Saving the Fintry Queen? Sorry, Andy Schwab

occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Saving the Fintry Queen? Sorry, Andy Schwab

Post by occasional thoughts »

The link: http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#169005

I'm a History grad, and I like to see historical entities and artifacts preserved. But I don't value this one. Sorry, save us from this one. It's a phony. Now, the SS Sicamous in Penticton, or the SS Moyie in Kaslo, Yes. But not the Fintry Queen.
bernie428
Board Meister

Re: Saving the Fintry Queen? Sorry, Andy Schwab

Post by bernie428 »

One guy on there had a good idea.
Dock it where the old marina pub burnt down on the west side of the bridge.
Cool, looks historic, beer and wings.
If it was viable I'd try it out, but begging isn't a good sign of a solid business.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Let it go, man: just let it go.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

One of the other ferries that used to ply the narrows between Kelowna and the west side is docked (beached) at Westbank and is the premises for the Westbank Yacht Club. A sad end in a way, but it preserves it, sort-of, and it (MV Pendozi) was not turned into a phony paddle wheeler.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

He is relentless give him that, at least when it is scrapped he cant look back and say he didn't try.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Doug Illman (CrocTalk) and Andy Schwab (Fintry Queen) should meet.

I'll just leave that right where it is. Let your imagination go where mine did for a good laugh. Crocs on a Cruise. Dinner with a Dino.

Anyhow, ribbin' aside:
I hope Andy gets his wish.
We all should be so passionate about fulfilling our dreams. At least his passion and dream are causing nobody great heartache.
I think the ol' barge likely does more danage sitting than it would running.
I miss seeing the Fintry Queen meandering about the local lake scene.
I also wish I had taken advantage of a dinner cruise when the opportunity was so easily taken.
Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

I donated to the cause. I say donated because if he doesn't get to set her afloat under power again, I don't have any expectations of Andy being able to fulfill a refund promise.
If he does get his wish, I'll be going on a short little cruise, enjoying what I wished I'd done sooner.

Hey look, my glass is half full. :130:
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Of all the lame tourist "venues" in this town like over priced floating bouncy castles in public beaches for example , why can't a guy buy a ship and try to make a go of it ??

I'm not saying I'd ever go for a ride on the thing but I wouldn't try to talk a "flat lander" out of it.. Give the guy a break , it's not like he bilked people out of their money to build a ski hill , wine cave and string bridges on the south slopes...

He's at least using his own loot to do this .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

In fact he did "bilk" people out of their wages at one time, and that's how I came to meet him. That said, if it was just buying a boat, go ahead, but a phony paddle wheeler? Sorry, spare me.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

occasional thoughts wrote:In fact he did "bilk" people out of their wages at one time, and that's how I came to meet him. That said, if it was just buying a boat, go ahead, but a phony paddle wheeler? Sorry, spare me.

You realize that Kelowna is made from "phony", right?
Phony stone facades.
Phony 'roid apes.
Phony girls flaunting phony body parts.
Phony businesses used to cover phony dealing with phony roid apes and phony girls.
lol

It's about creating an image. It doesn't have to be a paddle wheeler. It just has to give people an illusion. It's more about being on the water in a stable boat, so you can wine and dine or just enjoy some sun, breeze and companionship.

Our homes are made from plastic, foam, wood chips and glue. I don't think the Fintry is the "phony" we need to address.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I sure am glad I went on a couple sailings, would like to again
Seafood smorg, Rum, dancing, Rum, tour the engine room, Rum, meet the Captain in the Wheelhouse,
Rum, and.........whatever else????? Didn't have to swim home!!!! :up:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Geez you might have been there when I was working for the Fintry. I was employed working at the front booth, passing out information and promoting the Fintry as a restaurant to be one when it's sailing. Long time ago.

I have mixed feelings about its demise. Surely to God it has a use. I'd like to see it being used as a Kelowna info center. Why not? Wire it up for flat screens which will play promotional Okanagan materials, set up with racks and souvenirs to buy.

There still won't be any parking, but the experience of being on the water will be much more fun and memorable than a brand new disappointing information building where the only thing people will remember is that parking was a :cuss: .
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
toomuchstuff55

Post by toomuchstuff55 »

Let HER sink to the BOTTOM of the LAKE.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

We had our wedding dinner on there, was a fun time, I think I would rather go in a group on the Fintry, than some 30 foot shoebox scow...
I vote keep it around... Maybe not the plastic fantastic most folks are used to, but having a real ferry converted for cruising is not so bad..

Plus the ferries were an important part of travel before 1957.. You only got to Westside by car, by taking the ferry.. For a few decades.. It is a part of our history..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Post by Straight Shooter »

I've lived in Kelowna for over 50 years and would love to see the Fintry Queen operate again because for me it was and could still be a big part of Kelowna's summer attraction. I'm not gifted with a lot of money but at $10.00 a pop I would get 10 ticket and take my whole family for a cruise. I've never met Mr. Schwab before but I do admire his passion and his dream because for some dreams do come true. I just wished that more of the community would get together and help fulfill his dream.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Post by Straight Shooter »

It's funny, I went to the Fintry Queen website to purchase my tickets and it wouldn't accept my MasterCard payment. Just wondering if anyone else had trouble purchasing tickets?

Return to “Central Okanagan”