Paramount Theatre Closing

Snarf
Übergod

Re: Paramount Theatre Closing

Post by Snarf »

I haven't been to a movie theater in over a decade. I clearly remember why.

No bathroom breaks or snack breaks unless you want to miss the movie, people talk and whisper, people munch popcorn, people check their phones which blasts an LCD light in my face.

But it will be sad to see this landmark being turned into yet another restaurant (unless it will be a really, really good one!)
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

You couldn't pay me enough to sit in a theater.
I'm terrified of flu and bedbugs.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Kelownabusinessman
Fledgling

Post by Kelownabusinessman »

A lot of people are saddened by the loss of this theatre, but a high percentage of those people have not stepped foot in there in many years.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

I only do the VIP in Edmonton (once a year maybe), those old houses are tired and just not worth the cash.
Sure do love Rutland!!
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Post by Straight Shooter »

Sad day for sure, fond memories dating back to over 50 years ago. Too bad it couldn't remain as a heritage site for the residence of the downtown area who can walk down to Bernard Ave. instead of jumping in their vehicles to go to the other theatres down the road. Purely economics reasons I guess.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Snarf wrote:I haven't been to a movie theater in over a decade. I clearly remember why.

No bathroom breaks or snack breaks unless you want to miss the movie, people talk and whisper, people munch popcorn, people check their phones which blasts an LCD light in my face.

But it will be sad to see this landmark being turned into yet another restaurant (unless it will be a really, really good one!)

I go to one or two a year and am reminded why I only go once or twice a year. For all the reasons you've laid out.
Oh, and crackling candy wrappers. You know, the plastics which are so brittle that people open them slowly to drag out the crackling as long as possible.

I had the LCD light in my face during the Force Awakens. It awakened my reasons for not attending movies anymore.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Having said that ^^

I remember the Paramount as being the place where mom dropped us kids off for Bambi and movies like that. We were given money for popcorn, but I can't recall spending it. No parents, at that time in Kelowna, parents could drop their kids off and take off.

No helicopter parenting back in the day.

We were picked up two hours later. I think my parents probably had the best two hours ever.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
TedD
Board Meister

Post by TedD »

Sad to see it go. Heck with another restaurant. Would do very well as an art house theater, playing foreign movies, cult favorites and older movies or movie franchise marathons.

C'mon Kelowna. Don't put in another restaurant that will most likely be closed fairly quick due to the high eatery turnover rate in the city.
Otter
Board Meister

Post by Otter »

Yet another little piece of our collective history gone. So sad. I remember taking my little brother to the movies there. It was within walking distance of our home -- we'd go to the Saturday matinees and fill up on popcorn, smarties, and pop. Afterwards we'd walk back home, maybe stopping at a store or two or picking up a few groceries for Mom.

Of course, that was back a few decades (God, when did I get so old!) and the streets were a lot safer back then.

I miss those days. <sigh>

Night all.
Pacific
Fledgling

Post by Pacific »

That's a big loss... And really runs against the city's plans to make downtown an entertainment hub. We go there all the time. The nice thing is how you can get dinner, have a couple drinks and walk over. I'm sure downtown restaurants are going to take at least a slight hit from this as it's one less reason to choose one of those places.

It does seem pretty quiet a lot though.

Kelowna seems more and more about bland big box outlet businesses with massive parking lots and no character.
Kalvin K
Fledgling

Post by Kalvin K »

Very 1st movie I saw in a theater was in that theater. Around 35 years ago.

That makes me sad. But to be honest - I haven't been there in years. Like others, I prefer to avoid downtown, and we just don't go to the movies much anymore with technology changes and the cost. I'm nearing $100 to take my family of 4 to a movie and get them some snacks. Could do the same at home for $5 if you're willing to wait.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

Probably dating myself here but does anyone remember theaters with a balcony ? Theater in Prince George had one as well as Cranbrook. Years ago when we lived in Cloverdale the old Clova theater had $2.00 movie nights bring your own bowl for popcorn and they had a few double seats so you could snuggle yer honey and no fighting over armrest.!! I also remember 25 plus years ago there was a theater in Calgary which allowed smoking on the side sections. That was also back in the day when you could smoke on planes. If you ever get down to Oliver they have a cool old theater right on the main drag. Velvet curtains and all the cool old stuff.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

This is unfortunate news........but you could see it coming. The Paramount showed some of the lesser known, small budget movies and that's what made it unique. Will these other mainstream multiplex cinemas take over with these movies..........NEVER. Kelowna needs 4 theatres for a so called "block buster" to run for two months. For the first couple of weeks sure.......after that lets tone it down and bring in some other movies. If you are a true cinema fan you will know that over the years a TON of great movies have not played in Kelowna. To the people that run the Kelowna Cineplex's.........it appears all of your taste is in your mouth.......how about opening your eyes and minds to accommodate some of these movies. No, you will probably not make the money you want but the same can be said for some of the movies that you have had playing for 3 months......beating a dead horse.
Hombre
Fledgling

Post by Hombre »

terb

Post by terb »

http://craftbeermarket.ca/vancouver

Guessing this might be whats coming.... no guarantees, just an educated guess from previous link above.

Return to “Central Okanagan”