Kelowna Mountain Foreclosure

zerograv
Banned

Re: Kelowna Mountain Foreclosure

Post by zerograv »

OK well that 2000 seems to be more people liking it than complaining about it. Didn't address trip advisor either, most likely because you have no rebuttal. You really sound like this is some sort of vendetta. How does it affect you at all? Last I checked tourists destinations is what this area thrives on.
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

zerograv wrote:It's highly rated on facebook and I think #28 out of hundreds on trip advisor. Obviously a lot of people enjoy it regardless of what a small majority of the whine about everything castanut crowd says.

They are opening may long apparently.

#28 out of hundreds? Or just over 100 (116 to be exact, which puts this in the top 25%...nice, but not spectacular).

The last review was 2 weeks ago about a visit in August 2014 (or August 2015 as she doesn't seem to have timelines in order). That was the last positive review. After that come two terrible reviews. Then a positive one by someone who trespassed calling the place "spooky, dirty, and generally weird". Followed by a bunch of suspiciously positive reviews after other guests have already talked about the place falling into shambles.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

zerograv wrote:OK well that 2000 seems to be more people liking it than complaining about it. Didn't address trip advisor either, most likely because you have no rebuttal. You really sound like this is some sort of vendetta. How does it affect you at all? Last I checked tourists destinations is what this area thrives on.

Of course - because no one is permitted to say anything negative or it is deleted.

No, I didn't address the Trip Advisor thing, because it is meaningless as well. Have enough friends, family and staff giving you great reviews.....and voila.
I don't pay much attention to any of the comments or reviews for that very reason - I've stayed in places that I loved and you can find lots of reviews from people complaining about the same place. Most businesses stack their review sites with positive feedback...rarely are the comments all from real customers.
Meaningless.

I have never hidden how I feel about this ridiculous development and the actions of the developer.
That's not a vendetta - just disgust.

It affects me because I happen to live here.
To suggest that some poorly constructed bridges that have proven to be unsafe, and a concert stage on the side of a mountain built for only the rich and 'famous', that was only actually used a handful of times, is an important tourist destination for our city is laughable.

I've heard lots of people say they come to the Okanagan for the mountains, the lake, the outdoor activities, the natural beauty, the weather, the beaches, the golfing or skiing.
I've never once heard anyone say that they came here to see Kelowna Mountain.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

"Built for the rich and famous"

I understand your hatred now. Plain as day.

Ever been there?
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

I have. It's a laughing stock! I see you haven't been, (unless, you were a part of the "invite only" group of ....ok, rich, not famous people), for if you saw it at any other time, other then the day Mr. Consiglio was looking for more cash....ummm, investors, you'd have to agree.
Descriptive words like creepy, etc, are not words used to describe a viable, tourist attraction, unless, of course, you were on trip adviser giving a thumbs up to some Disneyland/Universal Pictures theme park ride, which I don't believe the poster was talking about.
It's falling apart severely now, and was never built with great workmanship. Again, I have seen it firsthand, and if you have also, then our version of a tourist attraction differ immensely!!
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

zerograv wrote:"Built for the rich and famous"

I understand your hatred now. Plain as day.

Ever been there?

My hatred ? LOL Pretty dramatic isn't it ?
First it was a vendetta, now it's hatred ?
Fairly childish and ridiculous accusations.

The hastily built 'Welcome Centre' , patios and band stand where indeed built to try to entice rich investors...nothing hateful about my saying that at all...it's the truth.

Yes, I've been there. It's a joke.
The bridges are dangerous and sketchy, held together and patched with 2x4s and several tons of nails.
The 'pond' was a small swamp full of weeds and algae.
There were half dead boxwoods in all of the planters around the 'stage', yards and yards of dead sod that was never laid out properly or watered after that first opening night gala.
Their focal point - a fountain with horrible looking irrigation pipe sticking out all over it. ( hint - you're supposed to hide your mechanics )
The 'boardwalk' around the scummy pond was never attached, so it wobbled and moved when you tried to walk on it.
The waterfall stopped working after their first season.
Building materials and garbage were simply left laying all over the site...for years - including a big, rotting pile of the expensive snow carpet for his hair-brained snowboard park.
The stones in the main staircase are falling apart.
Pieces and parts of the chairlifts scattered from the top of the hill down to the main service road...all rusting away.
Miles of fence posts and wires half pounded in to solid rock to give the appearance of a vineyard.

A tourist destination ? Seriously ?
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Some of the 'great reviews'.....

Sure great views from there, but not worth the price of $25 pp to walk some bridges. Many parts are in disrepair, and not well maintained. Owner had an interesting extravagant vision, but doesn't have the money to finish it and is now in court for defaulting on his mortgage; so not expecting things to get better anytime soon. Go to Myra canyon trestles and get the views and bridge walks for free.
Visited October 2015

Probably the worst place in North America for a wedding. Difficult to find running water, none of it drinkable. The day before we realized the 1,000 lb. propane tank was as good as empty, but they did bring in portable tanks the day of (which we were unable to hook up ). Fairly new building but looked unfinished and run down. Looked like it was slapped together in 30 days. Expensive to rent but very beautiful views of Kelowna and the valley.
Visited July 2015

There are a number of suspension bridges at the top (which I later found out are unmaintained) but seemed to be in good shape. We also found a dirty antique couch, dozens of wicker type lawn chairs thrown everywhere, a cave with a huge chandelier, an enormous Roman-type sundial, and a general weird vibe. Kinda looked like the remains of a post-apocalyptic party. The fact that we were alone up there added to the spook factor. Still worth the trip as long as you don't mind the hike.
Visited October 2015

Today I visited the Kelowna Mountain Vineyards and Bridges Agribusiness venue with my family. Unfortunately what the venue advertises as a vineyard and agribusiness facility is just a yard in a total state of abandonment. The bridges are still in a fair condition, don't know for how long. The pond is set to soon become a marshland with a few koi fishes set to perish because of the lack of maintenance. The waterfall does not exist, not even a tiny stream. Walking along the boardwalk around the pond is a dangerous adventure since most of the board is totally loose, even with some boards missing. Unfortunately what it was supposed to be an enjoyable visit turned to be a junkyard with bridges and they charged $48 dollars for the ugly journey, sorry no refund was the manager's response when I expressed my disappointment. A total scam, as far as I am concerned not in line with Kelowna’s world class tourist services and offers.

( Might do you some good to check out this person's photos)

That's just on the first page...should I continue for you ?
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Oh GOOD GRIEF people - in particular zerograv and Farmmaa - stop making it personal. Read the rules: NO PERSONAL ATTACKS.

I've removed a good number of posts already, don't plan to go through to remove more.

If you are making a personal attack, you are breaking the rules.

If you are responding to a personal attack, you are breaking the rules.

REPORT personal attacks, DON'T RESPOND to them.

I can't be any clearer than that.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

C’mon put the chairlift up and there’ll be plenty of business towards a recovery.

Sorry folks, I use the above video as a quick fix because I couldn't get the old Warren Miller video to display here.

Still, for a BC perspective here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vsrs__-VYo

But then maybe the first could serve to demonstrate how the 'Mountain' might draw an international crowd.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Pat-Taporter wrote:Still, for a BC perspective here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vsrs__-VYo

But then maybe the first could serve to demonstrate how the 'Mountain' might draw an international crowd.

Yup, sand skiing the cutbanks is what's made Prince George a tourist mecca...should work here.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Cowabunga! Totally stoked to have it here. I still got my Kastle CPMTI 185s.
TedD
Board Meister

Post by TedD »

Pat-Taporter wrote:C’mon put the chairlift up and there’ll be plenty of business towards a recovery.

Here's better dirt skiing. It's like the Chinese Downhill...

https://vk.com/video-6957194_171525134? ... 83e903bd77
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

kerrrrrr-razy!!!!
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Cool..but...unless they can manage rock skiing, Kelowna Mountain is out.
Not even enough soil up there to grow grapes in.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Farmmaa wrote:Cool..but...unless they can manage rock skiing, Kelowna Mountain is out.
Not even enough soil up there to grow grapes in.

Truck the dirt in. Cheaper than trying to make and hold snow there (cough), or putting in plastic. And I need to go yo-yo because my knees won't take the traversing or herringboning back up any more.

But then there's the Midlothian Snowsports Centre in Scotland.

Ha, ha, ha, when I first went there we were hotdog-slaloming around the sheep that were nibbling on the grass growing to hold the mats in place.

But here's the potential for a place like that.

Safety first with putting up and operating the chair though. I'm sad for what happened up at Crystal.

Return to “Central Okanagan”