Kelowna Mountain Suspension Bridge

fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Kelowna Mountain Suspension Bridge

Post by fall »

Farmmaa wrote:So...according to the listing, the 320 acres includes the welcome centre and a portion of the tiered patio.
Huh ?? :135:
For 8 million, you get a fairly useless building that is already starting to fall apart, 319 acres of rocky hillside...and half a patio.

As for this parcel every being subdivided...not in the near future.
That was one of the biggest battles with Consiglio and the RDCO....there is no water up there.
It is also not zoned for residential.

But...thank gawd he's not involved with destroying that land any more than he already has.

A portion of the patio, strange.
The building could be refurbished and turned into a house, they sunk millions into building it.
I am sure Kettle Valley was once rocky hillside also, excavators can work magic on terrain like that.
I think they will allow it to be subdivided and zone it for residential down the road and may have a better relationship with the next developer.
There seems to be water everywhere else on all the other hillside developments in the area.
I predict in ten years it will be another subdivision.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

So where will they get sewer and water? It is outside the city limits and there is no inherent "right" to connect to the city services.
I don't disagree that it will eventually be developed, but it will be by someone with both more money AND more brains.

There has been mortgage fraud issues up there.
Then, the MIC that held the mortgages on it was an epic fail, and anyone who looked at the offering memorandum on that and couldn't see the flaws would have been an absolute idiot. The appraisal values were so flawed it was bizarre and the strategy was to get multiple, ever increasing appraisals to justify the increased lending and the huge loan to value rates.

Finally, all one had to do was look at historical behaviour of the developer and it would indicate that certain future behaviour could or would occur.

The current situation was sooooo predictable. But, this is hardly uncommon and after one or two or three failures, with each subsequent buyer getting it at lower prices, it can work.
You and 71 others Like this post
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

The city has been known to have close relationships with developers and likes money, I am sure they can work out sewer and water somehow.
Or, someone may just decide they would like a 319 acre private estate and make the welcome center a nice house.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

fall wrote:The city has been known to have close relationships with developers and likes money, I am sure they can work out sewer and water somehow.

The city has nothing to do with it, it is not within city limits.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Where does the building get water and septic from now?
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

2 drilled Wells. Septic: don't know
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

You can have septic fields. However, you cannot *create* a new lot on septic that is under one hectare (2.47ac) in size now.
Loxley

Post by Loxley »

That property will never be developed. At least not for many years. It is on ALR land and that was one of the things the developer was trying to change. The province is cracking down on non farming activities on ALR. Also, its a very expensive place to build houses.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Loxley wrote:That property will never be developed. At least not for many years. It is on ALR land and that was one of the things the developer was trying to change. The province is cracking down on non farming activities on ALR. Also, its a very expensive place to build houses.

It's not ALR.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Loxley wrote:That property will never be developed. At least not for many years. It is on ALR land and that was one of the things the developer was trying to change. The province is cracking down on non farming activities on ALR. Also, its a very expensive place to build houses.

Here is a map that shows ALR land in BC
http://apps.gov.bc.ca/pub/dmf-viewer/?s ... 3339106301
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

I'm not a developer but the land on the front side where the bridges are doesn't look exactly housing friendly.

The viable part of that place seems to be the structure and patio used for events.

Besides some smaller retail spaces in the building, I thought at one point they had the "facility" positioned for wedding events. Wasn't there even an OSO event up there at one point?

The rest of it with regard to "money-making" would have been the bridges but from what ive heard, I don't think theyve been maintained.

... at the end of the day, there looks to be enough infrastructure up there between the building and patio/stage that someone with some vision must be able to turn some $$$
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Looks like the lawyers are turning all the profit right now.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

I can see the suspension bridges from here. People are trespassing and walking across. Looks like there pieces of the sides missing. Hope someone doesn't get hurt. Likely no maintenance or safety checks goes on there
WW
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

WW
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

tsayta wrote:I can see the suspension bridges from here. People are trespassing and walking across. Looks like there pieces of the sides missing. Hope someone doesn't get hurt. Likely no maintenance or safety checks goes on there

I'm assuming it's the same material that was on it when I was up last year. It's a sort of white mesh and was just on the north side - not sure what the purpose was other than to maybe give some reflective surface for the lights they had on there. Odd that you would want that on the sides of a suspension bridge as one would think you'd want it to be as aerodynamic as possible for when winds pick up, rather than acting like a huge sail.

ETA: it has nothing to do with preventing anyone from falling off - there's still the chain-link on both sides.

Return to “Central Okanagan”