Equine lovers lobby for trail

Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/16 ... -for-trail

Wayne Moore - Jun 29, 2016 / 7:28 pm
Horses should have access to the newly acquired Okanagan Rail Trail.

That's the opinion of some within the equine community who have made their feelings known to the inter-jurisdictional development team, and through an online petition.

To date, 116 people have signed the petition asking the trail be open to the horse riding community.

Andrew Gibbs, inter-jurisdictional development team project manager, said the issue of who can, and cannot use the trail has been discussed. But, except for the exclusion of motorized vehicles, nothing has been decided.

"There are challenges anytime you add another user group to the trail. If we added horse to the pedestrians and cyclists we already have planned, there would certainly be challenges. We also have to address the issue of dogs on the trail as well," said Gibbs.

"The decision on use can proceed independent of design. In terms of determining uses, we still have time to sort that out. We are not developing the trail yet."

Gibbs said he has heard from the horse community and plans to meet with them sometime in July.

While those discussions are going on, fundraising efforts to develop the trail continue.

To date, nearly $150,000 has been raised, which would develop about one kilometre of the nearly 50 kilometre-long trail which stretches from downtown Kelowna to Coldstream.

To help kickstart donations, one benefactor is offering to match any donation made between July 1 and July 10, up to a maximum of $50,000.

I'm familiar enough with horses to know this is not a good idea.
If you allow horses to be a part of the considerations when developing this trail, you can bet the trail will never see hard surface applied. No pavement, boardwalk or concrete will see that trail.

For the benefit of a few wannabe trail-blazers of the wrong kind, we're looking at very likely ending the trail use by those who require a hard surface to benefit from the freedom that trail will offer. Imagine trying to take an electric wheelchair down the dirt trail. Until it's paved we'll see very little use by those who would benefit so greatly by having that trail available to them.

Bikes will dominate the trail, and I'm Okay with that. It's going to be a fantastic commuter route that only serves to cut emissions and add health benefits to those who exploit the trails safety and direct route compared to highways and side roads.

Pedestrians will also benefit, and as we know from other trail systems throughout the city can get along with bikes. People with dogs do create a different set of considerations and issues, but generally speaking, dog owners are good about keeping their pets under control around pedestrians as well as bikes.

Of course there are idiots from all sides that have no consideration for others, but we cannot discount the continued show of cooperation by bikes, pedestrians and dog walkers throughout the many trails this city has to share.

Back to the horsey-people. This isn't about horses. It's about the people that ride them, own them and are passionate about them. Those people need to sit back and think.

Horse riders have so much trail to clop down already. Any hiker, hunter, fisherman, mountain biker or general outdoor enthusiast can tell you. There are literally thousands of trails all around this area that are accessible to horse riders. They've already got the benefit of being able to go places mountain bike riders would not be able to ride. Hikers could never cover the territory a horse can in short order and other forms of off-road transportation cannot be used legally or effectively. You horse-people already have it all.

Ever been next to a horse and rider? Lots of us have, but for those that haven't I can say, "It's intimidating as hell." if you're not used to being around 'em.

Leave this one for others.
cdawson
Fledgling

Re: Equine lovers lobby for trail

Post by cdawson »

I do have horses - do I ride on the greenway. rarely these days.

Mostly to avoid the haters. Like the people who have their dog off leash who comes yapping up to my horse and somehow its my horse that's the issue, meanwhile my horse is the one being terrorized. Luckily he's a good laidback fellow and tends to just give the rude beasts and their idiotic owners the stink eye.

Or the kids who come running up at mach 10 to pet the horsie. I don't mind, my horse doesnt either. Its the parents who freak out, meanwhile my horse is just enjoying the heck out of all the lovin' he's getting. Beats actually walking, he'll stand there all damn day.

Personally I dont' really care who they decide can/cant use the traill - but don't be making out that every group but horse riders are angelic - I'm sure you've been on the greenway more than enough times to realize that isn't even close to the truth.

And intimidating?
Really?
C'mon?
( that comment alone causes some disbelief over the statement that you are as familiar with horses as you claim - just sayin')

I'm more often intimidated by the 100 pound rotty whos offleash ranging about ahead of their owner, or the immensely scruffy guy riding his bike along to his tent somewhere in the bush - Or the scariest of the lot - that family of judgey pants walking along giving anyone who doesn't fit their 'ideal' path using citizens the complete stink eye and offensive muttered comments just loud enough for you to hear in passing (yeah they exist too - and you know it:))

Lets be a bit more fair in our fear mongering please:)

Plus who the heck is going to pay for it to be paved if that is where you are going with it?

Frankly I'd rather 2 paths in one. the top of the railbed for walking/biking. the lower portion of it (down the embankment for riding/dogs..so you don't need to spend your walking time walking through dog and the horse bombs. Don't tell me all owners pick up their dog poop. ..not in a million years. That way it's useful for all interests. Not just yours:) And separates the poopy from the less poopy crowds.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 30th, 2016, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: baiting
cdawson
Fledgling

Post by cdawson »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 30th, 2016, 4:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: response to off topic post
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

cdawson, I think you've hit on an idea there! Why not pave half the trail and leave the other half to those who want or need a rougher surface? I'm not a horse person at all, but I think this long, mostly rural trail would be very suitable for horses.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

perfectbest for horses, people will just run theirdogs off leash, keep dogs off.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 30th, 2016, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

People. People are the problem. I say we should keep the people off the trail. If we have no people we'll have no conflicts between the horse/no horse/paved path/gravel only path/bike and walk only/motorized vehicle/no motorized vehicle/dogs/no dogs/Vietnamese potbelly pigs/no Vietnamese potbelly pigs camps.

When people learn to just get along, be respectful of others and live and let live, then they can be allowed on the trail.

People are ridiculous.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

KL3-Something wrote:People. People are the problem. I say we should keep the people off the trail. If we have no people we'll have no conflicts between the horse/no horse/paved path/gravel only path/bike and walk only/motorized vehicle/no motorized vehicle/dogs/no dogs/Vietnamese potbelly pigs/no Vietnamese potbelly pigs camps.

When people learn to just get along, be respectful of others and live and let live, then they can be allowed on the trail.

People are ridiculous.

And with that attitude toward "people", are you really affiliated with the RCMP?
If so, I'm afraid you've just solidified some points I've been stressing for years. Thanks for that. :)
Used to be a regular poster here that went by B-Diddy. You remind me much of him and his posting style. He wasn't really RCMP though.

As for CDawson questioning my claim of equine familiarity:
I grew up around horses. My family never owned horses, but friends of the family, relatives and the lifestyle my family led kept us around horses right through to my early 20's. It's been years since I've ridden a horse, but I'm still very comfortable around them with or without a rider.
My point is:
I see how people react to the equine/policing in Stanley Park. Those unfamiliar with horses shy away out of fear. How could you expect anything less when they are faced with an animal that often stands taller at the shoulder than those along side of it?
That begs the question right backatcha.

How familiar are you with horses, if you don't even recognize the fear many in the general public have around you and your horse?

I have been on the greenway when horses with riders have been sharing the trail. I see how some people react with their kids. I believe you shed light on this yourself in your own post, CDawson. Again, your post begs more questions around your own experience(s).

Another issue I have not mentioned is *bleep*.
You horsey-people NEVER go back and scoop up after your overgrown dog.
Say what you want to about the ingredients of your horse's dung, but doo-doo is doo-doo dudes and dudettes.
Not picking up after your horse is not just gross, but a display of disrespect for the rest of those who share space with your entitled saddle sore *bleep* and your walking 20lb per pop Plopper-Dropper.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Yes. That is MY attitude toward people. Don't turn it into something that it isn't.

It isn't hard to get along with others. People just don't want to try. Yourself included apparently.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

KL3-Something wrote:Yes. That is MY attitude toward people. Don't turn it into something that it isn't.

It isn't hard to get along with others. People just don't want to try. Yourself included apparently.

I get along with everybody I meet...except cops.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

KL3-Something wrote:Yes. That is MY attitude toward people. Don't turn it into something that it isn't.

Agreed. I will happily share a trail with horses and dogs. What is this attitude we have that we are so superior to other animals anyway and have sole domain over "outside" in a community? They live here too and we should share the space. People are so full of themselves.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

JLives wrote:
Agreed. I will happily share a trail with horses and dogs. What is this attitude we have that we are so superior to other animals anyway and have sole domain over "outside" in a community? They live here too and we should share the space. People are so full of themselves.

horses have no place in urban areas and are not natural to the area
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 30th, 2016, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: baiting
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

JLives wrote:Agreed. I will happily share a trail with horses and dogs. What is this attitude we have that we are so superior to other animals anyway and have sole domain over "outside" in a community? They live here too and we should share the space. People are so full of themselves.

We are not ready to make that leap backward.
It's not about superiority over other animals. It's about creating a safe area for people to share. Sometimes, that means keeping dangerous animals away from people that don't know how to act/react accordingly to that animal.

I know this relatwes in ways to the Pit Bull debate, but I don't think it needs to go that route. This is not about an attitude people have against the horses. Much the same as the dog issue, we need to look aty things from a perspective of protecting the people where it makes sense to. This is one of those times and one of those places where we need careful consideration.

Orrrrrr.

We all roam the Earth free on foot to go forage where we wish, and walk as equals with all the animals on the very soil we share.

I'm game for that, but I don't think society is. How hard do ya wanna push JL?

Return to “Central Okanagan”