Uber is coming to town...

cyberking

Re: Uber is coming to town...

Post by cyberking »

know why the taxis are fighting it !!! The drivers will make more money !!!
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

goatboy wrote:The taxi industry needs to embrace the Uber model and then jump on that fast moving band wagon.

It's the cab owners and cab companies who are sweating big time right now. Cab drivers will simply switch to being Uber drivers and with years of experience will make plenty of money without paying $300K for a taxi medallion, dispatching fees, and other costs that come from being tied to one cab company.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

It's not nit picking, it's the fundamental difference between Uber and a cab

Uber provides a platform to connect people who need a ride and someone who is willing to take them there in their own vehicle for a fee. Uber collects a fee for providing this service. They don't employ any drivers. They don't collect taxes. All their drivers are independent contractors that woudl not have been able to provide this option before the Uber app.

The difference between Uber and cab is exactly like comparing a car rental agency and a cab. They both provide a means of getting from A to B. The only difference is a cab also provides you with a driver. Realistically, that is the only difference between the two. What other difference do you see? You get a car that's not yours for a specific time period. The car takes you from one place to another. A cab has someone drive you, a rental car has you drive. WHY you use either is very different but the service they supply is basically the same.

Do B&B's have regular health inspections? Are they required to have a business license? I can sell a few cars from my driveway before needing to meet all the same requirements of a car dealership. Why?

That makes a lot of sense.

I can't imagine why anybody would fight this unless they are involved in the Taxi industry. I have been trying to reconcile myself with this 250 to 300k for a medallion. Who pays that? The cabby? How the hell does a cabby pay that kind of money? That is a truck load of fares over a long period of time.

Ma is right though from an ethical standpoint as it does appear that Uber is somehow skating around the rules that apply to the Taxi industry but to me, all that says is that those rules need to change as it seems that for a heavily regulated industry, the end product is not very good.

Consumers need wins too and there are precious few of those out there anymore. This is a win. Fairly priced transportation services makes sense so as to Goatboys words, the Taxi industry needs to embrace this new wave or they will die. Simple.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

To own a taxi , you must buy the "medallion"... Or what is know here as a Motor Carrier plate..

The province issues only so many per license area based on population and the only way you can get one if you're aren't lucky enough to score one from the province is to buy one from a current owner.

Two years ago , a friend retired and sold his plate. It sold for well over 300k. After you own the plate ,it costs approx 5k per anum to by a sticker from the MCC. Just like you pay for annual vehicle insurance.

So , yeah the owners are *bleep* bricks.... You would be too , unless you can afford to have three hundred thousand dollars taken away from you .... Never mind EVERYTHING you used as collateral finance to get that plate....

Can you afford that ???? Who here can call that even remotely fair ???
Last edited by MAPearce on Apr 15th, 2016, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Exactly 2 people in this thread actually use taxis/uber. looollll
Your bias suits you.
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

Sadly, it's a fact of life, certain ways of making a living come to an end every day. And if you didn't look up and see it coming, oh well.
What I do find is that it's unfair of the government to trap people in the cab business to all the guide lines and restrictions and fees, and let someone operate right beside them without any. That is crap.
And cab companies do not allow the drivers to do both.
Although I understand why some people embrace it, my experience with the public, maintenance, and liability, I will stick with cabs for now.
I have learned a few things in this thread, so it does pay to keep and open ear and mind ;-)

My questions of the day are;

will Uber always have someone on the road?
Cab companies always have someone. Yes, I know you have to wait, but when someone does it for a living, they hit the streets to grab fares. That's the way it works. They love the busy times, and but they also sit and wait.
So, if Uber rules and cabs become extinct in Kelowna, will you always get a car?

Also, will Uber forward fare information so these people pay taxes. Hey, I pay, you pay!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

MAPearce wrote:To own a taxi , you must buy the "medallion"... Or what is know here as a Motor Carrier plate..

The province issues only so many per license area based on population and the only way you can get one if you're aren't lucky enough to score one from the province is to buy one from a current owner.

Two years ago , a friend retired and sold his plate. It sold for well over 300k. After you own the plate ,it costs approx 5k per anum to by a sticker from the MCC. Just like you pay for annual vehicle insurance.

So , yeah the owners are *bleep* bricks.... You would be too , unless you can afford to have three hundred thousand dollars taken away from you .... Never mind EVERYTHING you used as collateral finance to get that plate....

Can you afford that ???? Who here can call that even remotely fair ???

It doesn't sound fair too me. It sounds like extortion. It's not like cabbies are making 200 plus a year and can pay this off in a few years.

The idea I get. The cost though is ridiculous.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

will Uber always have someone on the road?
Cab companies always have someone. Yes, I know you have to wait, but when someone does it for a living, they hit the streets to grab fares. That's the way it works. They love the busy times, and but they also sit and wait.
So, if Uber rules and cabs become extinct in Kelowna, will you always get a car?

Also, will Uber forward fare information so these people pay taxes. Hey, I pay, you pay!

If it goes here, yes, there will always be someone on the road. At least there is in other cities.

As for forwarding any income information to ensure that taxes are paid, no. Drivers are contractors and are responsible for their own reporting.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:It does matter how much success Uber has had elsewhere, until gets the the Approval of BC Government its not operating in this Province.
If it does without approval then it's breaking the law.

goatboy wrote:That's true, but it will operate here. Not if, when. It will come down to political pressure by people who are tired of paying too much for a service when a cheaper alternative is operating in a lot of other places.

That when, and how will be up to BC Government. Meaning: Uber follows the same rules & laws governing Cab companies, or will the Government drop those rules & laws so both Uber & Cab companies are on the same playing field.

Both should be on equal requirements, should be no advantage or disadvantage to either (cabs or Uber)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

GordonH wrote:That's true, but it will operate here. Not if, when. It will come down to political pressure by people who are tired of paying too much for a service when a cheaper alternative is operating in a lot of other places.

That when, and how will be up to BC Government. Meaning: Uber follows the same rules & laws governing Cab companies, or will the Government drop those rules & laws so both Uber & Cab companies are on the same playing field.

Both should be on equal requirements, should be no advantage or disadvantage to either (cabs or Uber)[/quote]

Well, Uber cannot operate under current Taxi cab rules so it will have to be different but will it also change for cabs, that's the question, isn't it?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

goatboy wrote:That's true, but it will operate here. Not if, when. It will come down to political pressure by people who are tired of paying too much for a service when a cheaper alternative is operating in a lot of other places.

GordonH wrote:That when, and how will be up to BC Government. Meaning: Uber follows the same rules & laws governing Cab companies, or will the Government drop those rules & laws so both Uber & Cab companies are on the same playing field.
Both should be on equal requirements, should be no advantage or disadvantage to either (cabs or Uber)

goatboy wrote:Well, Uber cannot operate under current Taxi cab rules so it will have to be different but will it also change for cabs, that's the question, isn't it?

Then Taxi cab should operate with exact same rules Uber does, which includes any Provincial fee's / permits etc...etc
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

GordonH wrote:Then Taxi cab should operate with exact same rules Uber does, which includes any Provincial fee's / permits etc...etc

Regardless of what equal regulations they decide on its obvious who has the superior business model, system and service. So one service is going to lose out and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who would. Either way the cab industry is either going to have evolve or be out of business. Regardless their future doesn't look bright.
Last edited by sublime on Apr 15th, 2016, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
tootall23
Fledgling

Post by tootall23 »

My only experience with Uber is multiple charges on my credit card from uberbvhelp.uber.com nl.

I have never used Uber nor do I intend to. Had to cancel my credit card. Mastercard took the charges off thankfully. Nice scam they have going.

http://chargeprotect.com/c/uber-bv-help-uber-com-nl
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

sublime wrote:Regardless of what equal regulations they decide on its obvious who has the superior business model, system and service. So one service is going to lose out and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who would.

Who wins or loses does not matter, what matters is both sides have the exact same advantages or disadvantages as the other. i.e working on the exact same playing field

Who wins or loses will be up to them competing against each other on fair & even grounds.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

bernie428 wrote: will Uber always have someone on the road?

Uber doesn't control people who drive for Uber. Drivers pick their own hours - they can work 1 day/week or they can work 5 days/week. They do encourage more people to become available by using higher pricing when the demand is high.

Return to “Central Okanagan”