Welcome to the Concrete Jungle..sniff..

60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Welcome to the Concrete Jungle..sniff..

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Well we're were lucky maybe holding it off for so long..
But it is now here..
Traveling north on Ellis across from the Madison and before the library..is the start of a concrete jungle.. For a lot of the day the sun does not shine there any more.. Sort of sad to see.. A bit like going into a narrow valley or canyon.....at least for me and a few others..

Well we had a good long run..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Welcome to the Concrete Jungle..sniff..

Post by gman313 »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Well we're were lucky maybe holding it off for so long..
But it is now here..
Traveling north on Ellis across from the Madison and before the library..is the start of a concrete jungle.. For a lot of the day the sun does not shine there any more.. Sort of sad to see.. A bit like going into a narrow valley or canyon.....at least for me and a few others..

Om my goodness a city is being built up in it's downtown core. What a world what a world.

Downtown is exactly where the building should be. Just cause you have been here for 50 years doesn't mean others can't.

get over it
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Well we're were lucky maybe holding it off for so long..
But it is now here..

They should have been building up decades ago, instead of sprawl that is here now.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

gman313 wrote:
Om my goodness a city is being built up in it's downtown core. What a world what a world.

Downtown is exactly where the building should be. Just cause you have been here for 50 years doesn't mean others can't.

get over it

Overreact much?
50 only spoke his feelings on it. No mention of not being able to get over it.
Have a glass of water next.
I agree, that it was nice while it lasted and sad to see it going, going, gone.
It is the inevitable, but at least they can't take memories...or can they?
:135:
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I understand the OP's point. It is a good place to have some urban sprawl though.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

They did start building up decades ago, it just was not as dense..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:They did start building up decades ago, it just was not as dense..

2 building, lol.
Executive House & Kiwanis Tower

When I moved to Kelowna that was it for going upwards instead of outwards
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

Bring on the concrete. Keeps me workin !!!
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I sympathize with you, 50 years, though I don't share your feelings.

I rather like that insulated feeling. I enjoy it in big cities and I like having a bit of it here.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Although I'm part of the problem by moving here myself,
It has grown by about 100,000 souls since arriving,
On one end it grinds me......on the other, it keeps me employed
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

GordonH wrote:They should have been building up decades ago, instead of sprawl that is here now.

I for one do not want anything to do with living "downtown" in the "cultural district" are anywhere near. It may be very well to "build up" but that is not what is selling best, it's single detached homes and there is no place for them downtown any more.
Most of the grand old homes in Kelowna, particularly along Harvey were demolished to allow the widening of Hwy 97. Now, 35 years later we are still waiting to see the last those lots to infill and built up with high rises.
The only thing I can see is that if Kelowna only wants to "build up" and discourage or make it more expensive to build SF housing, communities surrounding Kelowna will happily oblige with their land inventory and you will have an amplification of what we have now with thousands streaming into the city everyday from surrounding communities. Lovely.
The price of land and SF residential housing needs to rise significantly before residents are forced to move into more economical housing. As long as wealthy retirees keep arriving in Kelowna there is no chance that growth is going to be heading downtown into high rises but instead will be diverted into SFR with a killer view.
To a certain extent, Kelowna has limited growth through the use of DCC's and that has driven some growth to the west side.
Are you wanting to get those people into high rises? Kelowna has no control over who spends their money where.
The core area of Kelowna has the cheapest DCC's, I don't see where that has helped much.
Waste not
Otter
Board Meister

Post by Otter »

Try working in the midst of all this. Between the noise and dust, it ain't fun. Plus all the complaints we get from the public re lack of parking, the difficulty to get around down here...etc, etc.

And it ain't over yet! :-X
SteWe
Fledgling

Post by SteWe »

this lack of parking comment kills me - I'm hearing everyone mention it. Being new here, I've never seen so much parking available for a relatively small downtown core. Lots are everywhere - I can count 15+ lots off the top of my head. So is this an excuse to just complain perhaps? Or an excuse for those living out in the sprawl not to come downtown? Or is it because people can't find parking immediately outside of the business that they wish to visit and refuse to walk a minute or two to their destination (when you know, you kinda have to do the same thing if you were parking in a mall)?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'm thinking some of these lots are rented out on a monthly basis and not available for the general public for a couple of hours shopping. It's also a lot easier for the elderly or handicapped to park at a mall and shop there with benches available to rest at.
It sounds like the OP is referring to the new Interior Health building that took over a big parking lot.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Fancy wrote:I'm thinking some of these lots are rented out on a monthly basis and not available for the general public for a couple of hours shopping. It's also a lot easier for the elderly or handicapped to park at a mall and shop there with benches available to rest at.
It sounds like the OP is referring to the new Interior Health building that took over a big parking lot.

The're replacing that lot with a bigger parkade. The net change is an increase in spots

Return to “Central Okanagan”