COK - Future septic upgrade plans?

jayblack88

COK - Future septic upgrade plans?

Post by jayblack88 »

Hey everyone. My wife and I are looking at purchasing a property on Dougall Rd S here in Kelowna and we just found out from our agent that it is on a septic system. I am curious if anyone knows where I can find a long term plan/map for the upgrades in the city? I have called into the city but I am still waiting on a call back.

We are still deciding on whether or not we pull out of the deal because of this but knowing what is in store for the future would be very helpful.

Thanks!!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: COK - Future septic upgrade plans?

Post by TylerM4 »

Looking at COK's sewer map, the area already has sewer.

http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/PD ... raphic.pdf

You likely just need to make the connection. Cost varies but typically between 5k and 10k to do it. I'd wait until the existing field is showing signs of failure.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Oh - also. Get the fricken realtor to do the legwork! That's what they're paid to do. Consider changing realtors actually - a decent realtor would have jumped on this rather than letting you figure it out on your own.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

TylerM4 wrote:Oh - also. Get the fricken realtor to do the legwork! That's what they're paid to do. Consider changing realtors actually - a decent realtor would have jumped on this rather than letting you figure it out on your own.

I would agree with that! Good call
jayblack88

Post by jayblack88 »

Oh great that is exactly what I was looking for ... thanks for the map.

I see that the place that I am looking at buying is the light pink area (Priority 4 - Central Rutland) so I would think that means it doesn't have existing sewer.

This looks like a 20 year plan so does anyone have any idea what priority # they are on now?

FYI - the agent that I am using is actually the listing agent as well ... so definitely not something that should have been missed :200:
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Consider altering your offer to offset the cost to hook up if that option is available. If there are no immediate plans to bring in the service, the cost to re-do a field can be high (20k plus) if it needs to be.

If you are serious about the property, have the home inspector test the field for saturation. There are a number of ways to do this. One of the simpler ones is to fill up a tub and then drain it. If this is a 2 story, use the upstairs tub. If any water comes up through any of the lower drains, that is a red flag.

Check the toilets to see if they flush reasonably well, not slow or sluggish. Check for odors in the basement (if there is one). You'll know which odor I'm referring to if it is present.

Ask to see the receipts for having the field pumped. Most people would have at least the latest one and if there was a problem, it would be noted on the receipt.

Failing a receipt copy, see if you can find out who pumped it last and call them. They will have records and again, can tell you if there were any noted issues. A neighbor may be able to tell you if they have been there long enough and they likely use the same company.

A properly maintained septic system can be problem free for years.

Worst case scenario? There are problems and again, you can alter the offer to allow for whatever level of work is required to bring it back to top condition. If they refuse, so be it but now it has to be disclosed to each and every other potential buyer so one way or another, the problem will be dealt with.

Best of luck.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
jayblack88

Post by jayblack88 »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Consider altering your offer to offset the cost to hook up if that option is available. If there are no immediate plans to bring in the service, the cost to re-do a field can be high (20k plus) if it needs to be.

If you are serious about the property, have the home inspector test the field for saturation. There are a number of ways to do this. One of the simpler ones is to fill up a tub and then drain it. If this is a 2 story, use the upstairs tub. If any water comes up through any of the lower drains, that is a red flag.

Check the toilets to see if they flush reasonably well, not slow or sluggish. Check for odors in the basement (if there is one). You'll know which odor I'm referring to if it is present.

Ask to see the receipts for having the field pumped. Most people would have at least the latest one and if there was a problem, it would be noted on the receipt.

Failing a receipt copy, see if you can find out who pumped it last and call them. They will have records and again, can tell you if there were any noted issues. A neighbor may be able to tell you if they have been there long enough and they likely use the same company.

A properly maintained septic system can be problem free for years.

Worst case scenario? There are problems and again, you can alter the offer to allow for whatever level of work is required to bring it back to top condition. If they refuse, so be it but now it has to be disclosed to each and every other potential buyer so one way or another, the problem will be dealt with.

Best of luck.

Thanks very much for the long post. Very helpful if we proceed!! There are plans (that area is Priority 4) to upgrade to sewer. At this point I am trying to find out what Priority # they are at now? I would assume at least #1 and #2 have been done as this plan was drawn up in 2010. Any ideas?
jayblack88

Post by jayblack88 »

Got a call back from the city and they were able to answer all of the questions I had. Was pretty shocked that they haven't even started Priority 1 area yet and might not for another 5-10 years!!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

jayblack88 wrote:Got a call back from the city and they were able to answer all of the questions I had. Was pretty shocked that they haven't even started Priority 1 area yet and might not for another 5-10 years!!

Yeah, most municipalities have really shifted the way they do infrastructure expansion.

They now use a "make a developer pay for it" approach. Which is great for saving money, but sucks when you're hoping it'll be brought into your area.

I'm surprised they're doing it at all.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

They may take a vote on it for that street and considering the high number of rentals in the area sewer may be voted against. Many landlords arent willing to pay for it.I had a property close by and the same thing happened a few years back.

I'm surprised you didn't see for yourself that it was on septic. It would be declared on the listing. Would likely also be on the realtor.ca
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Interesting map,. We're about as far south on Dougall Rd S as you can get.

Probably a silly comment as i know nothing about the subject but it seems strange to see the layout between sewer and septic in the older more established areas. I would have thought it would be one or the other, not scattered looking.

I wonder how the decision was made to have sewer and then in some of the same areas, septic? Does it have to do with the original developer?
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

monroe wrote:Interesting map,. We're about as far south on Dougall Rd S as you can get.

Probably a silly comment as i know nothing about the subject but it seems strange to see the layout between sewer and septic in the older more established areas. I would have thought it would be one or the other, not scattered looking.

I wonder how the decision was made to have sewer and then in some of the same areas, septic? Does it have to do with the original developer?

Most of Rutland was developed with septic systems because there was no sewer available, particularly pre-amalgamation, but even since then in areas where there were no sewer mains developments had to go with septic. The patchwork is the city trying to sort of retrofit the sewer into a big swath of city where it didn't originally exist.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Bman wrote:They may take a vote on it for that street and considering the high number of rentals in the area sewer may be voted against. Many landlords arent willing to pay for it.I had a property close by and the same thing happened a few years back.

I'm surprised you didn't see for yourself that it was on septic. It would be declared on the listing. Would likely also be on the realtor.ca

I just went on realtor.ca and within about 30 seconds, found the only listing on Dougall Rd s. and it shows clearly that it is on septic.

One does need to actually read basic information when they're making what is likely the biggest purchase of their life. And that is basic information. It's like saying that you should have been told a home is 3 bedrooms, not 4......one of the most basic bits of information that is disclosed.
You and 71 others Like this post
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

jayblack88 wrote:
FYI - the agent that I am using is actually the listing agent as well ... so definitely not something that should have been missed :200:

I think this is a conflict of interest and shouldn't be allowed. Just remember the Realtor is working for himself and not for you or the seller. Be wary of anything he tells you and also hire your own inspector and not someone the Realtor recommends.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Nothing wrong with septic if it has good percolation and it's healthy.
It's usually the peeps who don't understand how it works and ignore it that have issues.
That area has great percolation.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Central Okanagan”