Tourism Kelowna - Queensway

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Tourism Kelowna - Queensway

Post by Fancy »

“Certainly in the process of all the re-zoning that council was undertaking we were trying to be mindful of what the intent of the original covenant upheld. The covenant, which sets out three distinct parts: the land must never be sold, must be used for municipal purposes, and must not to be used for commercial or industrial purposes,” says Shepherd.

She says it doesn’t change the City’s intention to develop Stuart Park.

“The goal of this and previous Councils is to preserve continuous public access to Okanagan Lake from City Park to Knox Mountain Park.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/41 ... nt-remains
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Walking Wounded wrote:I certainly do not think that this is a good site for a tourist info centre.
But this Simpson covenant crap again, no commercial components, I never heard any complaints from the Simpsons when they put the cactus club in the yacht club, a commercial business on Simpson covenant lands.
This family sold the land to the city for a fair market value at the time. It is no longer their land.

Is the Yacht Club on Simpson Covenant land?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Walking Wounded wrote:I certainly do not think that this is a good site for a tourist info centre.
But this Simpson covenant crap again, no commercial components, I never heard any complaints from the Simpsons when they put the cactus club in the yacht club, a commercial business on Simpson covenant lands.
This family sold the land to the city for a fair market value at the time. It is no longer their land.

Anonymous123 wrote:Is the Yacht Club on Simpson Covenant land?

It was in there old location, not in new location:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Barney Google wrote:Being one myself I can comment on this....can you imagine some of those seniors who can barely see over the steering wheel driving those HUGE scary RVs and hauling those behemoth travel trailers trying to negotiate down town Kelowna streets and traffic? LOL

Besides Sharon S has already got her back up and is shaking her finger in warning :1422: ...lol

The new traffic loop will work well also when driving the big rig and pulling the little SUV behind.
LoWd0Wn

Post by LoWd0Wn »

Great Letter Sharon,
There have been so many letters to the Editor in all formats that spells out quite clearly that the majority of Kelowna citizens do Not want the Tourism Kelowna building put on Queensway.
I wonder when they are going to listen to the people. If they don't we have to speak up at election time.
I think as someone mentioned the ideal place to put the new Tourism Kelowna building is on Leon Ave. You know that first block off of Abbot Street.
Can you imagine.

Come on Council - get it together and start working for us.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

It appears to me that the Downtown Business Association got to pick the location for the Tourist Information Center if it is going within the dotted line.

Traffic and parking wise it make absolutely no sense what-so-ever. The left turn off of the bridge and left turn back onto Bernard going east will cause a permanent grid lock downtown which is perhaps what the DBA wants. Isn't it time to do something for the other parts of the city who also pay taxes ??
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

I bet you all the offices and board room will be facing the lake. The only view the public is going to have is looking east towards that monstrous Wescorp building. Why don't they wait a couple of years and move it into the old RCMP building downtown. The city owns the property and it's on the right side of the Simpson covenant. They can have as much commercial as they want over there.
drex1999
Board Meister

Post by drex1999 »

Put it in the McDonalds and kill two birds with one stone by renovating a boarded up piece of crap at the South entrance to the city
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

Wrong, Stanley sold the land for 55,000 which was only the cost to clean up the land, it was worth far more.
"You're not really dead until there's no one who thinks about you any more." - Bertolt Brecht ~
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Donald G wrote:It appears to me that the Downtown Business Association got to pick the location for the Tourist Information Center if it is going within the dotted line.

Traffic and parking wise it make absolutely no sense what-so-ever. The left turn off of the bridge and left turn back onto Bernard going east will cause a permanent grid lock downtown which is perhaps what the DBA wants. Isn't it time to do something for the other parts of the city who also pay taxes ??

Well it is now know as not the downtown, but a "destination" you know!
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Donald G wrote:It appears to me that the Downtown Business Association got to pick the location for the Tourist Information Center if it is going within the dotted line.

I don't believe it is going within the dotted line on that aerial photo. That dotted line is Kerry Park (Westcorp's back lawn). The Info building is going on the parking lot at the foot of Queensway, which, I believe was where the ferry dock was before the bridge was built (any old(er) timers feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, it was before my time).
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby drex1999 » Yesterday, 11:48 pm

Put it in the McDonalds and kill two birds with one stone by renovating a boarded up piece of crap at the South entrance to the city

Good suggestion. Right turn off of the bridge for motor homes and right turn back onto the highway. Also good parking; straight across the highway to downtown and right turn onto streets heading south from Hwy 97. Far better traffic flow than all of the left turns involved in the location on the map.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#164162

Not a bad idea, at least at first glance. It may be worth checking into? Not sure if the owner has any sort of "personal agenda", I don't know enough about the history behind him owning the FQ to form any sort of opinion about that. Sounds reasonable to me anyway. (Let the bashing begin?)

Letters
Fintry for Tourist Centre
Contributed - Apr 25, 2016 / 2:47 pm | Story: 164162

Photo: Contributed

To the Mayor and Council,

The recent news of Sharon Simpson evoking the Covenant for the proposed Tourist Information Centre at the foot of Queensway has perhaps provided another opportunity for the City to consider utilizing the Fintry Queen for this purpose.

An ideal location for the ship exists immediately to the south of the Queensway boat launch, where a small sandy beach exists today. This sand could be easily removed and the ship could be brought right up to the existing breakwater, directly behind the tourist boat ticket kiosk. Moored close to shore in this manner, she would not extend past the commercial boat pier, and thus not interfere with the Yacht Club or the use of the City's Septic Tank Pump-out Station. Power and sewer are available in the immediate area. The ship would be located mere feet away from the Centre's proposed location, yet outside of the Covenant Lands, unrestricted in its use for retail or other purposes.

The Fintry Queen comprises more than 9000 sq ft of useable deck space. The Main Deck is both heated and air conditioned. The Forward Lounge could be a reception area, while the Dining Room could be converted for multiple uses. The Second Deck provides both a Sun Deck and sheltered After Deck, which could be converted into office space. The Top Rear Deck could be accessed for outdoor events and receptions. In essence, the ship is a large floating platform, with three levels, which could be converted and redesigned into most any configuration, at a minimal cost compared to any new building construction.

There has been much discussion about the value of a new Tourist Information Centre in this electronic age. What there has also been, is a tremendous amount of public support for the Fintry Queen and for its place as part of Kelowna's history. An iconic ship on the waterfront, would be an attraction for tourists and a focal point for events, meetings and community gatherings. How better to recognize the past than to make it a living part of the City's future. I am convinced that utilizing the Fintry Queen in this manner would garner widespread public support.

I am eager to take City and Tourism Kelowna Staff out to the ship for a tour and further discussion.

I hope that you will give this opportunity your careful consideration.

Andy Schwab
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

^^^^^Hell of a better idea than the currant plan at the foot of Queensway.And a lot cheaper and makes good use of the Fintry.There is no need for fancy offices, placed on the waterfront in a fancy building.They can be put anywhere,even in the old tourism building.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

A lot of tour buses stop near Queensway. I could understand having a small tour/info centre handy within walking distance. The old McDonald's is not bad. Tour buses could make a pit stop then continue to downtown. Perhaps have an Ogo-smoothie joint built-in.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”