$20,000 in Taxes, Nice Job City Of Kelowna

Kelowna_Born
Fledgling

$20,000 in Taxes, Nice Job City Of Kelowna

Post by Kelowna_Born »

This is what you get for paying $20,000 a year in property taxes in our nice little Abbott St corridor. Colin Basran wants to build police stations, rails to trails, hell maybe a new city hall to park his a$$ is in coming soon.

Our city can't even keep the lines on the road painted, the lawns not even half-a$$ed maintained or those fancy rainbow stick lights downtown in front of Safeway going, half of them have been burnt out for 2 years.

Great job Mayor and Council.
Attachments
Abbott St 2.jpg
Abbott St 1.jpg
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Re: $20,000 in Taxes, Nice Job City Of Kelowna

Post by Gixxer »

Didnt he become Mayor in the Fall of 2015?
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

oh no the rich people have dandilions what are we going to do???
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

WOW, I had the exact same thought. God forbid a project of such perfection for one area in Kelowna, which other areas do not have, be imperfect. GASP.

Maybe when that neighbourhood gets together for their annual $1000 picnic, they can put their collective heads together and organize a weeding party.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

voice of reason wrote:oh no the rich people have dandilions what are we going to do???

Dandelions are some if the first flowering plants we have in the Spring that our local endangered bee populations need to survive...just sayin'... :D
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

that's not the mayor and councils problem you should direct your complaints to the cities maintenance dept and dandelions are hardly something I would consider a problem tough to get rid of them when cant use any form of pesticide anymore.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Kelowna_Born wrote:Our city can't even keep the lines on the road painted, the lawns not even half-a$$ed maintained
Great job Mayor and Council.

Yup, if have to agree with you 100%
It's pretty obvious that the City of Kelowna doesn't take any pride in having a nice City...
Dandelions are in full bloom and spreading fast, looks real sexy...NOT!
Road lines are worn off, roads are all full of holes and cracks.
And....the City is out of control because of the lack of law enforcement.

But, in light of these issue's...Council is offering neighborhoods a $1000 grant for block parties to make for a stronger neighborhood, so residents can sing kumbaya with each other.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LTD wrote:that's not the mayor and councils problem you should direct your complaints to the cities maintenance dept and dandelions are hardly something I would consider a problem tough to get rid of them when cant use any form of pesticide anymore.

Pesticides are for pests...herbicides are for weeds and weeds are just plants growing where we don't want them to grow.

If they were yellow Daffodils would we still be complaining?
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

your right my mistake also if they can afford 20 k a year in property tax I'm sure they can afford to pay some people to come and pick the dandelions in front of their home
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Maybe the OP should sell up and move to my street in Rutland where the tax bills are lower...and there are no curbs or sidewalks, let alone boulevards for the city to neglectfully let dandelions grow on. And don't even get me started on the amount of attention (and tax money) has been lavished on "our nice little Abbott St corridor" while Rutland Road is allowed to sit neglected by a city government that doesn't give a fart about anything more than a few blocks from their precious lake.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Leave the Dandelions alone they are food for my bees.

Sure enough the city will soak that boulevard in chemicals so instead of smelling the lilacs you'll smell pesticide.

The poor people of Abbott Street!
Last edited by Atomoa on Apr 20th, 2016, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

First world problems is an understatement here.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

So much jealousy :(

Once you put that aside, the OP has a point. He pays a lot of money to the city. That money is supposed to go to these services like the streetscaping.

It would be prudent to point out that he at least has a nice looking street with a sidewalk, street lights, dedicated bike lanes, crosswalks, and landscaping. The last 2 places I lived in weren't cheap homes (tho certainly nothing like OP) and had pothole and gravel shoulders with no lighting, sidewalk, etc.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Since businesses still sell Killex as Weed and Feed and independently as a spray I don't know why people would not continue to use them for spot weeding of dandelions and other broadleaf plants.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

So I live downtown off of Bernard, where the side roads have a similar lay out (Sidewalk then a little patch of grass). It seems to be the home owners responsibility to deal with that area, to shovel in the winter, and to mow that grass in the summer. Some are weeded/mowed, some planted with flowers, others ripped up for rock/paved, and others overgrown.

Is this actually the homeowners responsibility? And if this area is expected to be maintained by homeowners would it be a similar situation down on Abbott?
hail Satan y'all

Return to “Central Okanagan”