Tourism Kelowna - Queensway

Re: Tourism Kelowna - Queensway

Postby fz6adventure » Jun 19th, 2017, 9:28 pm

John Crawford wrote:Just travelled from Kelowna to Inuvik, and return, nearly all of the TO's were in a transportation corridor, where people with RV's could park outside the TO, also remember, many RV's are also towing a car, the Mayor and council are way off base on this one, furthermore no one has asked the people who are contributing to this fiasco, (except those in with in crowd) we are having to charge vacationers 3% on every room we sell, (on top of the 8% PST and 5% GST) to help pay for this garbage, which does not help us at all as all our bookings come in via the internet, in the 10 years we have been in business, we have not received one booking from the TO. but we can all moan and stamp our feet, however, the mayor and council will do as they always do, and do what they want, and ignore the tax payers of the community.

I just returned from a trip by motorcycle from Kelowna to Southern California and back up through numerous states. I had occasion to stop at a few information centres and they were all on a main drag with ample on-site parking - I would not have stopped otherwise.

You are absolutely right about about moaning and stamping our feet as they will do whatever they want for their own special interest (read $$$) groups. If we take it to the courts they just use our own taxpayer money to fight it. The only current council member that is coming back will be Charlie Hodge.

5 people like this post.
fz6adventure
Fledgling

Liked in: 231 posts

Postby WalterWhite » Jun 20th, 2017, 6:44 am

I haven't spent time looking yet, but can anyone confirm this concept design for Milroy's development was created more than 3 years ago? If so, I'm curious why it contains the yet to be created build-out into the water at the bottom of Queensway - conveniently right where the now just approved TK center is to be constructed. Not to sound like this belongs in the conspiracy threads, but if in fact true does this not further confirm the intended plan for this goes back much further than originally disclosed?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/1 ... s-redesign

hotel_p3228725.jpg

2 people like this post.
WalterWhite
Übergod

Liked in: 1247 posts

Postby fz6adventure » Jun 20th, 2017, 6:56 am

WalterWhite wrote:I haven't spent time looking yet, but can anyone confirm this concept design for Milroy's development was created more than 3 years ago? If so, I'm curious why it contains the yet to be created build-out into the water at the bottom of Queensway - conveniently right where the now just approved TK center is to be constructed. Not to sound like this belongs in the conspiracy threads, but if in fact true does this not further confirm the intended plan for this goes back much further than originally disclosed?

No doubt! Copious important information has been withheld from the public for years in order for the current council to attempt to gain plausibility for approval of the TK plan.

4 people like this post.
fz6adventure
Fledgling

Liked in: 231 posts

Postby Anonymous123 » Jun 20th, 2017, 1:53 pm

This just in:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/199954/New-visitor-centre-proposed

and a quote out of the article:

“The location we are in, in respect to visibility, is very good,” Travel Penticton Executive Director, Thom Tischuk told council. “Visitor centres tucked into downtown locations quite often don't do well.
We See
We Judge

2 people like this post.
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 917 posts

Postby lightspeed » Jun 20th, 2017, 2:07 pm

Anonymous123 wrote:This just in:

“The location we are in, in respect to visibility, is very good,” Travel Penticton Executive Director, Thom Tischuk told council. “Visitor centres tucked into downtown locations quite often don't do well.

Oops.

But surely you'd have to be a 30 year veteran of the tourism industry to have so much insight?

Or just an average Joe with some common sense.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

3 people like this post.
lightspeed
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1645 posts

Postby monroe » Jun 21st, 2017, 10:29 am

WalterWhite wrote:I haven't spent time looking yet, but can anyone confirm this concept design for Milroy's development was created more than 3 years ago? If so, I'm curious why it contains the yet to be created build-out into the water at the bottom of Queensway - conveniently right where the now just approved TK center is to be constructed. Not to sound like this belongs in the conspiracy threads, but if in fact true does this not further confirm the intended plan for this goes back much further than originally disclosed?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/1 ... s-redesign

hotel_p3228725.jpg

Funny, you often have to be somewhat paranoid in order to see a conspiracy theory.

I had a friend tell me years ago that paranoia could be defined as "total awareness".

I saw these pics/or similar a few years back when that group originally came forward with their ideas. I think this was the same group that was tied into and financed the new docks down there.
I do absolutely believe the initial plan and site selection for the new TK center has everyhting to do with the development above or similar.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM

4 people like this post.
monroe
Übergod

Liked in: 1098 posts

Postby AtticSalt » Jun 22nd, 2017, 8:14 pm

Bah ha ha. .so their boss quit..shameful.. hopefully some so called elected city officials will do the same..? :130:

2 people like this post.
AtticSalt

Liked in: 66 posts

Postby WalterWhite » Jun 22nd, 2017, 9:22 pm

AtticSalt wrote:Bah ha ha. .so their boss quit..shameful.. hopefully some so called elected city officials will do the same..? :130:

Hmmm - interesting? Coincidence? Reading too much into it? All of the above?
WalterWhite
Übergod

Liked in: 1247 posts

Postby Queen K » Jun 23rd, 2017, 2:24 am

Anonymous123 wrote:This just in:

It could be that "they" don't want it necessarily to do well.
Some day Milroy could be scooping up an expensive lakeshore property paid for with tax dollars but failed as a tourism center. And "oh look, it's right across the street from his expensive hotel."

Bet there's a plan in place.

It's embarrassing that downtown Kelowna has empty lots right on the highway, full of weeds, and the tourism center looks like it was built in the early 1970s - in 2017.

And yet the debacle that is pushed through is doomed to fail, anyone taking a civics class in grade 12 can see that. So to my mind there is another purpose to this building.
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.

5 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 9555 posts

Postby lightspeed » Jun 23rd, 2017, 4:07 am

AtticSalt wrote:Bah ha ha. .so their boss quit..shameful.. hopefully some so called elected city officials will do the same..? :130:

It's fairly typical that someone like that does such a thing.

Craps all over the residents of this town then sneaks off to get a better or more well paid job elsewhere. Their legacy? A useless or irrelevant eyesore. Fleeces the taxpayers and cons a city council. Then they put on their resume what a wonderful achievement it was.

Shameful.
Last edited by lightspeed on Jun 23rd, 2017, 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

4 people like this post.
lightspeed
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1645 posts

Postby monroe » Jun 23rd, 2017, 6:33 am

Im thinking it would explain alot if we perhaps came across the aftermath of a "Reservoir Dogs" style standoff between phil milroy and some of his executive team, Nancy Cameron, the Mayor, Sharon Simpson and Ron Mattiussi.

In my mind, this fantasy takes place in the tunnel under the bridge.

ETA: in this scenario, Sharon Simpson makes it out bloodied but alive :biggrin:

Queen K likes this post.
monroe
Übergod

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Jun 23rd, 2017, 9:15 am

Cameron and Bibby, who spoke so enthusiastically for the Tourist Centre, will now both be gone. Bibby already was working down South.. They cram it down our throats and leave...nice..NOT..
Anyone else feel like we been had ?

The good news, the Milroy finger building flipping off Kelowna, has not yet been started.. Thanks for that.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

3 people like this post.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1477 posts

Postby Queen K » Jun 23rd, 2017, 9:25 am

monroe wrote:Im thinking it would explain alot if we perhaps came across the aftermath of a "Reservoir Dogs" style standoff between phil milroy and some of his executive team, Nancy Cameron, the Mayor, Sharon Simpson and Ron Mattiussi.

And then, in the finale, Milroy and his executive team get exiled to Saskatoon.
Forevah!
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.

lightspeed likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 9555 posts

Postby dudemeiser » Jun 23rd, 2017, 2:43 pm

Convention traffic is a big part of what Tourism Kelowna tries to bring. There is a common concern that there is no real "convention centre" available.

Convenient that this property is located directly across the street from a soon to be built hotel, no? And who will profit from the private rentals of this "Tourist Centre"?

lightspeed likes this post.
dudemeiser

Liked in: 1 post

Postby monroe » Jun 23rd, 2017, 3:07 pm

Queen K wrote:
monroe wrote:Im thinking it would explain alot if we perhaps came across the aftermath of a "Reservoir Dogs" style standoff between phil milroy and some of his executive team, Nancy Cameron, the Mayor, Sharon Simpson and Ron Mattiussi.

And then, in the finale, Milroy and his executive team get exiled to Saskatoon.
Forevah!

<insert slow clap> ... ooh kay, YOU are SO close to being sent to the corner!
monroe
Übergod

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan