Tourism Kelowna - Queensway

Re: Tourism Kelowna - Queensway

Postby TMBOkanagan » Dec 16th, 2017, 11:50 am

fz6adventure wrote:
TMBOkanagan wrote:
Here is a link to the Local Government Act that regulates the procedures. http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/ ... /r15001_00
Part

The point being?

If you want to make educated comments about correct legal and illegal processes you can read the LGA.
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Liked in: 65 posts

Postby fz6adventure » Dec 16th, 2017, 12:25 pm

TMBOkanagan wrote:If you want to make educated comments about correct legal and illegal processes you can read the LGA.

Thanks for the link but I'll differ to the expert legal person who's is hot on the case.
fz6adventure
Fledgling

Liked in: 261 posts

Postby TMBOkanagan » Dec 16th, 2017, 1:19 pm

fz6adventure wrote:
TMBOkanagan wrote:If you want to make educated comments about correct legal and illegal processes you can read the LGA.

Thanks for the link but I'll differ to the expert legal person who's is hot on the case.

Then maybe you should stop commenting with inaccurate information and let the experts talk.
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Liked in: 65 posts

Postby fz6adventure » Dec 16th, 2017, 1:26 pm

TMBOkanagan wrote:Then maybe you should stop commenting with inaccurate information and let the experts talk.

I appreciate the guidance, but I did not provide any inaccurate information.
fz6adventure
Fledgling

Postby fz6adventure » Dec 16th, 2017, 1:30 pm

A recent letter to mayor and council.

I write to you with concerns on the Tourism Kelowna Visitor Centre currently under construction.

Firstly, I note that the building permit that was issued for the project, listed the value of construction at $1.8 million in comparison to the $2.8 million dollar value that every piece of information released by the City said the construction value would be. This gross differential in construction value is during a period when other information coming out of the City tells us that tenders are typically being received that exceed budgets due to the relative robust construction activity currently being experienced in the city. As you know, this structure will become civic property on conclusion of the lease. Why is the city allowing this project to move forward at a value that is approximately 36% less in value than committed to the Citizens of Kelowna?

Secondly, and perhaps a function of the reduced construction cost, I note that the Golder Associates geotechnical report advises that should construction of the project proceed without ground improvement, there is a poor chance of recovering the building to a condition suitable for occupancy in the event of a design earthquake event. Indeed, the geotechnical report provides that in event of a 2012 BCBC design earthquake event, liquifaction of the underlying soils is estimated to cause settlement in the order of 1.0 meters and lateral ground movements are estimated to be in the range of 5.0 to 10.0 meters. From my observation of the construction activities to date on the project site, it does not appear that any ground improvement has been performed on the soils between approximately 1.8 meters to 24.4 meters of depth underlying the structure. Why is the city allowing this project to proceed without ground improvement when the structure will ultimately become civic property?

I look forward to your responses at your earliest opportunity. As the foundations have yet to be constructed, there is still opportunity to execute ground treatment to offset the liquifaction potential. After all, there appears to be a further $1 million available in the Tourism Kelowna construction budget!
fz6adventure
Fledgling

Postby WalterWhite » Dec 16th, 2017, 2:21 pm

fz6adventure wrote:

TMBOkanagan wrote:Then maybe you should stop commenting with inaccurate information and let the experts talk.

Hmmm - last time I looked, this was a discussion forum for anyone that chooses to abide by the rules set out to partake in discussions herein - not just for supposed experts (thank goodness).

2 people like this post.
WalterWhite
Übergod

Liked in: 1341 posts

Postby just popping in » Jan 1st, 2018, 5:39 pm

Thank you, Stan Macruger, got a good laugh on your letter to Editor.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#215023

Tourist information center
Contributed - Jan 1, 2018 / 4:00 pm | Story: 215023
Apparently, the ever important information center that is so critically necessary for attracting visitors, doesn't need to be open at all over the holidays.
I guess we don't get many tourists at Christmas or any other holidays here in Kelowna or Big White?
They will be open again on Jan 2 when it gets busy again! Good thing!
Stan Macruger

Edit to add: I sincerely hope you were not a tourist looking for information but if so you were able to enjoy your visit to our City, which apparently isn't open on holidays, we are only open for business Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.

3 people like this post.
just popping in
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 360 posts

Previous

Return to Central Okanagan