How can we get the message out before it's dry?

tsayta
Lord of the Board

Re: How can we get the message out before its dry?

Post by tsayta »

tsayta wrote:I agree. I am crazy. Problem is...I don't smoke
(reference Cap'n Obvious again)
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

SteWe wrote:sorry, but a fire won't start this time of the year throwing your cigarette out of the window.

You're likely correct but besides it being litter it is a habit that shouldn't be allowed as come drier seasons 'old habits die hard'. Too many fires are started by those tossed butts! Last Summer I saw many butts tossed when it was very hot and dry.
Edit to add
To Quailize----I didn't read your post before I submitted mine! Looks like we had the same thoughts.
ohgeeze
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by ohgeeze »

tsayta wrote:This could be the earliest known start to the forest fire threads forum

I hear ya...butt (lol) I feel it's good to get people talking now. Maybe they could add it to the new HOV signs :200:
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

Should be able to pull people over that are visibly smoking and fine them for no ashtray.
Strong and free
davis123
Board Meister

Post by davis123 »

Zoso wrote:Should be able to pull people over that are visibly smoking and fine them for no ashtray.

oh my gawd does this same old subject really have to start up again in January, so zoso you want to pull smokers' over because you assume they have no ashtray? How in gawds name do you know what is or isn't in their vehicle?? And you think the police should just start pulling over anyone they see smoking, sure, let's also have them start pulling everyone over who has a Tim's or Starbucks coffee in their hand as well..because they just might throw it out the window, or let's fine them if they don't have a garbage bag in the car too.

How about you people try and discuss the idiots who throw butts/garbage out the window, instead of the snippy comments that people shouldn't be smoking, there seems to be this assumption that ALL smokers throw butts out the window, obviously that is not a true statement. The same idiots flicking smokes out are the same idiots who would throw a bag of garbage out the window.
ohgeeze
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by ohgeeze »

oh my gawd does this same old subject really have to start up again in January, so zoso you want to pull smokers' over because you assume they have no ashtray? How in gawds name do you know what is or isn't in their vehicle?? And you think the police should just start pulling over anyone they see smoking, sure, let's also have them start pulling everyone over who has a Tim's or Starbucks coffee in their hand as well..because they just might throw it out the window, or let's fine them if they don't have a garbage bag in the car too.

How about you people try and discuss the idiots who throw butts/garbage out the window, instead of the snippy comments that people shouldn't be smoking, there seems to be this assumption that ALL smokers throw butts out the window, obviously that is not a true statement. The same idiots flicking smokes out are the same idiots who would throw a bag of garbage out the window

I agree with 99% of what you have said. I started the original post...why wait till summer when it could be to late.
davis123
Board Meister

Post by davis123 »

ohgeeze wrote:
I agree with 99% of what you have said. I started the original post...why wait till summer when it could be to late.

The people who toss the butts/garbage etc. out the car window or dump a pile of crap out in the bush or wherever, are completely selfish idiots, other than beating sense into them how are you going to 'educate' these knobs? This isn't anything new, posting signs, radio/tv commercials, all over the media, etc etc etc but yet they continue to do it every single day.

What do you suggest we try, that hasn't been tried yet, that these littering morons would understand? You can't fix stupid, and unfortunately that is exactly what is wrong with people like that. But we could at least up the fines for littering to 5000$ or so and maybe that might make those people think twice about doing it.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

davis123 wrote:The people who toss the butts/garbage etc. out the car window or dump a pile of crap out in the bush or wherever, are completely selfish idiots, other than beating sense into them how are you going to 'educate' these knobs? This isn't anything new, posting signs, radio/tv commercials, all over the media, etc etc etc but yet they continue to do it every single day.

What do you suggest we try, that hasn't been tried yet, that these littering morons would understand? You can't fix stupid, and unfortunately that is exactly what is wrong with people like that. But we could at least up the fines for littering to 5000$ or so and maybe that might make those people think twice about doing it.

Well, we actually have tog et the cops out there giving out these tickets for it to work.
hail Satan y'all
ohgeeze
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by ohgeeze »

The people who toss the butts/garbage etc. out the car window or dump a pile of crap out in the bush or wherever, are completely selfish idiots, other than beating sense into them how are you going to 'educate' these knobs? This isn't anything new, posting signs, radio/tv commercials, all over the media, etc etc etc but yet they continue to do it every single day.

I've only lived here 8 years this July, so I'm not sure what has been tried, so maybe my suggestions have already failed. Why though can the government of BC come up with something. I don't know...maybe as soon as you enter the province you get a warning on your cell phone, "Admire our Province...don't start a Fire". IDK...as much as I hate garbage floating around...fires scare the bejeebus out of me.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

davis123 wrote:What do you suggest we try, that hasn't been tried yet, that these littering morons would understand? You can't fix stupid, and unfortunately that is exactly what is wrong with people like that. But we could at least up the fines for littering to 5000$ or so and maybe that might make those people think twice about doing it.

Anyone caught throwing a cigarette outside should be forced to help fight forest fires for a whole season. If they are not physically able then they are on support for those who are. Let them see close up what can happen!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
ohgeeze
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by ohgeeze »

Anyone caught throwing a cigarette outside should be forced to help fight forest fires for a whole season. If they are not physically able then they are on support for those who are. Let them see close up what can happen!

Problem is Bsuds...us civilians can't enforce that type of law. Perhaps more cops should be hired, patrol on bicycles? However, I've seen many an officer parked beside someone using their cell phone and not do a thing about it. Sigh.
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

SteWe wrote:sorry, but a fire won't start this time of the year throwing your cigarette out of the window.

This is very true but you can bet if they are in a habit of discarding butts out the window in the winter they will do the same in the summer.

With Fire Prevention and Preparedness we do not wait until we are having fire starts.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

The last thing I want nor need is some idiot who throws his butts out the window in the winter, (but not the summer.....ya, right), telling me when the right time of year it is when there is no chance of a fire being started by their butts out the window. The argument that you can't start a fire this time of year by throwing a butt out your window is lame to begin with. Quit defending stupid actions. it makes you look dumb!
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

jamapple wrote:The last thing I want nor need is some idiot who throws his butts out the window in the winter, (but not the summer.....ya, right), telling me when the right time of year it is when there is no chance of a fire being started by their butts out the window. The argument that you can't start a fire this time of year by throwing a butt out your window is lame to begin with. Quit defending stupid actions. it makes you look dumb!

Also its gross. Even if it may not start a fire, who wants cigarette butts thrown all over?? Can't you get a ticket from littering?
hail Satan y'all
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

100,000 years from now some future mining company will be harvesting a vein of 'tobaccotite'. Scientists will say it naturally forms along veins of 'ashphaltite'
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW

Return to “Central Okanagan”