Tourism Kelowna - Queensway

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Tourism Kelowna - Queensway

Post by GordonH »

RV owners will see the location of tourist information (downtown core), most will notice it's not worth hassle. Then do 1 of 2 things, either go online (best way) or just say the hell with it and move on. COK clearly more interested with the hotel visitors/walk in's.

Here is a link for those tourist to look at http://www.tourismkelowna.com/plan/visi ... e/digital/
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
jobman

Post by jobman »

The original cost repayment for the tourism building was to include a "robust retail component", but no definition of what they would sell. Fruit pies, I love Kelowna shirts were never mentioned. The second release of information made no reference to retail sales. The 9 months when there are few tourists and therefore no income will cause them to come up with the same bright ideas the Delta did, pre cooked burgers , frozen fries and soft serve powdered ice cream on the walkway.They will say they want to sell wine tours, wine getaways, helicopter tours, bus tours, boat tours but all those businesses do quite well without another promoter taking a cut and using our tax dollars and nicest location to do it.
Lets all cheer on Ms Simpson to take this matter to court.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

how many millions will are city hall spend to fight this again in court :-X
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

hahahaha when will these idiots figure out they cant just do whatever they want if they even think about wasting a tax payers dollar fighting this they should all be fired
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Post by Straight Shooter »

Reminds me of the City of Kelowna fighting the Newton's in Glenmore, the Serwa's in the Mission and anyone else that fought city hall and won. I hate it when the C of K tries to flex its muscles and it ends up costing the tax payers hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal costs. Way to go Sharon!
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

Red Herring Alert!!

The bigger picture for the Queensway location is that the same players who challenged the Simpson Covenant before are trying another end run around it.

Certain well established players here have difficulty accepting and respecting Stanley Simpsons contributions to Kelowna's heritage which, in fact, predates their more recent developmental aspirations.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Being one myself I can comment on this....can you imagine some of those seniors who can barely see over the steering wheel driving those HUGE scary RVs and hauling those behemoth travel trailers trying to negotiate down town Kelowna streets and traffic? LOL

Besides Sharon S has already got her back up and is shaking her finger in warning :1422: ...lol
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I will be expressing my opinion to city hall on this, they have an obligation to honour the covenant and not allow this building to go ahead. Seriously, why do they keep trying to pull crap like this? I posted in another thread yesterday that we no longer have any collective sense of history or community in this town. Today I realise how much sense it makes that we don't, when our civic leaders are the first in line to try to tear down or skirt something as community oriented as the Simpson Covenant. They should be ashamed of themselves. I fear what will become of that area of town when Ms. Simpson is no longer around to call them out on breaking the covenant.
Ccrider

Post by Ccrider »

This is a terrible location for the Tourism Kelowna building, the reasons for which have been clearly stated by the citizens of Kelowna in this forum. Our city council and Mayor seem to have a hard time listening to the people that they are supposed to be representing. Open your eyes and your ears Mr. Mayor and cohorts! No more Buildings on the waterfront, especially ones with office space! If Kelowna Tourism needs new office space, I could suggest a hundred more suitable sites than on our waterfront. Now we find out that the city is again trying to circumvent the Simpson Covenent. Ridiculous and becoming absurd!
James59

Post by James59 »

Does the city not do their homework or do they just think they can ignore this covenant. Why not put the tourism office on Leon Ave I'm sure you can get cheap property and the tourist can really see a part of Kelowna
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

100% correct ^^^^^^^
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

James59 wrote:Does the city not do their homework or do they just think they can ignore this covenant. Why not put the tourism office on Leon Ave I'm sure you can get cheap property and the tourist can really see a part of Kelowna
Not sure what's vacant down there right now that's available. As far as not doing their homework - they would know about this:
"You also pointed out that your plan carefully avoids placing your retail outlet within the boundaries of the Simpson Covenant, which the building itself encroaches on. As you may be aware, the Supreme Court of B.C. ruled that there was to be no commercial or industrial activity within the boundaries of the covenant. Whether the site of your retail outlet is on ‘this’ two feet or ‘that’ two feet is irrelevant – it’s under the roof and within the building envelope that does encroach on these restricted-use lands."
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Again, Simpson to the rescue, it should not have to come to this as
any practical, thinking person knows how absurd a spot it is to put
the tourist booth at this location.

if it was just a booth slightly bigger than a portable toilet that would be all that is
needed, then they could have a dozen of them at various locations still for less money.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

I certainly do not think that this is a good site for a tourist info centre.
But this Simpson covenant crap again, no commercial components, I never heard any complaints from the Simpsons when they put the cactus club in the yacht club, a commercial business on Simpson covenant lands.
This family sold the land to the city for a fair market value at the time. It is no longer their land.

Return to “Central Okanagan”