Ineptitude at W.K. city hall?

occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Ineptitude at W.K. city hall?

Post by occasional thoughts »

Dropped by my local grocery store last week, the G&H in Lakeview Heights Plaza on Anders Road in Lakeview Heights. Chatting with the always-friendly manager, I wondered how the new store was coming. Oops. Seems like construction has ground to a halt because West Kelowna hasn't issued permits. The insinuation was that it was incompetence, not problems with something. Did some shopping there today, and still no construction activity. I wonder what's going on in the permit and inspection department of our rather new city. Most people in L.H. neighbourhood have taken a keen interest in the project, and are looking forward to a renewed plaza in what is our only commercial area.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Ineptitude at W.K. city hall?

Post by Randall T »

I've been watching that with interest also and things seemed to be ticking right along. Inexperienced staff possibly?
I birn quil I se
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Perhaps G&H didn't dot all their "I's" or cross all their "T's".
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

G&H is the anchor tenant. The owner/developer is based out of Vancouver and he's the one who has to make sure all the I's are dotted and the T's are crossed.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

G&H is an obscure J. Pattison outpost of the Buy Low brand; it is slated to become a Nesters, another Pattison brand, in the redeveloped plaza.

People in the know don't seem to think it is an I-dotting t-crossing problem; I'd love to know what the real reason is, but I doubt if W.K. staffers read and respond to threads/posts on here. Their loss.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Thanks for the clarification oneh2obabe. My point is that many like to throw mud at the City (or anyone or anything) without knowing anything other than speculation. Maybe the numbers no longer add up? Who knows?

If WK staffers read these posts, they are obviously smart enough not to respond. Like pushing water uphill most of the time. Hmmm. Maybe I should take a lesson from them. Maybe we all can.
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

All it takes is a bit of a dimwit engineer incapable of stick handling the help at the hall and delays are to be expected. With any project . The city has a job to do granted , but with lack of experience mixed with a god complex destroys all hope of efficiency.
Strong and free
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

Having dealt with West Kelowna inspections and development, they certainly have the capacity to be the problem but there are other possibilities.

Geotechnical problems
Structural design issues
Architect design issues/conflict
Mechanical design issues
Electrical design issues
Envelope design issues
Financing issues

In the end it is all resolved by money, the problem, who will pay or when do you stop throwing money away.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

Drove by that just the other day, it has the look of a site that has run out of money....imho
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

I had hoped that someone who visits the forums would know for sure. That the project has stood silent and unattended for more than a week does seem to indicate a project problem rather than a regulatory problem. I can't see the city simply not acting in the face of what would be considerable public pressure. The affected party has been told that it is the tardiness of the CofWK permits jurisdiction to do its job.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Shopping at Lakeview Heights Plaza (G&H) yesterday and today; work progressing today but not yesterday. Sure would like to know who or what was to blame for the long delay. Anyway, the new "Nesters" is apparently back on track.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

hey occassional thoughts,

i can assure you staffers, council and the so called 'mayor' of 'west kelowna' watch this forum, and some do participate.

i see the so called 'city of west kelowna' has no online freedom of information request form or interface on their website that i can find, but here is a link to the form you can use to request the information you are looking for from the so called city.

https://www.oipc.bc.ca/tools-guidance/forms/

please check out my threads here viewtopic.php?f=23&t=26528&start=45#p740586
and here viewtopic.php?f=23&t=68058
to see why i say "so called city". :)
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev

Return to “Central Okanagan”