Kelowna Mountain Suspension Bridge

monroe
Übergod

Re: Kelowna Mountain Suspension Bridge

Post by monroe »

Agreed. It is staggering the amount money involved and to see what it was used for, then nothing.

I guess its not like this doesnt happen in other cases but to let this get that far without someone stepping in earlier and trying to validate what was going on is nuts. Family, investors, associates ... anyone.

Opinions on any of this aside, even developments this far along that follow the straight & narrow go bust and are most of the time picked up by somone who continues on to some degree, but to have this go on so long as twisted as many believe it was, i just dont understand it.

...just my personal thoughts, not trying to beat a dead horse here.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Mother nature is reclaiming this one. The weeds, alder erasing the pavement. Wood rotting away. Unsafe junk shoddy construction. Trespassers will be automatically prosecuted by karma. It's like there was a fire that interrupted the terrain. There was a temporary, futile, stain added afterwards. In the end, won't matter. Alders, weeds, and pines reclaim
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

monroe wrote:Agreed. It is staggering the amount money involved and to see what it was used for, then nothing.

I guess its not like this doesnt happen in other cases but to let this get that far without someone stepping in earlier and trying to validate what was going on is nuts. Family, investors, associates ... anyone.

Opinions on any of this aside, even developments this far along that follow the straight & narrow go bust and are most of the time picked up by somone who continues on to some degree, but to have this go on so long as twisted as many believe it was, i just dont understand it.

...just my personal thoughts, not trying to beat a dead horse here.

Indeed it is staggering, and baffling.

I think there are several factors that played into this whole thing....the first being, Consiglio is very good at what he does - selling himself and his ideas. He's a showman.
The second is that many of the major investors are/were international - perfect targets for a project like this, because they could only see what was presented to them.
What was initially presented seemed like it could have been a perfectly viable development - a world class golf course, a five star hotel, an upscale residential neighborhood, a snowboard park, hiking trails, etc, etc.
So, not knowing that there were no permits, that the land could not be used for any of those ventures due to zoning, water shed issues, infrastructure, sewer, etc....people bought what he was selling.

For the 'Grand Opening' evening, which was meant to impress and woo investors....the ultimate in smoke and mirrors was put in to play. The hastily built welcome centre was constructed as a grand entrance to showcase the architecture to come.
The patio was filled with expensive seating and furnishings, landscaping was rushed into the ground, sod layed, a grandstand erected and a symphony orchestra hired. Add a ridiculously expensive gourmet dinner, mood lighting and the amazing views of the city at night....when it's dark and the cracks, scars and defects don't show up....and it was effective.
It looked impressive.

But....not a thing was maintained after that night. The buildings started cracking, plants died, the sod all dried up, the board on the bridges and boardwalk started to fall apart, the stones in the grand staircase started to come loose...and it's been going downhill ever since.
ZERO maintenance.

It was all just a façade.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

If you want to see another ghost park, might be a few things left on Rattlesnake Island...
There are lots of dreams that died in BC.....
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
TedD
Board Meister

Post by TedD »

shy·ster
/ˈSHīstər/

noun
informal

noun: shyster; plural noun: shysters

a person, especially a lawyer, who uses unscrupulous, fraudulent, or deceptive methods in business.

:1422:
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

it looks like this death trap is coming back again
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

voice of reason wrote:it looks like this death trap is coming back again

I have to ask, why is it a death trap? I walked it and I had no problem. The walk bridge on Harvey, death trap?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Try finding the 'engineer of record' for all those suspension bridges. I hope someone finally assessed/inspected and signed-off on them. I haven't checked yet whether he has a water licence for the water he's holding back in that pond and its corresponding dams, the permits and licencing weren't in place the last time I looked.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:If you want to see another ghost park, might be a few things left on Rattlesnake Island...
There are lots of dreams that died in BC.....

Just dug this up.
Attachments
SAM_0293 (450x338).jpg
SAM_0286 (450x338).jpg
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Nice feetfeet, featfan
WW
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

I'm confused.
Last fall, after the mountain closed, Castanet reported that the bridge and parts of the buildings, etc had been vandalized.
Consiglio's wife then went onto social network and vehemently denied that anything had been vandalized...that things, including the bridge, had been damaged during a wind storm.

Now it is vandalism??

Funny that now suddenly they are building fences and putting signs up every 100 feet...which, as several of us pointed out last fall - is the law.

And now...he is looking for 5 or 6 huskies that he can just put up there and leave on their own 24/7 all year round to protect his property ?? Awesome, because I'm pretty sure that the SPCA is probably one of the few groups that hasn't had a run in with him or taken legal action against him yet.

Just when you think the ridiculous circus act is finally over.

Oh....and Consiglio, you should really just stop talking. Really.
Encouraging young people to go out into the bush and shoot trees and tear up bushes and leave your place alone.
What a prince.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

First there was a wind storm that wrecked everything. Then vandals Re-wrecked the wrecked stuff?
WW
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

tsayta wrote:First there was a wind storm that wrecked everything. Then vandals Re-wrecked the wrecked stuff?

Apparently.
What are the chances of that happening. Weird.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

I'm not sure how they have any money to operate if they are also bankrupt
WW

Return to “Central Okanagan”