Power Outage

just popping in
Lord of the Board

Re: Power Outage

Post by just popping in »

Jlabute wrote:Power is back, Fortis fixed it (thanks), and the reason for outage is still “unknown”. Like, we know what we did to fix it, don’t we?

Very difficult to see the crispy critter in the dark.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#223486
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

---Squirrel---------- :laugh:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Fried squirrel.... thanks but no thanks.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Squirrel? Oh dear poor little creature. :132:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

just popping in wrote:
Jlabute wrote:Power is back, Fortis fixed it (thanks), and the reason for outage is still “unknown”. Like, we know what we did to fix it, don’t we?

Very difficult to see the crispy critter in the dark.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#223486

Hahaha, yeah, I bet it is hard to see Mr. Crispy.
Of course, even if you take a bite out of the insulation, and perhaps bridge to ground and blow yourself up, there isn't necessarily any serious damage. So, I am curious as to what they had to do to restore power... seal & flick a switch? (after finding Mr. Crispy)
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Jlabute wrote:[......So, I am curious as to what they had to do to restore power... seal & flick a switch? (after finding Mr. Crispy)

When BCH crews arrive they most likely don't have any idea why a breaker popped. Before they reset the breaker they must make sure the fault has been corrected and cleared. Without any idea of why it tripped, it could take awhile.

Large High Voltage GFCI breakers take just a little more than 'pushing a button' to reset. The last one I worked on required cranking a mechanism through a port hole in front cover. Things may have changed since as this was well over 20 years ago.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've read that squirrels have caused many power outages and caused 11 million dollars worth of damage in Montana a few years ago. There's articles in the paper periodically about it.

https://www.wltribune.com/news/bc-hydro ... s-of-2017/
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
spooker

Post by spooker »

Jlabute wrote:Hahaha, yeah, I bet it is hard to see Mr. Crispy.
Of course, even if you take a bite out of the insulation, and perhaps bridge to ground and blow yourself up, there isn't necessarily any serious damage. So, I am curious as to what they had to do to restore power... seal & flick a switch? (after finding Mr. Crispy)

1) Find the location where the electricity is being blocked from flowing (substation, broken line, etc)
2) Ascertain the reason for the blockage (blown breaker, melted infra, etc)
3) Determine the root cause (is it local or something that happened upstream)
4) Repair root cause
5) Repair blockage (can sometimes but not always be the same location)

And yes, that's simplifying things ... when you're talking about the voltage being carried on those lines there are many safety concerns that have to be addressed too ...

Now you know! :up:

Return to “Central Okanagan”