Tourism Kelowna - Queensway

Re: Tourism Kelowna - Queensway

Postby fz6adventure » Oct 28th, 2017, 9:15 am

just popping in wrote:Dianne Varga, even though a Penticton resident now, is very persistent / passionate about this.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#210073

She is right!

4 people like this post.
fz6adventure
Fledgling

Liked in: 231 posts

Postby lightspeed » Oct 28th, 2017, 9:22 am

Kelowna needs a Mayor and Council that will work for residents and taxpayers. Not tourists, special interests, developers, and cronies.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

3 people like this post.
lightspeed
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1647 posts

Postby just popping in » Oct 28th, 2017, 2:08 pm

The early morning article was much more interesting to read about Ms. Varga's efforts to date, rather than regurgitating the updated version of what we all know.

lightspeed likes this post.
just popping in
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 306 posts

Postby damama55 » Oct 31st, 2017, 6:48 am

This seems to be such a waste of money--

Popular BC highway tourism centre slated for closure in January, 2018
CBC.ca
The mayor of Merritt, B.C., is pleading for the province to reconsider its decision to close a popular highway tourist stop in early 2018 that sits at the ..
"The new modern rest stop at the Loon Lake interchange, between Merritt and Kelowna, falls under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure and is expected to open before the end of the year.

"That factored into the decision in a big way," said Harvey.

The new rest area will have washrooms and picnic tables but will not include tourism information.

She said more people are planning their travel online, and individual communities have greater flexibility to reach tourists through social media, roaming ambassadors and pop-up tents."

The last day of operations will be January 12, 2018.

Whenever we travel to Vancouver, we always stop at the center. Now they are planning on closing it and building another one up the highway, from what I can gather, with NO tourist information. They say folks are making all of their info searches and plans via the internet and the tourist center is NOT needed anymore. VERY, VERY interesting, and yet Kelowna is planning on building a huge tourist center, downtown, next to the lake. Hmmmmm! Very, VERY interesting.
Heartfelt sympathies to all affected by the tragedy in Las Vegas, Texas and to the families and friends. And to the officer who lost his life in Abbotsford, you were a true hero, too.

fz6adventure likes this post.
damama55
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 582 posts

Postby Queen K » Oct 31st, 2017, 6:59 am

I too am disturbed by that loss to the Merrit Tourist Center. It was usually packed every time we stopped in. Could hardly get a parking stall.

As for the downtown Kelowna debacle, it's not being built to be used as a tourist center forever, in my opinion only, it is planned to fail and an expensive tax payer built building will be available soon for pennies on the dollar to WestCorp.

But that's libelous slander to suggest such a thing, right?
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.

3 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 9585 posts

Postby spooker » Oct 31st, 2017, 8:16 am

Queen K wrote:I too am disturbed by that loss to the Merrit Tourist Center. It was usually packed every time we stopped in. Could hardly get a parking stall.

Though rarely did I see people inside the building buying more than coffee ... a rest stop would be as popular ... and it would be nice to have washrooms available 24/7 instead of only when the info centre is open ...

Queen K wrote:As for the downtown Kelowna debacle, it's not being built to be used as a tourist center forever, in my opinion only, it is planned to fail and an expensive tax payer built building will be available soon for pennies on the dollar to WestCorp.

As far as I know the actual building will be paid for by Tourism Kelowna ... indirectly by the tourists who pay the 1-2% hotel tax and other funding sources ... yes, you could still say that counts as "tax payer" but I think your context meant the city residents ... it's just the land and utility upgrades that the residents will foot the bill for ...

I am with Diane in thinking this is a big "screw you" from TK and other parties just because they can ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato

WalterWhite likes this post.
spooker
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 473 posts

Postby fz6adventure » Oct 31st, 2017, 3:04 pm

spooker wrote:As far as I know the actual building will be paid for by Tourism Kelowna ... indirectly by the tourists who pay the 1-2% hotel tax and other funding sources ... yes, you could still say that counts as "tax payer" but I think your context meant the city residents ... it's just the land and utility upgrades that the residents will foot the bill for ...

I am with Diane in thinking this is a big "screw you" from TK and other parties just because they can ...

The taxpayer is giving away prime land assessed at north of $7 million to a business interests in it for no reason other than profit for the annual rental sum of $1 per year.

2 people like this post.
fz6adventure
Fledgling

Postby fz6adventure » Nov 8th, 2017, 7:21 am

Building Permit issued for a value of $1.8 million. I guess the cost is only half of what they promised. I wonder what other revelations are to come?????

https://www.kelowna.ca/homes-building/b ... mits/56397
fz6adventure
Fledgling

Previous

Return to Central Okanagan