pacific403

Uber is coming to town...

Post by pacific403 »

Did you know Uber is coming to Kelowna?
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: Uber is coming to town...

Post by whatwhat »

I have never used Uber, but it might be interesting. Hopefully will be a less expensive then a cab, or will force cab drivers to drop their fares a bit to compete.
hail Satan y'all
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Interesting. From what I understand, Uber is way more expensive than regular cabs. It's billed automatically to your credit card and there are horror stories about people being charged hundreds of dollars for a relatively short trip.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

techrtr wrote:Interesting. From what I understand, Uber is way more expensive than regular cabs. It's billed automatically to your credit card and there are horror stories about people being charged hundreds of dollars for a relatively short trip.

I have heard the same thing as well. Also with the fact that anyone can become an Uber driver with a simple download of an app. There isn't any regulation or hiring process of the actual drivers. I have heard stories of people getting text messages afterwards from their drivers etc. Could be a creepy situation.
hail Satan y'all
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

You know exactly what the fare will be before you get in the car, the app tells you. During periods of high demand, there is "surge" pricing, where fares are increased. Usually those reports of the unexpected hundreds of dollars in fare is someone clicking on ok without looking at the price after a few drinks.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

do we have confirmation that they're coming here or is it he said she said I thought there were some licensing issues
jhill

Post by jhill »

techrtr wrote:Interesting. From what I understand, Uber is way more expensive than regular cabs. It's billed automatically to your credit card and there are horror stories about people being charged hundreds of dollars for a relatively short trip.

That's absolute nonsense. Über and the app is linked up to your PayPal account and is a pre determined amount before you even get into your ride. The transaction is completed once you arrive. It's all a streamlined process that is brilliant. I've personally used uber in various cities both Canada and the US and I'll never want to use a conventional taxi service again. All uber drivers I've met are all great professional people and CLEAN cars. Always picked up within minutes. The best part is it's all a gps based ride so you are not paying a running meter and you can clearly see your route both on the in car screen and your phone app. Zero chance of being taken a sucker not know where you need to go. The rates are fair and on point.

Case and point with a taxi I took in Montreal, the driver was not using a gps to take me to my destination, meanwhile I was on my I phone. He not only took me the long way around, but I also pointed out to him that he took an extra loop claiming he knew the fastest way- I had in fact been to my destination before. Initially put up a fuss when I only paid half my fare, but realized I was on to him.

Über has great customer service, one instance I had a language barrier with my driver and was dropped off a block too far. Uber called us directly and credited our ride and even apologized for the mis communication. What taxi service would do that?! Uber is the future of the industry and taxis realize they are left in the dust playing catch up.
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

As long as UBER is forced to play by the same rules and regulations as the taxis I don't have a problem. When they arn't regulated everyone should be careful when using them.
pacific403

Post by pacific403 »

LTD wrote:do we have confirmation that they're coming here or is it he said she said I thought there were some licensing issues

QUOTE:
Uber is conducting information sessions in Kelowna on April 11th to provide more information about the Uber platform. Come to one of our sessions listed below; we will answer your questions and assist you with your driver signup process.
The sessions will have 3 components, so you must be on time:

1) 15 minute presentation
2) Question and answer period
3) Help with uploading your documents to your account

Please RSVP for ONE session. Both sessions will cover the same information.

Space is limited so please RSVP if you plan to attend.

Session 1 Date: April 11th, 2016 Time: 6:00pm
Location: The Okanagan Room, Royal Anne Hotel, 348 Bernard Ave, Kelowna, BC

Session 2 Date: April 11th, 2016 Time: 7:30pm
Location: The Okanagan Room, Royal Anne Hotel, 348 Bernard Ave, Kelowna, BC

END QUOTE
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/ ... e3618.html
Kelowna would not have the same authority over Uber as other cities such as Edmonton, which legalized Uber in January, said Fleming.
“In Edmonton, a bylaw actually sets taxi cab rates, and that’s something that municipalities do not have the authority to do in B.C.”
Kelowna’s role could involve granting chauffeur’s permits and business licences for the company, he said.
Many taxi companies have voiced concerns about Uber, including the B.C. Taxi Association, which regulates all of the taxi companies in Kelowna.
“I want (Uber) to start acting like a responsible entity,” said Mohan Kang, president of the B.C. Taxi Association. “Nobody is above the law, and they want a special status (that) cannot be given.”
One concern is that Uber does not provide the same level of assurance of public safety as taxis do, said Kang.
“Taxi drivers are accountable and identifiable,” he said. “Uber is not going to contribute anything to this society or the province.”
Kang said he hopes the government addresses issues including safety and insurance before allowing Uber into the province.
“We are confident the British Columbia government is going to do the right thing and have total consultation to make sure that Uber is not allowed to operate illegally as they have done in other parts of the world.”
The Uber information session will be held on Monday, April 11, at Royal Anne Hotel, 348 Bernard Ave., from 6 to 9 p.m.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I took an Uber ride for the first time last week and it was fantastic.

We got to track the driver as he approached the pickup, got a text when he was a minute away, no money physically exchanged hands (this is convenient for the user but protects the driver from people who dash without paying), we knew the fare, and the driver was awesome. It was significantly cheaper than a cab and the app made the experience really great.

Our driver used to drive a cab and he said he makes more money through Uber and can set his own hours. He was a student so it was pretty much the perfect job for him.

Cab companies are falling behind the technology and experience... it's no wonder they're scared.

The people who get surprised by big bills just don't understand how the Uber system works... it's their own fault, not Uber's.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

westbankkid wrote:As long as UBER is forced to play by the same rules and regulations as the taxis I don't have a problem. When they arn't regulated everyone should be careful when using them.

Why dont we just get rid if the $250k taxi medallion fees to level the playing field.

Those fees are only that expensive becouse the taxi industry wanted to control who could enter the industry. Prices are artificially inflated by a unatrual restriction in demand.

Level the playing filed by dumping outdated city fees that do nothing. They certianly are not raising the standard of drivers and cars which uber has done.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

All for competition. But besides licensing fee for taxis there are also regulations overseeing taxis as vehicles in business of transporting public that are not there for Ubers.So field has to levelled in different areas particularly when it comes to public safety
susyq
Fledgling

Post by susyq »

We are a local Limousine Company, with private Sedan service in & around Kelowna. We are required to have an NSC # (national safety code) in which our safety record is scrutinized annually for accidents & traffic tickets. Our vehicles are licenced & tariffed through the passenger transportation board. Every vehicle on our fleet has a mandatory 6 month Inspection, has the proper Insurance for commercial vehicle, drivers undergo a criminal check for their chauffeurs permit issued by the RCMP. The drivers wear a suit & tie, cars are super clean & when picking up at the Airport we do so with a name sign. Airport decals are just under $1000 a year per vehicle, we have 4 decals. We must have a business licence & city stickers on every vehicle. If we want to add another Sedan to our fleet, We must apply to the PTB for additional licence, & which in about 6 weeks time (or longer) may or may not be approved.....
Uber just wants to start business in Kelowna without having any of the above hassles..... Uber Cars will NOT be insured properly, will not be mechanically sound, & will charge what they want....
It is not just the cab companies who will suffer financially if Uber comes to town, Limousine Services offering Sedan Service will also feel the loss of business.
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

susyq wrote:We are a local Limousine Company, with private Sedan service in & around Kelowna. We are required to have an NSC # (national safety code) in which our safety record is scrutinized annually for accidents & traffic tickets. Our vehicles are licenced & tariffed through the passenger transportation board. Every vehicle on our fleet has a mandatory 6 month Inspection, has the proper Insurance for commercial vehicle, drivers undergo a criminal check for their chauffeurs permit issued by the RCMP. The drivers wear a suit & tie, cars are super clean & when picking up at the Airport we do so with a name sign. Airport decals are just under $1000 a year per vehicle, we have 4 decals. We must have a business licence & city stickers on every vehicle. If we want to add another Sedan to our fleet, We must apply to the PTB for additional licence, & which in about 6 weeks time (or longer) may or may not be approved.....
Uber just wants to start business in Kelowna without having any of the above hassles..... Uber Cars will NOT be insured properly, will not be mechanically sound, & will charge what they want....
It is not just the cab companies who will suffer financially if Uber comes to town, Limousine Services offering Sedan Service will also feel the loss of business.

Why not just drive for UBER when you aren't hired? It not like your vehicles suck and would be unsafe or anything. :/
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”