Homeless camps in Kelowna

Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Homeless camps in Kelowna

Post by Catri »

pepsilover wrote:I agree that would likely be a result for some of the offenders, but others would likely move on to the next city to see if they had 'nicer social workers' who they could manipulate. Yet others (hope upon hope) would clean up their act.

The next city? Social Assistance is a provincial deal. Welfare recipients don't actually meet face to face with social workers much anymore. They have most of their interaction over the phone and the city the client lives in is often not the same city the social worker they're dealing with is in.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Catri wrote:
The next city? Social Assistance is a provincial deal. Welfare recipients don't actually meet face to face with social workers much anymore. They have most of their interaction over the phone and the city the client lives in is often not the same city the social worker they're dealing with is in.

Oh I know social assistance is a provincial deal, I used to work in the system years ago. I'm not collecting welfare so I had no idea this was all so 'tech-savvy' these days. But I'm not surprised. I did know about the 'direct deposit' which I find borderline hilarious, this first came out for companies that wanted to pay their employees, now the welfare recipient just does what? Applies once? (do they see a worker or do that over the phone?) and then the money keeps coming? I'm seriously asking so if you know I would like to hear. 'Cause it doesn't sound like there is much accountability at all anymore.

So that is part of the problem then isn't it? So how does this all work now? Have they fired all the financial assistance workers and instead have people 'applying online' or just phoning in and pressing "1" for full benefits, "2" for support only, "3 for rent support" - or how is this done on the telephone?

Does the client have to see somebody in person to apply? Do they have to report every month if they still require assistance or not? How is this done in our new 'tech friendly' world?
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
pacific403

Post by pacific403 »

They are used in the summer by the army, may not be viable in the winter due to lack of heating.

It is not very reasonable to say the solution is to send them to another city.[/quote]

All the wood we have at the dump could heat place all winter long... It is a good excuse though!
pacific403

Post by pacific403 »

Didn't you post this exact same response (word for word) in the thread about RCMP Resources? As I responded to you there, the army barracks are on reserve for Syrian refugees courtesy of the federal government. It's called OPERATION PROVISION and the link and article is in my response to you in the other thread.

So no, the army barracks is not a resource for homeless people or drug addicts.[/quote]

AND.... when these refuges are gone... it stays MT winter long

So more excuses!!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A military spokesperson has already stated the Vernon Army Barracks would not be suitable for refugees. Considering this is about Kelowna, I highly doubt the homeless here would consider relocating to another city nor would I expect another city be interested in solving Kelowna's homeless problems.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

here is a link to the government website regarding social assistance for anyone interested. Covers things such as applying online/over phone/in office, what you need to apply, and work search requirements.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/family-social-supports/income-assistance/apply-for-assistance

You are also able to fill out the application to a certain degree (without sending it in or giving private information) to see how much you would be able to receive if you were needing welfare. We did so in one of my classes while I was in school and it is eye opening.
hail Satan y'all
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

pepsilover wrote:Oh I know social assistance is a provincial deal, I used to work in the system years ago. I'm not collecting welfare so I had no idea this was all so 'tech-savvy' these days. But I'm not surprised. I did know about the 'direct deposit' which I find borderline hilarious, this first came out for companies that wanted to pay their employees, now the welfare recipient just does what? Applies once? (do they see a worker or do that over the phone?) and then the money keeps coming? I'm seriously asking so if you know I would like to hear. 'Cause it doesn't sound like there is much accountability at all anymore.

So that is part of the problem then isn't it? So how does this all work now? Have they fired all the financial assistance workers and instead have people 'applying online' or just phoning in and pressing "1" for full benefits, "2" for support only, "3 for rent support" - or how is this done on the telephone?

Does the client have to see somebody in person to apply? Do they have to report every month if they still require assistance or not? How is this done in our new 'tech friendly' world?

Well I don't know that I'd call it tech savvy so much as a basic 21st century way of conducting business and probably a fair amount of money saved on administration and bricks & mortar. I don't think there's any more or less accountability than there ever has been. You might find this link helpful:
https://www.iaselfserve.gov.bc.ca/HomePage.aspx
pacific403

Post by pacific403 »

Fancy wrote:A military spokesperson has already stated the Vernon Army Barracks would not be suitable for refugees. Considering this is about Kelowna, I highly doubt the homeless here would consider relocating to another city nor would I expect another city be interested in solving Kelowna's homeless problems.

It is not a matter of relocating them to another city, rather use the "Vernon Army Barracks" as a short term use of this facility, to build their dignity, hair cut, shave, etc, and while there see what they would like to do in the short time they may have in their lives. Maybe some counselling, resumee writing, courses, what do they want to do, or maybe what don't want to do! That is all I am suggested.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

pacific403 wrote:

It is not a matter of relocating them to another city, rather use the "Vernon Army Barracks" as a short term use of this facility, to build their dignity, hair cut, shave, etc, and while there see what they would like to do in the short time they may have in their lives. Maybe some counselling, resumee writing, courses, what do they want to do, or maybe what don't want to do! That is all I am suggested.

I think your idea is a good one, and common sense use of empty buildings. Hence it will never fly, because it makes too much sense. That's our government for you.

Wasn't there a John Howard Society mission in Vernon awhile back? But I remember hearing it closed, no? Is there any kind of resource in Vernon for the homeless? (like the Gospel Mission is in Kelowna)
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

pacific403 wrote:It is not a matter of relocating them to another city, rather use the "Vernon Army Barracks" as a short term use of this facility, to build their dignity, hair cut, shave, etc, and while there see what they would like to do in the short time they may have in their lives. Maybe some counselling, resumee writing, courses, what do they want to do, or maybe what don't want to do! That is all I am suggested.

I definitely get what you are trying to say, and think it would be a good idea if we set something similar up in Kelowna. I can not seem to find the "homeless count" results that occurred in 2014 and 2016, the newest results I can find is from 2011. It saying that there are 279 homeless people living in Kelowna, and I am sure that number has grown in the past 5 years.

http://homelesshub.ca/community-profiles/british-columbia/kelowna

So to move all those people from Kelowna to Vernon would make job hunting near impossible as the job competition would be huge. Unless we bused people back and forth for job interviews, looking at rentals etc but I can't imagine that being efficient at all. And I am sure some of the people in Vernon might have an issue with an increase of hundred of homeless people to their community. It would also put an increasing strain on Vernon's social supports such as supports for mental illness's, disabilities, hospital and even just the welfare office.
hail Satan y'all
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

pacific403 wrote:It is not a matter of relocating them to another city, rather use the "Vernon Army Barracks" as a short term use of this facility, to build their dignity, hair cut, shave, etc, and while there see what they would like to do in the short time they may have in their lives. Maybe some counselling, resumee writing, courses, what do they want to do, or maybe what don't want to do! That is all I am suggested.

No need to go that far. The Bargain Shop on Bernard has been sitting empty for years. Western Star building on Enterprise as well I believe.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
tpa

Post by tpa »

Some affordable housing in this town or anywhere for that matter would be helpful. The welfare rate of $610 per month is prehistoric and doesn`t pay the bills. I expect that the problem of homelessness will only get worse. It`s a multifaceted problem with no easy answers. I used to think of homeless people as a bunch of drug addicted lazy bums etc but realize now that many have mental health issues with addictions as well and deserve compassion as human beings. In this day in age , I think a lot of people could become homeless quite easily even people that are working and trying hard to make a living. It`s tough, the cost of living keeps going up and it`s not stopping. We don`t have adequate social programs for people who need it , the system doesn`t work. It certainly isn`t as simple as doing drug tests for people on social assistance , that won`t solve the problem . Perhaps drug testing politicians might help though :-X
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

Can people be homeless and still give a hoot about their surroundings. There are some settlers camped on the back side of the dog park on Richter .It looks like a garbage dump over there.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
tpa

Post by tpa »

no kidding :hailjo:
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

you cant take a bunch of homeless mentally ill drug addicts and put them in a building and expect it to change anything.all the underlying problems that made them homeless in the first place are still there.the only thing that would change is their surroundings. im sure there are some homeless people who could make it work but they are few and far between.

Return to “Central Okanagan”