Canada Revenue Agency scam - block 613-927-9763

rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Canada Revenue Agency scam - block 613-927-9763

Post by rekabis »

Just got targeted by the CRA scam that is making the rounds these days. Got phoned at home by this very aggressive man with a rather thick French accent. He threatened legal action if compliance was not immediate. My SO had taken the call, but when I phoned back (I am at work right now), he said that I will be receiving a letter in the mail and hung up on me without any further conversation. A Google search of the number he phoned in on comes up with page after page flagging it as a scam. Clearly, there is plenty of paint on this scope.

Tell everyone you know to block the phone number on their phones. Most important are any elderly acquaintances and relatives, as it is a known scientific fact that the last decade or three of life sees a serious weakening of a person’s “*bleep* detectors” -- as such the elderly are particularly credulous, which is why they fall most often for scams like this one.

FYI.

Edit: most cell phones allow you to add blocked numbers manually, and all allow you to add blocked numbers once the number has been used (incoming or outgoing). Traditional POTS land lines via Telus should be able to have the number blocked by the Telus account functions.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Re: Canada Revenue Agency scam - block 613-927-9763

Post by tsayta »

I had that one too. Stupid asshat left a message. Why on earth leave a message. If i get him live, i will invite him to 'pop on by' to collect. hehehe
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

rekabis wrote:Traditional POTS land lines via Telus should be able to have the number blocked by the Telus account functions.

Only if you are paying for all the features. If you just have the basic phone you can't block numbers.
It's not worth the extra $15 per month.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

I get e-mail maybe 3 or 4 times a year, pretty legit looking but they need your credit card number for the refund haha. Not that dumb but some are I'm sure.
Sure do love Rutland!!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I'm surprised people fall for this but whatever.

I also got a message. If you don't respond ASAP "This legal action will come upon you".
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Just check My Account with CRA to see if you actual owe any monies, if there is no monies owed next time that call comes.

Tell whomever to go *blank* themselves or hang up (which ever one works for you)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

waste their time.

Tell them you need to go put your hearing aids in then go do your grocery shopping
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Hassel99 wrote:waste their time.

Tell them you need to go put your hearing aids in then go do your grocery shopping

Here's another one, just yell: Mom its for you & lay the phone down…… meanwhile go back to watching TV
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

tsayta wrote:I had that one too. Stupid asshat left a message. Why on earth leave a message. If i get him live, i will invite him to 'pop on by' to collect. hehehe

Me too, but I simply give them rekabis' number.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

They can also use local cell numbers in their caller ID, so you can block, but your blocking some random persons phone. Call them back and some nice Kelowna stranger will tell you they haven't touched their phone in hours. I know this because people have called my cell saying I just called, and I had not.

I like to waste their time, and let them get excited, and then Captain Foul Mouth makes an appearance :smt045
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So with all the stories on the News how can people be so stupid to still fall for this scam?
There was a woman tonight on Global News who lost $8000 to this.
Don't they even clue in when the are asked to go to the store and purchase pre paid Visa cards!

So sad but I am hard pressed to have any sympathy for being so stupid.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Central Okanagan”