How many hotels do we really need?

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: How many hotels do we really need?

Post by GordonH »

vinnied wrote:Where exactly are they wanting to build 2 hotels? I know of only 1 vacant lot at the intersection of 33 and 97. Will they be tearing down something else at that intersection for the second hotel if approved?
https://goo.gl/maps/j9Djf7xd4FB2

New Holiday Day Inn to replace Okanagan Seasons motel
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

GordonH wrote:New Holiday Day Inn to replace Okanagan Seasons motel

The Marriott is supposed to replace the Okanagan Seasons (if city hall ever comes to it's collective senses), the Holiday Inn-stitution is going on the vacant lot.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I worked on a new hotel in Williams Lake two years ago. Another hotel was being built at the same time. If a small city of 10,000 people can handle another two hotels, surely a city of 100,000 can handle a few more hotels.

Unlike YWL, YLW is a booming. The airport is bringing in more and more people every year to one of Canada's fastest growing cities.

Medical services are being shut down in smaller centers and moved to Kelowna. Those who need medical care must now travel further to Kelowna for treatment, and they need hotels to stay at most of the time.

The university is the fastest growing in the province, and that also means more visitors from out of town. Traffic lights are being added to the trans-Canada in Salmon Arm and Kamloops, and this makes travel through Kelowna a little less bad (and thus more enticing) when traveling from Hell-berta to Vancouver. More traffic means more demand for hotels.

Tourism is booming. Big White is going all out, the new trail could be a draw, the beaches are always enticing new visitors, etc. More hotels needed for that.

The Alaska Mile Post has added the Okanagan valley as an approved and logged route to Alaska, so more Americans will be passing through on their way north. This adds even more demand for hotels.

Then there are the traffic lights. After about the first 30, those who planned on making it further along on their journey end up throwing up their arms in frustration, and exclaim, "f*** it, let's just stay here for tonight." Again, more hotels needed.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
delSol97
Board Meister

Post by delSol97 »

vinnied wrote:I'd say if people are actually having to stay at the airport Inn for over a 100 bucks a night becuase there's no other rooms available, we probably need more hotels

I'd rather spend the night with our friends outside the Gospel.
workingclasshero
Fledgling

Post by workingclasshero »

homeless people need hotels too.
the old ones are being converted into homes for the needy to make room for more homeless downtown.

Return to “Central Okanagan”