Bad drug warning

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Bad drug warning

Post by the truth »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#158756 - honestly is there a point to this warning, all junkies and drug users know the risks involved with the lifestyle,so whats the point in the warning ?
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Pkunko
Fledgling

Re: Bad drug warning

Post by Pkunko »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 17th, 2016, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

the truth wrote:http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-158756-1-.htm#158756 - honestly is there a point to this warning, all junkies and drug users know the risks involved with the lifestyle,so whats the point in the warning ?

harm reduction - not elimination

their lives have value too ya know
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

how's that working out ?
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

the truth wrote:how's that working out ?

what do you mean?
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Not everyone who uses drugs is a "junkie" or even an addict. Some do so recreationally, some are experimenting and don't really know what they're doing.

And why the warning? Because sometimes it's all that can be done. Writing a press release is fast, cheap, and just might help someone. This warning is a mystery to you because you can't fathom why anyone would bother helping someone who uses drugs. This warning comes from street-level outreach workers. That's their mandate. They reach out.

No one who works with addicts or understands addiction would believe that this warning is going to make a hardened user, stop using. This warning is aimed at that 20 yr old UBCO student who might be offered something in a niteclub or at a party this weekend. Or is it not worth warning them either?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

JayByrd wrote: Some do so recreationally, some are experimenting and don't really know what they're doing.

Well, I don't feel sorry for any fools who use drugs, or feel that they need to try any for any purpose.
Kelowna is full of druggies and drug dealers, and this City needs to be cleaned up of this garbage once and for all.

I guess all the last 50 years of warnings about staying away from drugs hasn't helped a bit, seeing as there is such a high demand in our City.

People are so stupid.......
Life is worth nothing to drug users or those who feel they need to experiment with this crap!
I guess the churches need to be more involved in drug use and start recruiting these fools to teach them what life is all about.
It appears that many don't have a clue of how life should be.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

UltraViolet wrote:Well, I don't feel sorry for any fools who use drugs, or feel that they need to try any for any purpose.
Kelowna is full of druggies and drug dealers, and this City needs to be cleaned up of this garbage once and for all.

I guess all the last 50 years of warnings about staying away from drugs hasn't helped a bit, seeing as there is such a high demand in our City.

People are so stupid.......
Life is worth nothing to drug users or those who feel they need to experiment with this crap!
I guess the churches need to be more involved in drug use and start recruiting these fools to teach them what life is all about.
It appears that many don't have a clue of how life should be.

The same can be said about alcohol or various forms of other recreational substances that others may say the same thing about.

You'd be surprised how many people use drugs and you'd never even know it. The illegal drug industry is one of the most lucrative markets raking in obscene amounts of money. I highly doubt that they're making so much money from "junkies" on the street.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

It's not always hardcore addicts who die. Sometimes it's just the occasional act of stupidity of young adults which I don't think the penalty should be death.
So who's it hurt by informing the public? If anything it may get one of those rare users spooked.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

"Bad drug warning". Kind of like saying "Cold ice warning".

:(
I haven't failed until I quit.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Kelowna will be fine as long as the cocaine doesn't suddenly become overly potent or poisonous....if it does, prepare to make world news!
Sure do love Rutland!!
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

UltraViolet wrote:Well, I don't feel sorry for any fools who use drugs, or feel that they need to try any for any purpose.

I don't feel sorry for idiots on crotch-rockets who kill themselves with reckless riding, but that doesn't mean we should eliminate traffic lights, speed limits and driving regulations.

This doesn't happen with alcohol - people going blind from bad batches.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

let me know when there is a good drug warning. warning these drugs are really good you better get some while they last
Kelownabusinessman
Fledgling

Post by Kelownabusinessman »

LOL there will ALWAYS be that person(s) who just say "Don't do drugs, that simple" that's funny, addiction is a terrible disease...I've dealt with it and currently am trying to deal with it, some of you may be addicted to something, whether its that beer or wine after work, or that cigarette after sex...that's addiction.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Kelownabusinessman wrote:LOL there will ALWAYS be that person(s) who just say "Don't do drugs, that simple" that's funny, addiction is a terrible disease...I've dealt with it and currently am trying to deal with it, some of you may be addicted to something, whether its that beer or wine after work, or that cigarette after sex...that's addiction.

Addictions can be terrible. They can be treated, if the party is willing. But it is hard and many are not willing. Addiction can be managed. I have an addictive personality - runs in my family. I allow coffee and books to be my outlet. I refuse to do drugs or smoke because I have seen what can happen. Alcohol could be a problem, but I limit my intake and if anyone in my circle said they were concerned it would be cut out of my life. Even tv - I have troubles turning it off. That was one of the reasons (the other being money) that we cut the ties to cable or satellite years ago.

It comes down to awareness. Awareness of family history, of your own reactions. Awareness of your mental health and developing good coping methods. Taking responsibility for yourself. Kelownabusinessman, kudos to you for recognizing it and I wish you all the best in dealing with it. It never goes away, but you can put the monster in a cage; you can redirect it.

This is a good article on it http://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/the_addicted_brain
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Central Okanagan”