Tourism Kelowna - Queensway

damama55
Übergod

Re: Tourism Kelowna - Queensway

Post by damama55 »

Sooooooo, they put a sign up, somewhere along the highway, "Tourist Center Downtown, NO RV's, No Trucks Hauling Fifth Wheels, No Complaints Allowed. We want your tax dollars, but don't want you to find it easy to access info about our area."
Whenever I go downtown, in the Summer, there is always lots of info about things to do around Kelowna, Vernon, and other areas. Usually the info is by the Bus Stop at Queensway, or a little kiosk by the lake parks.
Don't get me wrong, I love Kelowna, Lake Country and surrounding areas. Just wonder what Mayors and Councillors are thinking. I can see a LOT of complaints flowing into City Hall, and, I can see folks telling others, beware of Kelowna--it isn't very tourist friendly, if you are driving anything other than a car, hauling nothing.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

As pointed out before, the old location wasn't getting much traffic on it was right on the highway. The target has changed.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Fancy wrote:As pointed out before, the old location wasn't getting much traffic on it was right on the highway. The target has changed.

Tourism Kelowna has a host of options where they may locate. The issue is that a great many Citizens object to the location on public lakefront property at less than market rates requiring significant taxpayer financial funding for site development, utility servicing and landscaping.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

I forgot to mention Tim Horton's, too, for info about what to do around the area. Anytime I have gone into Tim's here in Lake Country, there are booklets there with things to do in the Valley.
Tourists, I don't think, are going to be too impressed that the TC is going to be on the waterfront, either. We, the people that live in and around the area, want our waterfronts preserved for future generations to relax and enjoy, NOT to be used for Tourist Centers, or businesses that will utilize them for their own benefits. Enough of our natural beauties are being cut down, or plowed under, or blocked by whatever. We need to preserve what we have left, or, one day, wish we had. Out here in Lake Country, we have lovely lakes, but, quite a few people have bought right on the lakefronts, and we, as Joe or Joan Public, have no right to access the lake from any of the properties, as they are private properties. Is this eventually going to happen in Kelowna? Look at all the high-rise condos there. Yes, money does buy a lot, but, it can't buy the natural beauty that we are slowly losing.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

damama55 wrote: We need to preserve what we have left, or, one day, wish we had.

I'm not arguing that point but where were the citizens when the place became a parking lot? I'm just grateful there will be some greenery there now.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Fancy wrote:I'm not arguing that point but where were the citizens when the place became a parking lot? I'm just grateful there will be some greenery there now.

It was a parking lot since it was granted to the City in April 2003.

You do realize of course that the property does not need a building situated on it in order to make it added parkland and green space. It would be a pretty quick fix to remove the pavement, add topsoil, irrigation and sod or seed to make it green. As it is with the proposed building, there will need be new marine retaining walls constructed, soil densification, deep pilings and the like to construct this building. Furthermore, you are not going to see much green at all in any event. Hard surfaces are required for pedestrian travel, handicapped parking / access, loading zones etc. The reality of this is it would not be 'green' space at all......unless they use green concrete!
Last edited by fz6adventure on Mar 11th, 2017, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

fz6adventure wrote: The reality of this is it is not going to be 'green' space at all.

So you are saying the plans aren't getting it right?
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Fancy wrote:
So you are saying the plans aren't getting it right?

Correct ..... none of the plans show the required loading zone, service access or handicapped access parking spaces. You will see quite a difference when it goes to development approval with the form and character plans.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Fancy wrote:I'm not arguing that point but where were the citizens when the place became a parking lot? I'm just grateful there will be some greenery there now.

When the parking lot was created it was just a paved area left over from being the staging area of the old ferrydocks at that location and owned by the province not the COK. It was part of the provincial government parking lot for the provincial government building once located where Stuart Park is now located. The COK managed to negotiate a transfer of ownership for the parking lot with the province in the 90's based on the COK making the property part of Kerry Park, thus linking City Park with Stuart Park, and that the COK agreed to a covenant which forbid construction of any building on the property. Because of this the parking lot was planned by the COK parks dept. to become totally greenspace once Mill Street is closed and Queensway is terminated at the new hotel. This was all designed, approved, budgeted for and scheduled to commence two years ago to coincide with the construction of the new hotel. It is only because the new hotel hasn't started that the parking lot isn't already a beautiful greenspace.
Through one of it's usual backroom negotiations, as always very hidden from the public view, this time with the province, that the COK so how managed to convince the province to release the property from the "no build" covenant that would have assured it become a greenspace under the both the City's original plans and province's intent for the property.
TK has cost the people a greenspace not providing one.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I may be sitting on the sidelines but doesn't mean I'm not interested in the final outcome. I'm sure I've said this before but I really hope the City of Kelowna does it right here.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Fancy wrote:I may be sitting on the sidelines but doesn't mean I'm not interested in the final outcome. I'm sure I've said this before but I really hope the City of Kelowna does it right here.

I can give you 99 to 1 odds they will get it right .... with a little guidance from the Supreme Court of British Columbia! TK should start their "Plan B".
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Originally it was a least 3 traffic lanes, leading to the ferry. This was before the bridge was built. Sometime after the bridge being built in 1957 , it ceased to used....and may have changed to parking, not long after that ..but I do not know when it happened. I can remember a large public dock and portions of the old ferry wharf still being there in the mid 60,s
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Post by Straight Shooter »

Well, all I can say is if this proposal goes as planned by the CoK and TK, I'm hoping that every homeless person that will arrive here for summer and anyone one else who used to use City Park for their illegal activities please bring your back packs and shopping carts and whatever else you may have in you prosession and gather around this gem of a place and enjoy yourselves and the fantastic view too. That is unless your not welcome there and security will whip you away quicker than you can say, "can you spare some change sir." Nay, just kidding, it'll all be fine.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Straight Shooter wrote:Well, all I can say is if this proposal goes as planned by the CoK and TK, I'm hoping that every homeless person that will arrive here for summer and anyone one else who used to use City Park for their illegal activities please bring your back packs and shopping carts and whatever else you may have in you prosession and gather around this gem of a place and enjoy yourselves and the fantastic view too. That is unless your not welcome there and security will whip you away quicker than you can say, "can you spare some change sir." Nay, just kidding, it'll all be fine.

I think it will be a tremendous homeless camping area. The Charter supports the activity from 7PM to 9 AM. I might even set up the security camera .... to keep a watchful eye on the bylaw enforcement staff!

Abbotsford (City) v. Shantz, 2015 BCSC 1909
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I was there when MR Bibby said the building would be there for the benefit of the people. That includes the homeless folks..
and the public washroom access will be handy and should be non discrimatory .
It could be a great place to hang out, with the shade the building provides. Of course with some legal representation, they would not be harrassed, or their right trampled upon.. and it would bring media attention to their plight and the this whole Queensway Jetty land use process..
It may just be the JUST DESSERT for the way TK has been going about this land approval process..

It may be a cheap solution. it might be a bumpy road for TK going ahead with this...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Central Okanagan”