Smaller Packaging, Same Price

frellingdren
Fledgling

Re: Smaller Packaging, Same Price

Post by frellingdren »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:When I was a kid chocolate bars were about 1/2 the length of my forearm and hand, everything looked so huge...
and it was like 5 or 7 cents for a chocolate bar, and ten or twelve cents for a pop..
then it all went downhill.... still going down...

When *I* was a kid there WAS no downhill. Everywhere we went it was barefoot in the snow; uphill both ways.
I'm not even supposed to be here. I'm just "Crewman Number Six." I'm expendable. I'm the guy in the episode who dies to prove how serious the situation is. I've gotta get outta here.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

LOL LOL I remember those days, and it was really rough when there was freezing rain--two steps ahead, and then slide back, just to try all over again. Thanks for the smiles. :)
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

New packaging for Western Family 24 double rolls of bathroom tissue ( purchased at Save-On-Foods ). That can only mean one thing, right ? Yeap ... used to be 280 sheets per roll, it's now 253 sheets per roll. LOL !!!
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

More sneaky consumer shrinkage

Post by occasional thoughts »

A favourite topic from not long ago . . .

I was shopping in Super Store the other day for a flyer item, Honey Nut Cheerios. Right on the same shelf were 460 gram boxes in one packaging (featuring the Rio Olympics), and newer 430 gram boxes in a different packaging being introduced: same price of course. The retailers are usually a bit more subtle when introducing shrunk sizes.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: More sneaky consumer shrinkage

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

occasional thoughts wrote:A favourite topic from not long ago . . .

I was shopping in Super Store the other day for a flyer item, Honey Nut Cheerios. Right on the same shelf were 460 gram boxes in one packaging (featuring the Rio Olympics), and newer 430 gram boxes in a different packaging being introduced: same price of course. The retailers are usually a bit more subtle when introducing shrunk sizes.

They haven't been all that subtle the last few years. I'd go so far as to call it blatant gouging.

The latest scam is half pies, being sold for the same price whole pies were just a couple of months back.

They've gotten so arrogant I think they actually believe we won't notice.

From what I see they pull the same scam with many products, but cakes and such appears to be where they have gotten extremely bold, like two pieces of cake for $4.99??? That would make the whole cake, which is nothing more than cake mix and imitation icing worth about $40 and it's not even a big cake for that price.

Judging by the number of times they slap 50% off stickers on stuff, I'm guessing more than a few folk are miffed and not buying.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

...wages static, real estate skyrocketing, services cut and now it takes 2 people to a household achieve what one person achieved 30 years ago. It add insult to injury, they short change us 30g of Honey Nut Cheerios.

Interesting fact about Honey Nut Cheerios. Even though they have launched a huge "save the bees" PR campaign, General Mills buys their bulk honey blends from India and China. Not a good thing as it's cut with dairy product and/or whatever else they can find (corn syrup).
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

hahahaha, Atomoa, isn't that the truth eh ??? people complaining about being ripped off on their cereal and yet when someone complains about rental prices or the cost of buying a home they are told to either shut up and take it , move or get a better job...crazy

here's an idea, don't buy that brand of cereal anymore or buy the no name brand
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:New packaging for Western Family 24 double rolls of bathroom tissue ( purchased at Save-On-Foods ). That can only mean one thing, right ? Yeap ... used to be 280 sheets per roll, it's now 253 sheets per roll. LOL !!!

You should also check the size of the cardboard centre. It's bigger than it used to be and therefore, less sheets per roll Maybe the sheets are a little thinner too!!
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

This has been going on all of my adult life. What is bothering me more and more these days is that the retailers (as opposed to the producers/manufacturers) are totally on the side of their suppliers rather than their customers'. I don't know if that's because of vertical integration or just the way they see it.

Retailers could be more disclosive in their advertising, and one way would be to show units of something per unit of money (grams or square inches per $1 or some such). But it would also be helpful (hah, that we'll ever see the day) to asterisk a produce, size/quantity and price and clearly state that is has changed. What is really needed is new and better consumer legislation, something that even centre left governments don't seem to care about anymore.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

occasional thoughts wrote:... and one way would be to show units of something per unit of money (grams or square inches per $1 or some such).

I`m pretty sure they already do it on all price stickers. No? I rarely look at the price nowdays, mostly at price per measure.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

occasional thoughts wrote:What is bothering me more and more these days is that the retailers (as opposed to the producers/manufacturers) are totally on the side of their suppliers rather than their customers'.

Threats.

If you complain you won't be able to carry our products.

There are only a few large scale food makers (General Mills, Kraft, ect) so good luck trying to fight against a entity that will gladly sell your compition product at a reduced cost to shut you up and keep you in line. Saputo Milk used to bully other dairy products out of grocery store dairy sections. "You can only carry our milk or we'll cut you off completely" The only reason you can get D Dutchmen milk at Save On now is because a local radio host took issue with it and made a public stink about it.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

dale mck

Post by dale mck »

unit pricing is a big help,,but not always there! Surprised that no one,,that i've seen here,,,has mentioned the insane variety of sizes,,that makes it impossible to compare prices , from one brand to another in your head without getting a calculator out,,yah I know there's a app for that. Also,,,,be aware that big box stores and smaller retailers have different size packages,,,even though they put a lot of effort into making them look the same,,,cereal as an example.
daveandanne
Übergod

Post by daveandanne »

These smaller items started when we went Metric and the Imperial measure was larger so when we changed over we got smaller cans and packaging. The U.S.A. was to follow us in the changeover five Years later but when they saw the light shine on our stupidity they wisely backed off. This goes for height Metrics on overpasses and bridges and the American truck drivers do not know what 4 or 5 metres mean in their mind. Also we got rid of the one dollar bill, two dollar bill, real silver dollar in use every day, and the one cent piece. So now they advertise as one dollar 96, 97, 98, 99 cents but it is not legal tender as no such price exists. Also gas and diesel is also priced the same as 115.9 per litre which also does not compute as point nine is related to cents. So they all break the law by still advertising in cents or fractions and sell us smaller items for the same or more money. Do you all get the message?.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

daveandanne wrote:So now they advertise as one dollar 96, 97, 98, 99 cents but it is not legal tender as no such price exists.

Stores can price articles however they want. Legal tender is the means a consumer uses to pay for the item.

Legal tender
8 (1) Subject to this section, a tender of payment of money is a legal tender if it is made
o (a) in coins that are current under section 7; and
o (b) in notes issued by the Bank of Canada pursuant to the Bank of Canada Act intended for circulation in Canada.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts ... age-1.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Central Okanagan”