Tourism Kelowna - Queensway

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Tourism Kelowna - Queensway

Post by Fancy »

That's been in the news for quite a while.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Seriously? Yet another interesting bit of info I got one was unaware of. So this is strictly a place to pickup some brochures, chat with a smiling face and confirm what a visitor gleaned from the web prior to visiting, and will have no administration offices? If so, then it even further reinforces the fact it's completely unnecessary.[/quote]

There will also be events or gatherings in there. I am guessing mostly for TK members.
I suspect special event will be popular on summer evenings.
I often wonder just how this will unfold, do they push all display items/fixtures to one corner ? Or hang out on the mostly going to be used for services...mezzanine..?
A few unanswered questions..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Fancy wrote:That's been in the news for quite a while.

Fancy - even you must acknowledge that just because something is mentioned in one of many articles on this - doesn't mean everyone sees every single news item. It's a detail I was unaware of, just as I'm sure others are. There's countless sections of the criminal code that have been on the books for decades and available to anyone - yet like many others I sure as heck don't know them all.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

Again, kiosks would do the same thing. Set one up at the park, as I have seen in previous years. Set one up in Orchard Park, set one up wherever. With the development going on on Water Street, it is already hard to see the lake. Kiosks would serve the purpose for tourists and there would be lots of parking in the mall area, which is NOT available downtown already. People, citizens, are going to be screaming and the frustration will be visible, I'm sure. Look at Vernon's center, just before you get into the city. Looks great, catches the eye, even of the locals, and lots of parking.
Plus, aren't they destroying the boat launch downtown?? Sure tourists are going to love that fact, too.
As for Queensway, they built that bus exchange there, but it is NOT great for riders, when the wind is blowing, or the snow is blowing around there. The island part is great, it has shields, but none for the 97 buses.
With the TC, it is another fiasco for the downtown core. If we get another year, next year, of severe flooding, who will pay for the damages that the tourist center incurs??
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
SteWe
Fledgling

Post by SteWe »

WalterWhite wrote:
Thanks for pointing out the obvious as that's exactly why a flashy new lakeside edifice for a special interest group on public land is completely unnecessary. Just about anything any tourist or visitor needs to know they can and will find online without navigating their way through a strange place to find the aforementioned holy grail of tourism information booths.

People in favour of the centre shouldn't have to be burdened by the apparent choice you're making to only use 1 out of your 5 senses, or perhaps 2 if you like sound coming out of whatever device you're using to peruse the internet. ;)
SteWe
Fledgling

Post by SteWe »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Umm they just asked random people in a poll 70 PLUS percent Against.. I am guessing not your circle of friends.

umm no, that would an anonymous poll on Castanet which is hardly a measure of anything. ;) Is that your circle of friends I'm guessing?
SteWe
Fledgling

Post by SteWe »

WalterWhite wrote:
Seriously? Yet another interesting bit of info I for one was unaware of. So this is strictly a place to pickup some brochures, chat with a smiling face and confirm what a visitor gleaned from the web prior to visiting.

lol - someone's a little older and hasn't been to a tourist centre lately. In your day, that's indeed what happened. I remember too. But change is good and centres like these move with the change thank goodness.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

SteWe wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:
Thanks for pointing out the obvious as that's exactly why a flashy new lakeside edifice for a special interest group on public land is completely unnecessary. Just about anything any tourist or visitor needs to know they can and will find online without navigating their way through a strange place to find the aforementioned holy grail of tourism information booths.

People in favour of the centre shouldn't have to be burdened by the apparent choice you're making to only use 1 out of your 5 senses, or perhaps 2 if you like sound coming out of whatever device you're using to peruse the internet. ;)

If you seriously need to use your nose or tongue to find something, then finding a tourist info booth is the least of your concerns.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

SteWe wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:
Seriously? Yet another interesting bit of info I for one was unaware of. So this is strictly a place to pickup some brochures, chat with a smiling face and confirm what a visitor gleaned from the web prior to visiting.

lol - someone's a little older and hasn't been to a tourist centre lately. In your day, that's indeed what happened. I remember too. But change is good and centres like these move with the change thank goodness.

Explain then why that could not be accomplished much more efficiently with mobile kiosks spread out around a much larger area?
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

WalterWhite wrote:
Explain then why that could not be accomplished much more efficiently with mobile kiosks spread out around a much larger area?

Because it isnt about the tourist rather, it is all about TK and their friends getting to use a waterfront property for gatherings and business schmoozing and the like.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

kelownman wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:

Because it isnt about the tourist rather, it is all about TK and their friends getting to use a waterfront property for gatherings and business schmoozing and the like.

B-I-N-G-O!
SteWe
Fledgling

Post by SteWe »

kelownman wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:

I think you might be referring to the Yacht club.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

kelownman wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:

SteWe wrote:I think you might be referring to the Yacht club.

Raises an interesting point. Why didn't TK propose a partnership with the yacht club in the planning of the new facility to incorporate the TK space into the same building?
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Because the Yacht Club is smart enough not to rent a waterfront parcel for 50 bux a month or year.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Central Okanagan”