Tourism Kelowna - Queensway

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Tourism Kelowna - Queensway

Post by Fancy »

WalterWhite wrote:Raises an interesting point. Why didn't TK propose a partnership with the yacht club in the planning of the new facility to incorporate the TK space into the same building?

Seems to me something was said about that but the yacht club already had their plans to include Cactus Club and designated meeting rooms and their own dining area. No room at the inn so to speak.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Page 8 had a brief conversation regarding the Yacht Club.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
SteWe
Fledgling

Post by SteWe »

WalterWhite wrote:
Raises an interesting point. Why didn't TK propose a partnership with the yacht club in the planning of the new facility to incorporate the TK space into the same building?

And while we're at it, why didn't anyone propose that the RCMP function out of the library instead of building new. Or City Hall operate out of the Laurel Packing Houe to better utilize space. And the courts to function out of the Delta Grand....
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

For starters,none of the ones you mention, can fit into a 2-3000sq ft building.
Neither can TK apparently , but they were willing to split operations, to get a lakeside hangout..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

SteWe, can you tell us ? Do you work in a tourist oriented job, or job that benefits from Tourism ?
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 16th, 2017, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
SteWe
Fledgling

Post by SteWe »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:For starters,none of the ones you mention, can fit into a 2-3000sq ft building.
Neither can TK apparently , but they were willing to split operations, to get a lakeside hangout..

I was trying obviously to be a little tongue and cheek with those suggestions. Have you seen the new Fargo season yet? And, no I don't work for KT, but obviously any boosterism that either I, anyone else, or the city can provide - ie. this new build - is better for all of us. I want to see this city grow. I look at this accepted proposal and ask myself if it will help, and I can't see why it won't. :up:
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Actually we dont have TV per se, that is no cable. We have Netflix.
So I have not seen Fargo.
My media exposure is thru Castanet, and 4 different newspapers.

I have mixed feelings about the City growing. A big reason is the roads have not kept up to our traffic 5 months of the year for a long time.
Maybe that should be addressed before bringing more folks in to add to the congestion
And TK is not part of the solution to that problem
If TK closed their doors in January, there would still be Plenty of Tourists coming the following summer. It would be a long time of no promotion before tourism ever faces a drought.
So not sure how far you travel to get to work or in your daily activity. But try this and report back ..go from north End Kelowna..say Railway Pub to Costco or4 corners Rutland, or McCurdy, then back to North End..between noon and 4:30 pm, time yourself... Then get back on here and tell us what you think of our roads ability to move people.
I love this city too, been here over half a century, grew up just inside the City Limits..when our neighbors still had horses in the backyard... This being 20blickssouth of 97 at Burtch. There has been many changes, not all for the good..
SteWe
Fledgling

Post by SteWe »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Actually we dont have TV per se, that is no cable. We have Netflix.
So I have not seen Fargo.
My media exposure is thru Castanet, and 4 different newspapers.

I have mixed feelings about the City growing. A big reason is the roads have not kept up to our traffic 5 months of the year for a long time.
Maybe that should be addressed before bringing more folks in to add to the congestion
And TK is not part of the solution to that problem
If TK closed their doors in January, there would still be Plenty of Tourists coming the following summer. It would be a long time of no promotion before tourism ever faces a drought.
So not sure how far you travel to get to work or in your daily activity. But try this and report back ..go from north End Kelowna..say Railway Pub to Costco or4 corners Rutland, or McCurdy, then back to North End..between noon and 4:30 pm, time yourself... Then get back on here and tell us what you think of our roads ability to move people.
I love this city too, been here over half a century, grew up just inside the City Limits..when our neighbors still had horses in the backyard... This being 20blickssouth of 97 at Burtch. There has been many changes, not all for the good..

I understand the situation with the roads but thankfully I try and refrain from being a contributor. Bike and walk most of the time. I live downtown, and will walk as far as Mission Creek past the Mission Creek Pub and back if I need to go out there - there's a good butcher that way (if I pick up meat, I'll bus it back). I'll walk/bike up to Orchard Plaza - Nature's Fare! Bike paths are great here. Glenmore plaza or whatever it's called has some decent stuff in it too. There's are a lot, I mean a lot of sole drivers in cars in the city. That needs to be figured out. Education, car sharing, increase in city transportation will help, and I think it'll get there eventually.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

SteWe wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:
Raises an interesting point. Why didn't TK propose a partnership with the yacht club in the planning of the new facility to incorporate the TK space into the same building?

And while we're at it, why didn't anyone propose that the RCMP function out of the library instead of building new. Or City Hall operate out of the Laurel Packing Houe to better utilize space. And the courts to function out of the Delta Grand....

Let's try this again - my comment is a legitimate question - your suggestions are anything but.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Sure was entertaining to see the present TK location bunged up with a few RV's with tow behinds.
Truck/camper with the jet ski's , and the other assorted road travelers backing up the HOV lane.
All jambed and crammed in the lot, some out of their vehicles attempting to help others navigate
and figure a feasible way to get the heck back out without too much damage.

I was entertained at their expense.

Can't wait for the fiasco on Queensway to satisfy this dark form of humour I have.

And, why are there no docks surrounding this project so that boats can tie up
to go get their brochures and use the fancy gender neutral biffy?
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

This project speaks to the out of control insanity/vanity mentality that holds Kelowna in its thrall.

An absolute obsession with tourism and dollars instead of prioritizing residents, taxpayers, infrastructure, and long term sustainable economic development.

It's a truly appalling piece of business. Anyone with any business acumen will be shaking their head at how the apparatchiks at City Hall manage OUR financial affairs.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
John Crawford
Fledgling

Post by John Crawford »

Just travelled from Kelowna to Inuvik, and return, nearly all of the TO's were in a transportation corridor, where people with RV's could park outside the TO, also remember, many RV's are also towing a car, the Mayor and council are way off base on this one, furthermore no one has asked the people who are contributing to this fiasco, (except those in with in crowd) we are having to charge vacationers 3% on every room we sell, (on top of the 8% PST and 5% GST) to help pay for this garbage, which does not help us at all as all our bookings come in via the internet, in the 10 years we have been in business, we have not received one booking from the TO. but we can all moan and stamp our feet, however, the mayor and council will do as they always do, and do what they want, and ignore the tax payers of the community.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Exactly John Crawford. It's a sad say when William's Lake is going to have a superior TO than Kelowna.

No this TO on the lake is geared to an ego problem and not tourists needs.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

John Crawford wrote:Just travelled from Kelowna to Inuvik, and return, nearly all of the TO's were in a transportation corridor, where people with RV's could park outside the TO, also remember, many RV's are also towing a car, the Mayor and council are way off base on this one, furthermore no one has asked the people who are contributing to this fiasco, (except those in with in crowd) we are having to charge vacationers 3% on every room we sell, (on top of the 8% PST and 5% GST) to help pay for this garbage, which does not help us at all as all our bookings come in via the internet, in the 10 years we have been in business, we have not received one booking from the TO. but we can all moan and stamp our feet, however, the mayor and council will do as they always do, and do what they want, and ignore the tax payers of the community.

I just returned from a trip by motorcycle from Kelowna to Southern California and back up through numerous states. I had occasion to stop at a few information centres and they were all on a main drag with ample on-site parking - I would not have stopped otherwise.

You are absolutely right about about moaning and stamping our feet as they will do whatever they want for their own special interest (read $$$) groups. If we take it to the courts they just use our own taxpayer money to fight it. The only current council member that is coming back will be Charlie Hodge.

Return to “Central Okanagan”