Uber is coming to town...

alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Uber is coming to town...

Post by alfred2 »

who cares they are coming, do not use them, this is a free country. Why do people get so worked up over this? :130:
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Meh .. No thanks .

I know that there'll be no Uber drivers in this town that will provide 5 mil 3rd party liability insurance , a criminal record check OR a mandatory motor vehicle inspection every 6 months ..

Remember , you get what you pay for .[/quote]

ya and cabs are so much better lol
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

MAPearce wrote:Meh .. No thanks .

I know that there'll be no Uber drivers in this town that will provide 5 mil 3rd party liability insurance , a criminal record check OR a mandatory motor vehicle inspection every 6 months ..

Remember , you get what you pay for .

Wrong, and wrong

INSURANCE
All drivers are required to carry valid personal auto insurance, which will be your primary coverage. Every ride on the uberX platform is backed by $5,000,000 of contingent coverage for bodily injury and property damage to third parties. This means that if, in the event of an accident, your own personal insurance is exhausted or does not apply for any reason, passengers, pedestrians, other drivers, and the community at large can rest assured knowing that ridesharing partners remain covered by a robust first-class policy.

BACKGROUND CHECKS
Why do I need a background check?

Background checks are vital to ensure safety on the Uber system. All partners are background checked. Not to worry - Uber pays for all background check fees!

You may be right on the 6 month safety checks, but I have been in some cabs that are making some very weird noises.

REQUIREMENTS
What type of car do I need?

A 4 door vehicle that is no older than 10 years from present day. For example, as of January 1st, 2016, driver partners must be operating a vehicle that is a 2006-2016. No older than 2006 will be permitted on the system.

So, what are your next objections?
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

alfred2 wrote:who cares they are coming, do not use them, this is a free country. Why do people get so worked up over this? :130:

Because it's the castanet forums, everyone gets all worked up over everything all the time for no reason at all. :fence:
Your bias suits you.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

So, what are your next objections?

You go to that meeting G ?? I didn't and don't really care to but if those are Uber's requirements , It's a good start ..bb

But I'm wondering about this part.

All drivers are required to carry valid personal auto insurance, which will be your primary coverage. Every ride on the uberX platform is backed by $5,000,000 of contingent coverage for bodily injury and property damage to third parties. This means that if, in the event of an accident, your own personal insurance is exhausted or does not apply for any reason, passengers, pedestrians, other drivers, and the community at large can rest assured knowing that ridesharing partners remain covered by a robust first-class policy.

Who supplies the 5 mil ? Uber , or the guy who woke up in the morning and decided to be a cab driver??
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

MAPearce wrote:
Who supplies the 5 mil ? Uber , or the guy who woke up in the morning and decided to be a cab driver??

Uber does.
Persian Apple Country

Post by Persian Apple Country »

So Uber, this Billion dollar tech giant doesn't want me to find out where and how I can get a seat in this information session.
I was looking for the UBER Kelowna page and RSVP info; After 20 minutes googling I gave up. Weird.
Last edited by Persian Apple Country on Apr 10th, 2016, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Two there are who are never satisfied - the lover of the world and the lover of knowledge.” Rumi
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Everything in this thread may or may not mean anything, depending on what the BC Government decision will be.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

GordonH wrote:Everything in this thread may or may not mean anything, depending on what the BC Government decision will be.

I'm betting they nix this whole thing based on lost revenue ... There's more than one reason for the heavy regulation of the passenger transport industry in this s province...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

MAPearce wrote:
I'm betting they nix this whole thing based on lost revenue ... There's more than one reason for the heavy regulation of the passenger transport industry in this s province...

Then they'll be like the recording industry, doomed to failure. It's coming whether they like it or not.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I take Blacktop cabs on occasion (few times a month). I've noticed that without me asking drivers do tend to badmouth Uber. I wonder if their management asks them to do it or perhaps it's a hot topic around their water cooler.

In any case, somebody is sweating big time.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Even Steven wrote:I take Blacktop cabs on occasion (few times a month). I've noticed that without me asking drivers do tend to badmouth Uber. I wonder if their management asks them to do it or perhaps it's a hot topic around their water cooler.

In any case, somebody is sweating big time.

Yeah , the taxi industry will be sweatin bullets..

If you knew how it works you'd understand and without going into explicit detail , there is a lot to lose for each individual car owner ( shareholder ) and the individual drivers who earn their living from them. The fact is that the taxi industry is heavily regulated and therefore taxed , never mind mandatory ICBC insurance minimums..

They have every right to cry foul if the province doesn't keep a level playing field for an industry they chose to regulate .
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

MAPearce wrote:
Yeah , the taxi industry will be sweatin bullets..

If you knew how it works you'd understand and without going into explicit detail , there is a lot to lose for each individual car owner ( shareholder ) and the individual drivers who earn their living from them. The fact is that the taxi industry is heavily regulated and therefore taxed , never mind mandatory ICBC insurance minimums..

They have every right to cry foul if the province doesn't keep a level playing field for an industry they chose to regulate .

I do agree with you there, to a point. It definitely hurts the cab owner, but not necessarily the cab driver. The only thing stopping a cab driver (not cab owner) from becoming his own boss is the need for his own vehicle. If he has that then he can switch over to become an Uber driver. Uber (or some version of it) will be coming, as it has in most major US cities.

Uber keeps 25% of the fare. What does a cab driver get to keep of his fare?
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

MAPearce wrote: They have every right to cry foul if the province doesn't keep a level playing field for an industry they chose to regulate .

Just like we as the customers have every right to expect cabs improve their business models and customer service.
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

goatboy wrote:Then they'll be like the recording industry, doomed to failure. It's coming whether they like it or not.

Without Provincial approval they will not be coming.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Central Okanagan”