Lake Ave/Mushroom Beach

Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Lake Ave/Mushroom Beach

Post by Graphite »

Trees should never have to be pressure washed!

Temporary paint my #%^
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

foodsmith wrote:
Vandalism is "action involving deliberate destruction of or damage to public or private property". The term includes criminal damage such as graffiti and defacement directed towards any property without permission of the owner.

Well then, I suppose the big question here is: Who owns public parks?

Last I checked it was the citizens of our fine city, with the City's administration itself providing care and access funded by our taxation.

While the City may have 'granted' permission to paint the trees, they by no means paired this with expressed permission do deface or (potentially) destroy public property. I am pretty certain none of the public was consulted on this project, either. Given he public outcry in response to the aftermath, I feel the 'owners' would not have agreed. Considering the definition above: This is vandalism. Period...

What these people did was not a selfless act exercised as an invitation to unite the community under one cause, nor did they do it out of consideration for the greater good of the citizens of Kelowna or for the fulfillment of those who frequent Lake Ave. Beach; they did it as a show of solidarity among themselves as a small, elite pocket neighbourhood and as an act of reclamation of what they felt had been appropriated from them by those they felt did not "fit" -- despite the fact that the beach belongs to no one person or group in particular.

What is really sad is that there was so much opportunity to bring so many people together prior to this situation getting to this stage... But, as we tend to see all too often in our fine city, the Sneetches must always have their stars, mustn't they...

Yup. Same definition I went by :) ***
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

We were down there this afternoon with our liitle guy and for the most part, on some of the trees, the color is gone. The few closest to the parking area look almost stained where the bark has been abraded off by the cleaning.

All in all, the placed looked pretty good. ... except for the standard mushroom beach scene which includes the haggard looking 30 somthing fellow on the bmx bike hovering around the beach waiting for the coast to clear in order to complete his deal with the 2 other haggard looking fellas in the pt cruiser, on the street.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
cuba108
Fledgling

Post by cuba108 »

I noticed they have locked the gates at Millbridge Park, I guess to keep the bums from camping and doping up. Is there not a better solution so the rest of us could use the park? Lots of pressure from the residents of Bennett Estates living across the creek, not that you can blame them, but closing the park seem's extreme.
If no one has died on the table, you have not done enough surgeries.

Return to “Central Okanagan”