Homeless camps in Kelowna

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Homeless camps in Kelowna

Post by the truth »

http://globalnews.ca/news/2625974/numbe ... f-control/

imo these are not as much homeless camps as they are junkie camps, the homeless are not the problem the junkies are,
stop giving these people welfare cheques to buy drugs, and places giving out free meals no reason for them to change or move on when there is no reason too,like I said a few days ago look at leon, and there you go look at leon ave

so city of Kelowna what now another-BS- study- :-X :-X
yes,help the homeless ---
time to clean this town up , grow some balls city of Kelowna and deal with the homeless criminal junkies all over this town
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: Homeless camps in Kelowna

Post by whatwhat »

So how do you suggest we figure out who the "truly homeless" are from the junkies?
What if someone is homeless, uses drug but has a mental illness/disability? Which category would they fall under?

PS. People who collect any social services, including welfare, need an address to collect same. So unless the homeless have a friend/family member willing to allow the use of their address they aren't collecting.
hail Satan y'all
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: homeless camps in kelowna

Post by Ken7 »

whatwhat wrote:So how do you suggest we figure out who the "truly homeless" are from the junkies?
What if someone is homeless, uses drug but has a mental illness/disability? Which category would they fall under?

PS. People who collect any social services, including welfare, need an address to collect same. So unless the homeless have a friend/family member willing to allow the use of their address they aren't collecting.

Drug test recipients would work.

Seriously now, they do not need a address to have a cheque deposited in their bank. I know this as I have a friend who lived / lives on the street.

Sadly, providing them with shelter as they have in Medicine Hat, AB I don't think will work. A small percentage possibly but to many I feel it's a life style choice.
Trigger69
Fledgling

Post by Trigger69 »

whatwhat wrote:So how do you suggest we figure out who the "truly homeless" are from the junkies?

PS they use the shelter's address....not rocket science. And to distinguish the "junkies" from the homeless. Drug tests. Sorry I said it but if someone tests positive for cocaine or heroin, they get no cheque IMO.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: homeless camps in kelowna

Post by whatwhat »

Ken7 wrote:Drug test recipients would work.

Seriously now, they do not need a address to have a cheque deposited in their bank. I know this as I have a friend who lived / lives on the street.

Sadly, providing them with shelter as they have in Medicine Hat, AB I don't think will work. A small percentage possibly but to many I feel it's a life style choice.

Drug testing is a popular choice. But many states have pushed through drug testing and the cost of actually drug testing vs how many people they actually caught using drugs was useless. I'll post a link to the results of said drug testing for welfare.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2015/02/26/3624447/tanf-drug-testing-states/

I personally have always liked the idea of food stamps, paying directly for medications and direct deposit for rent (if they choose to have housing) etc instead of providing a check. Just because someone has an addiction, doesn't mean they don't deserve to survive, even though it seems other's don't think the same. I think providing money that goes directly to benefitting the person and can't be used for drugs would be beneficial.
hail Satan y'all
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

food stamps does not work , people will sell them for less then they are worth to people for cash so they can buy there drugs
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

the truth wrote:food stamps does not work , people will sell them for less then they are worth to people for cash so they can buy there drugs

Could be, I wonder if there is any evidence in areas that do provide food stamps how many actually get sold. I can't imagine many people buying food stamps from people on the side of the street though.
hail Satan y'all
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Drugs only last a certain amount of time in your system. so for testing on welfare, someone might only need to stay clean for 12 hours- 7 days to be able to pass a drug test. I'll provide a link with common street drugs and how long they stay in the system (blood, urine and hair included).

http://www.newhealthadvisor.com/How-Long-Do-Drugs-Stay-in-Your-System.html

And what about people who prescription drugs? People who are prescribed pain killers, but also abuse them. Obviously there would have to be a system set up for people who are on prescription drugs so they could still collect welfare, but how do you tell between the abusers and the ones who don't?
hail Satan y'all
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

well imo, before you get your cheque at the end of the month you provide a urine sample http://www.drugtestkits.ca/?gclid=CN2xt ... aQodLFgN-Q you pass you get your money if you can not stay clean for 12hrs to 7 days as you said --no cheque I am sure many would fail
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

the truth wrote:well imo, before you get your cheque at the end of the month you provide a urine sample http://www.drugtestkits.ca/?gclid=CN2xt ... aQodLFgN-Q you pass you get your money if you can not stay clean for 12hrs to 7 days as you said --no cheque I am sure many would fail

So you would be okay if someone was able to stay sober for 12 hours, get their cheque and then continue using for the next three weeks until the next time? that doesn't seem to really solve the problem.
hail Satan y'all
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

no I am not, there is no perfect solution but we can chip away at it
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

the truth wrote:no I am not, there is no perfect solution but we can chip away at it

So waste even more tax payers money on drug testing that the drug users will be able to get around anyways? Just so we might catch a handful of people? (I would again point you in the direction of the article I linked to about drug testing in some states and how many people they actually caught)
hail Satan y'all
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

real junkies will not stay clean, spend $10 on a urine kit per person then save $500 or so if they get caught ,I think were saving money, did you watch the link its more than a few
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

the truth wrote:real junkies will not stay clean, spend $10 on a urine kit per person then save $500 or so if they get caught ,I think were saving money, did you watch the link its more than a few

But how many of those people are actually collecting welfare?
Minus the people who will be able to fake the system by staying clean for a day or two, and add the cost of drug testing all the people who don't use drugs. The evidence of drug testing in other areas haven't been great.
hail Satan y'all
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

imo, the true junkies can not stay clean, but if you can give 3-5 clean urine test in a row you stop testing them unless there is a reason to start testing them again

Return to “Central Okanagan”