enough traffic to "clear" the street, but they are very slushy and if someone was to take a turn or try and pass a car at an intersection things could get bad real fast.

The lesser used side streets are basically just rutted snow and are very dangerous. Which brings up the question - who does one sue if there is an accident because of poor road clearing -- the drivers involved or the city for not giving a damn about the people who provide the money for the city employees' salaries?

the truth wrote:i think the real problem is the city is saying they have lots of plows out there,,lol lol lol , but no one has seen any ??

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/15 ... ot-broken-

crews have been at full capacity, lol what all 2 of them
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Anonymous123 wrote:I was up in the Vernon area yesterday and the roads were black and wet, so I'm guessing that they use salt in the North Okanagan.

Hassel99 wrote:Guess again. We use Sand.

Could you come over and wash the salt residue off my truck then?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Lol
headline of the day -

"On budget
The City of Kelowna is confident it will remain within its snow removal budget for 2015.
"

... At the rate we've seen truck's in our neighborhood the past few days, the city should end up with a surplus.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Saw a COK pickup with a front blade trying to plow the ice off the alley between Knox Crescent and Pandosy today.
What a waste of time and money.

Return to “Central Okanagan”