Man attacked with machete in Kelowna

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: Man attacked with machete in Kelowna

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby whatwhat » 24 minutes ago

Well if wanting to provide services to help homeless people is "usual left wing theory", how would you right-wingers like to deal with the homeless "problem"?

I speak only for myself who is in the middle of the political spectrum'

1. Identify the various reasons each person is on the street.

2. Provide mandatory counselling for as long and as often as required for the addicted.

3. In or out patient supervision (as required) for mental patients.

4. Provide minimum supervised group housing for each. No frills (ie tobacco, booze, panhandling or drugs.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Donald G wrote:I speak only for myself who is in the middle of the political spectrum'

1. Identify the various reasons each person is on the street.

2. Provide mandatory counselling for as long and as often as required for the addicted.

3. In or out patient supervision (as required) for mental patients.

4. Provide minimum supervised group housing for each. No frills (ie tobacco, booze, panhandling or drugs.

I think those are actually really good ideas. But unfortunately all those things would cost a lot, and I don't believe our government or population would be willing to spend that much. But in a perfect world, yes.

My only issue would be the mandatory counseling. Would that be all homeless people, or just people wanting to get into the social services?

What should then happen to the people who would rather live on the street? Which is my main point, there will always people who would rather stay on the street and use, aka the "junkies" everyone on here in talking about. If they aren't willing to get clean, find housing etc what should our society do with them?
hail Satan y'all
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Fancy wrote:I've called them - they come. It's a great service.
Not sure what you mean by "get real".
Can also call the police but I'd rather not waste the resource when the Downtown Patrol offers support.
https://kelowna.cioc.ca/record/KNA1044
They are on the street and deal with the homeless and other issues on a daily basis. I've seen them at it.

gets better every day http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#163999
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Which has nothing to do with the machete attack. Being discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=67170
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

First you mention an incident that happened at 9:30 at night, then another one at 2 in the morning. What shopping happens at that time of night to prevent droves of people coming to the downtown area?
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Fancy wrote:First you mention an incident that happened at 9:30 at night, then another one at 2 in the morning. What shopping happens at that time of night to prevent droves of people coming to the downtown area?

I think i read a Castanet article few years back about 2-3am being peak time for sex trade workers. its their "happy hour", so to speak.

We're not talking about T4's or gst numbers but theyre still grinding out a living.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

And most of them don't pay taxes and they weren't the victims.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Donald G wrote:I speak only for myself who is in the middle of the political spectrum'

How would this part work? Like, you put them in jail if they don't go to their sessions? And even if they do, forcing someone to take counselling is like forcing them to go to university. You can make them sit in the room, but you can't make them learn stuff or apply it to their lives. All a counsellor does is guide their client through the work they have to do, they don't cure people or solve their problems. What person who's living on the streets has the werewithal to do this, and isn't doing it already?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

whatwhat wrote:
What should then happen to the people who would rather live on the street? Which is my main point, there will always people who would rather stay on the street and use, aka the "junkies" everyone on here in talking about. If they aren't willing to get clean, find housing etc what should our society do with them?

This is the part that people misunderstand. These individuals don't choose their lifestyle because it's fun or comfortable. They do it because they know how to survive that way. It's "the devil you know" for them. Individuals who have become so de-socialized that they can't function in an environment with rules and expectations. They are unable to trust people because of the trauma they've been through. On the street, they have nothing, but they are mostly left alone.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.

Return to “Central Okanagan”