Syrian Refugee Family - WORK ?

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Syrian Refugee Family - WORK ?

Post by MAPearce »

No link.... I watched Selfie Boy on CBC proudly proclaim that on the news when the first refugees landed at Toronto Pearson airport...

Didn't everyone see that ??
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
solrac

Post by solrac »

oneh2obabe wrote:You have a link stating refugees get automatic citizenship?

No of course not, nobody on this forum ever has a link to back up their "gut feelings on how the world works," even though links abound.

Do they get immediate citizenship upon arrival? No, but they do get permanent resident status. See the section titled "Welcome" near the bottom of this page. http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1032829&_ga=1.199136111.1712621179.1461765610:

What's involved in screening, processing, transporting, receiving and integrating the 25,000 refugees coming in on the accelerated plan? Why look at this, a link! Who'd have thought this information would be readily available. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/welcome/overview.asp

What services and supports are available for refugees and for how long?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/canada.asp

Enjoy the "links."
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

MAPearce wrote:No link.... I watched Selfie Boy on CBC proudly proclaim that on the news when the first refugees landed at Toronto Pearson airport...

Didn't everyone see that ??

I also watched it and wondered why? My understanding is they will be here for a short time and then move home, as if!

The other thing is, why work? Everything seems to be in place, they likely can ask for more if it isn't quite enough.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

I think the big differnces arent so much between private and govt sponsored as they are between immigrant and refugee status.

The main difference between private vs govt is who covers the tab...

The rub for me is that refugees are worked through the system quicker than those who may be atttenpting to take a more "legitimate" path, working through the immagration process.

I know the circumstances surrounding immigrants and refugees are obviously different but the end goal is the same; to work and live legally. My wife did the immagration thing and i know how much we spent gettimg her here. We often joke that she should have hopped in a dingy and floated into Victoria :)

Informative link:
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/how-canada-s-private-refugee-sponsorship-program-works-1.2677385
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Whether Govt or private they still are entitled to all of the handouts, child care, healthcare etc. and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

MAPearce wrote:That was easy...So then there really is no difference between a privately sponsored refugee and a gov't refugee..

Other than gov't refugees received immediate citizenship and healthcare cards paid for by the gov't.

Refugees don't receive automatic citizenship. They have to live a certain a number of years before they can apply. They receive permanent resident status - just like anybody who comes to live here.

The only difference in refugees status is the funding. Privately sponsored refugees can't count on govt assistance. Their sponsors are financially liable for them.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Refugees don't receive automatic citizenship. They have to live a certain a number of years before they can apply. They receive permanent resident status - just like anybody who comes to live here.

That's what caused me to shake my head when Truderp spoke at Pearson.. These refugees didn't have a waiting period before the got SIN numbers and care cards..

Oh well, private sponsored of gov't .. I wish any and all that are looking for work in this town ,or country for that matter the best of luck... The fact remains that there isn't that much out there right now...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

MAPearce wrote:These refugees didn't have a waiting period before the got SIN numbers and care cards.

What would be a point of having a waiting period? To prevent them from going to work and paying their own way?

The fact remains that there isn't that much out there right now...

Probably a whole lot better than in Syria. We all work somewhere after all.

Return to “Central Okanagan”