How many hotels do we really need?

JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: How many hotels do we really need?

Post by JayByrd »

looking4one wrote:Why/how does this have to do with hotels? Are you saying that, there are not enough hotels reserving space for families of patients? OR are you trying to say that there is not enough rooms paid for by the government to support those in need? OR .....what are you trying to say? Perhaps, BC medical should be involved and subsidize family members of those with Cancer?
Believe me, I am sympathetic, but what is it that you want or expect? I am sorry, if I sound harsh, it is really difficult to express some feelings in typed form.

A poster told the story of someone who was in Kelowna while a family member received medical treatment. This person had to move from room to room during that time, because no one room in any hotel was available for the duration of their stay. This was used as an example that our current inventory of hotels and rooms can't always meet the demand, so we do in fact, have a need for more hotels.

The reason the person was here, or the notion of special medical rates for hotel rooms, was brought up, but isn't really relevant to the topic.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

JayByrd wrote:The reason the person was here, or the notion of special medical rates for hotel rooms, was brought up, but isn't really relevant to the topic.

Then why bring it up?
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

looking4one wrote:
Then why bring it up?

Sometimes forum threads flow like a conversation, and people get on tangents.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

looking4one wrote:
Then why bring it up?

The topic is how many hotels do we really need. The answer is, obviously, more as well as different types to cater to different markets as they are not solely used by tourists. Get it now?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

looking4one wrote:
Then why bring it up?

JLives wrote:The topic is how many hotels do we really need. The answer is, obviously, more as well as different types to cater to different markets as they are not solely used by tourists. Get it now?

Not quite. How many "different types" of hotels are needed to "cater" to how many different, special interest groups are needed?

How would these "special" hotels be able to make a profit, based upon the cost of doing business in the Kelowna area? What hotel chain would be willing to take on such an expense and liability for these special interest groups? Who would subsidise their losses?

I am really sorry if I am sounding harsh, but business is business and that requires profit.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

looking4one wrote:I am really sorry if I am sounding harsh, but business is business and that requires profit.

Don't know about harsh, but you do sound out of touch, and have strong opinions about stuff you know little of.

Another member already posted that Kamloops has in the neighborhood of 55 hotels, while Kelowna has around 35 hotels, according to tripadvisor, yet Kelowna has about 40K more people, and is a more desirable year round vacation spot than Kamloops.

Do the math!

I didn't verify those hotel figures but it seems certain Kamloops has far more than Kelowna does and they seem to survive.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

looking4one wrote:I am really sorry if I am sounding harsh, but business is business and that requires profit.

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Don't know about harsh, but you do sound out of touch, and have strong opinions about stuff you know little of.

Another member already posted that Kamloops has in the neighborhood of 55 hotels, while Kelowna has around 35 hotels, yet Kelowna has about 40K more people, and is a more desirable year round vacation spot than Kamloops.

Do the math!

That's great research results, thanks for that. How many hotels in both locations cater to families that are in need of accommodations, to be with loved ones that are being treated in a hospital? How many rooms at any hotel are dedicated and reserved for these family members? How many rooms are available at a reduced or subsidized cost for these families? How many hotels could survive on the income generated by offering reduced rates? How many hotels can hire staff at reduced rates to support these hotels?
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

looking4one wrote:Why is this part of a hotel thread?

If you have concerns about what belongs in a thread you should click the little exclamation point in the top right corner and report it so the mods can decide whether it's relevant or too far off topic.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jun 30th, 2016, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Stop derailing threads NOW.
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

I don't know the room count, but the Marriott rooms will be replacing the Four Seasons Motel rooms. The Holiday Inn could be a replacement the Econo Lodge rooms. So maybe, it's not that many rooms added to our inventory. We also lost La Mission Motor Hotel a few years ago. The new hotels will be an upgrade, but what gets me is that these chains are probably going to charge a whole lot more than what they are replacing.
Nucks916

Post by Nucks916 »

Yeah we for sure need more rooms in Kelowna. Last year we had an employee transfer back here from Alberta and offered to cover a hotel for a month in order for them to find accommodation as the notice period for the transfer was short. If I remember correctly it was a total of 4 different hotels that they needed to stay over the course of the month due to no vacancies.

Woohoo....read the forums all the time for entertainment but this was my first actual post!
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Nucks916 wrote:Yeah we for sure need more rooms in Kelowna. Last year we had an employee transfer back here from Alberta and offered to cover a hotel for a month in order for them to find accommodation as the notice period for the transfer was short. If I remember correctly it was a total of 4 different hotels that they needed to stay over the course of the month due to no vacancies.

Woohoo....read the forums all the time for entertainment but this was my first actual post!

Welcome, longtime reader, first time commenter! :smt045
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Looking4one..what?.. Argument maybe..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

looking4one wrote:That's great research results, thanks for that. How many hotels in both locations cater to families that are in need of accommodations, to be with loved ones that are being treated in a hospital? How many rooms at any hotel are dedicated and reserved for these family members? How many rooms are available at a reduced or subsidized cost for these families? How many hotels could survive on the income generated by offering reduced rates? How many hotels can hire staff at reduced rates to support these hotels?

I get the impression you're just being obtuse now.

The thread topic asks how many hotels we need here. With the various responses provided the answer is a resounding "we need more than we have".

With an abundant supply of rooms, it would automatically reduce the opportunity to gouge people, because of a shortage of rooms. As it currently stands, it's obvious the industry in our area, is exploiting the supply and demand situation here by jacking up rates, a concept embraced by pretty much any industry that sees demand greater than supply.

Some of your concerns simply don't make sense, given that Kamloops manages to support about 20 more hotels than we have, and does it with 40,000 less population.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Where exactly are they wanting to build 2 hotels? I know of only 1 vacant lot at the intersection of 33 and 97. Will they be tearing down something else at that intersection for the second hotel if approved?
https://goo.gl/maps/j9Djf7xd4FB2
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.

Return to “Central Okanagan”