Lake Ave/Mushroom Beach

Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Lake Ave/Mushroom Beach

Post by Graphite »

Freedom of information act grants you the right to view the applications for the tree painting. You can obtain a copy if you are interested
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Lake Ave/Mushroom Beach

Post by GordonH »

I inquired to the City earlier and I posted the response here it is again:
Response from CoK wrote:Dear Gordon,

Thank you for your contacting the City regarding your question.

Yes, an arborist was consulted prior to painting the trees.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,

Glenda Cooper
Neighbourhood Development Coordinator | City of Kelowna
250-470-0636 | [email protected]
Connect with Strong Neighbourhoods kelowna.ca/neighbourhoods

If an Arborist okayed this action, then the trees were not in danger.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Yes Gordon I saw your post earlier on the other thread. My comment was regarding the grant application.

Concerning the painting however I contacted the manufacturer of the paint. The responder checked with her colleagues and said as far as they knew nobody had been asked about the use on trees. They said thier products gave been tested as educational use on paper. The non toxic status was for this useage only. They said because the bark is porous they think it will be difficult to come off. They then asked if we had considered using a pressure washer to remove the paint from the bark.

Just because something is deemed non toxic does not mean it is developed for usiversal use. Esspecially when it comes to art supplies. Its only non toxic for its intended developed purpose. For example, there are products currently on the market labled non toxic, but they also say don't ingest it. That goes with anything. You don't put hemorrhoid cream in your eye, you don't put paprika in your bath water and soak in it, you don't feed your dogs chocolate etc etc.

As far as experts, like an abourist and art supplies (???) I might consider how in the past doctors said smoking was healthy, and how regulators approved BPA as safe.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Exactly right Graphite.
Indeed an arborist might well say that it is safe to paint trees....because in certain applications it is( as has been discussed ).
It is safe to paint a thin coat of water based paint on the trunks of young trees to protect them from insects, weather and rodents. It is safe to paint them white.
It is also safe to paint a wash of diluted white paint on trees in tropical regions to protect them from sun scald.

None of those principles were used in the painting of these trees.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I guess if the trees there all die, possibly the beach will not be so desirable. Time will tell, I hope it does not harm them.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Even if the paint has zero negative impact on the trees, it was still a *bleep* idea to paint the park to look like the Easter bunny exploded.

What was the thought process?

Colors such as that are normally reserved for children's areas, as they are attracted to them, so is it a good idea to try to attract kids to a park that has a history of catering to other types?

Do some think just because someone from the parks department gave input, that everything is a great idea and endorsed by the citizens of Kelowna?

This town has a history of demonstrating that those who purchase adjacent to park land, tend to assume it's their private playground, when in fact it belongs to everyone regardless their address.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

GordonH wrote:

Awesome. Blind, unquestioning faith. You're either religious or brainwashed.

The professional that told me my car was road worthy after 6k in repairs sounded qualified too. Theres a million of'em, everywhere.

Why?
Last edited by monroe on May 13th, 2016, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:

monroe wrote:Awesome. Blind, unquestioning faith. You're either religious or brainwashed.

The professional that told me my car was road worthy after 6k in repairs sounded qualified too. Theres a million of'em.

Why?

None of the above neither I'm I tree expert, trees are the job of an Arborist.

I think the painting of trees was stupid
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Even if the paint has zero negative impact on the trees, it was still a *bleep* idea to paint the park to look like the Easter bunny exploded.

What was the thought process?

Colors such as that are normally reserved for children's areas, as they are attracted to them, so is it a good idea to try to attract kids to a park that has a history of catering to other types?

Do some think just because someone from the parks department gave input, that everything is a great idea and endorsed by the citizens of Kelowna?

This town has a history of demonstrating that those who purchase adjacent to park land, tend to assume it's their private playground, when in fact it belongs to everyone regardless their address.

Feel free to invite the drug dealers and thieves over to your neighbourhood, you could even host a BBQ for them!

It's funny that the only people I've heard complaining about this have been on Castanet, from the anonymity of their keyboards. You don't care that people can't use the park closest to them. You don't care that the ones who do leave needles and fecal matter behind. You don't care that these "citizens" steal from them.

This leads me to the following conclusions:
1) There are posters here who are probably part of the problem at this beach or have friends among them
2) The posters who complain care more about paint on a tree than people going through difficulties caused by the "citizens"
3) The posters who complain seem to have a certain amount of jealousy that some people live close to the lake, and promptly label them as "rich" and "entitled" without knowing them.
I haven't failed until I quit.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Lady tehMa wrote:
Feel free to invite the drug dealers and thieves over to your neighbourhood, you could even host a BBQ for them!

It's funny that the only people I've heard complaining about this have been on Castanet, from the anonymity of their keyboards. You don't care that people can't use the park closest to them. You don't care that the ones who do leave needles and fecal matter behind. You don't care that these "citizens" steal from them.

1) There are posters here who are probably part of the problem at this beach or have friends among them
2) The posters who complain care more about paint on a tree than people going through difficulties caused by the "citizens"
3) The posters who complain seem to have a certain amount of jealousy that some people live close to the lake, and promptly label them as "rich" and "entitled" without knowing them.

4) There are posters here who simply believe that painting those trees and the money involved could have been directed into somthing more effective, possibly less destructive.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

they do not own the park.it is public property.they dont own the trees either.everyone who uses the park isnt a drug dealer and everyone who uses the beach doesnt leave fecal matter behind.people want to go to the beach.the locals dont want them to use "their" park.public beach acceesses are there to provide access to everyone regardless of if you own beach front property or not
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Lady tehMa wrote:

I guess you didn't bother to check out other news sources, social media sites or stories...because people were outraged all over town, not just on Castanet.
The people who live close to that beach as free to use that beach any time they please - no one's stopping them,.
The 'crimes' and accusations are simply that...personal accusations - which, if true, need to be dealt with n a legal manner...not by painting trees...which changes nothing but the trees.

As for your 'conclusions' - You forgot the most obvious assumption - that people are disgusted by defacing nature and painting trees neon colors. Painting trees has nothing to do with crimes or the perceived victims who live in the area.

I am not part of the problem at this beach....I have no friends who frequent that beach.

Jealousy ?? LOL
Seems to be a go to on these forums...if someone doesn't agree, they must be jealous.
Not likely..I live out in the country - no traffic, no noise, no neon trees - couldn't pay me to live that close to the bridge and city park.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

The people who live close to that beach as free to use that beach any time they please - no one's stopping them,

but but but there are poor people there ....ew
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Lady tehMa wrote:This leads me to the following conclusions:

Your post leads me to a conclusion as well.

That some of the rich entitled asshats are delusional as well.

You want to live on the beach then you'd best be prepared to accept the negative aspects of that choice, just as those who knowingly purchase beside an orchard, then come on Castanet to whine about the farmer spraying.

Like the terms or not it's the epitome of rich and entitled!

I'd tell you that to your face too.

There are plenty of more deserving causes in the area that could have used 11K, instead of pi$$ing it away on defacing a park. The foodbank comes to mind right off the bat.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

I'm sure paying high taxes , minding your Ps and Qs since you were old enough to think for yourself ,and eventually being able to be labeled rich or entitled ,has its downside when meatheads find a party spot ,next to you on property that could sell for 10 thousand a foot.
Strong and free

Return to “Central Okanagan”