Re: Time to weed the artificial turf

Post by mexi cali »

Yup.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Interesting, just one question. It would have been the supplier rather than the city that installed it, no?
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

occasional thoughts wrote:Interesting, just one question. It would have been the supplier rather than the city that installed it, no?

I'm sure the customer would have the option.....I would think it is irrelevant who physically installed
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

I agree, just trying to pin down that the supplier probably installed it, but to the customer's (cheap-o) specifications. If this is the correct history, and if the C of WK insists on keeping it, I'd like to see them reinstall it shall we say properly. But this notion also goes against several posters' input that it is the dust and dirt that accumulated on top of the artificial turf that is the problem. I prefer to believe it is dirt underneath that gives root to the weeds, but whatever . . . .
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

You are correct. About the nature of the weeds too. They are coming up from underneath.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Maybe the city should double down on their mistake and install artificial weeds. :biggrin:
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

mexicalidreamer wrote:You are correct. About the nature of the weeds too. They are coming up from underneath.

ya I just drove by a few minutes ago. They are both coming from underneath and around the edge between the turf and concrete.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

I thought the obviously fake green looked bloody awful from the start but then, after spring when the snow melted leaving behind all the crap from the road, it looked even worse. The real weeds next to the fake, shcmutz-covered grass look hilarious now. :200: Nature 1-Fake Grass 0.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

There are now two semi-brilliant humour bits on this thread; the first one about artificial intelligence, the second about artificial weeds. I do wish everything in life and roadside landscaping could be humorous, but dammit the real weeds are ugly!!! As you were. I'll be fine.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

If it has to be vacuumed regularly to keep accumulated dirt from becoming a weed germination area, then I don't really understand how it's a better solution than plain old grass?

Mow regularly or vacuum regularly what's the difference?

Personally I don't think what's underneath plays much of a role, as the weed seeds germinate near the top in the accumulated dirt.
Weeds are relentless and don't require much to get a foothold.

Stamped concrete in the color of choice, would have been a better idea, and lower maintenance I'd be thinking.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Probably a gentle pressure washing would do it. As long as it isn't installed over open dirt.... which I hoping it isnt. The grit that allows seeds to grow would be jammed between the cement and the turf. Kinda like plaque along gum line. Perhaps all we need to do is equip city maintenance with hand held water picks and some dental floss. :D
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ub2 »

Poindexter wrote:Probably a gentle pressure washing would do it. As long as it isn't installed over open dirt.... which I hoping it isnt. The grit that allows seeds to grow would be jammed between the cement and the turf. Kinda like plaque along gum line. Perhaps all we need to do is equip city maintenance with hand held water picks and some dental floss. :D

:130:
Last edited by Ub2 on Jun 29th, 2016, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

City of West K doesn't do their co-ordination very well. Or the idiots they hire. Drove down Ridge estates road and Old Okanagan and Shannon way. They painted the nice yellow lines about a week and a half ago. Guess what??? Another department came by a couple days later and tarred the cracks in the road. Old OK and Shannon have a nice black tar line right down the center yellow line. There are numerous black tar marks going back and forth across the yellow lines. Whoever arranged the two jobs should be fired.

I wonder how many other streets have the same screw up?
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

"Less maintenance than grass" - nope
"Looks better than grass" - nope
"Cheaper than grass" - nope
"Better for the planet than grass" -nope

I wonders who's brother @ CoWK has a business that sells this stuff ? If it's one thing the 1980's have taught us is that astroturf is not a long term replacement for grass.

They have to spray the fake grass for weeds, ha.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

I drove to the Boucherie end of Hudson Road today and planned to turn left onto B. Nope, road closed. So find another way down to the highway. I finally returned this evening driving up Boucherie and it seemed the weeds were all gone. Nice, but they'll be back. My question: does anyone know why Boucherie towards the artificial turf beautification section with the real weeds was closed? Was it weed pulling? It is too narrow for most maintenance without closing the road, but it might have had to do with the new Grizzli Winery.

Sudden thought: posters informed on here that the weeds were being sprayed yesterday (Wed.) morning. I wonder if some poor civic employee made a mistake in spraying real weeds on artificial turf. It seemed the offending weeds had all been pulled tonight.

Return to “Central Okanagan”