Hotel tax for rail trail

kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Hotel tax for rail trail

Post by kgcayenne »

kgcayenne wrote:The police can't enforce the laws with existing cycle riders that defy them, what makes you think the resources are magically going to appear to enforce licencing of cycle riders?

Rwede wrote:How did they do it in years past?

The cops don't enforce it because they have other things far more pressing to deal with.

A dedicated bike cop has no other pressing issues.

No insurance = $345 fine.

No license = $345 fine.

Wouldn't take long before the vast majority became compliant, and that's all that any law strives for. 100% compliance doesn't happen and we don't expect it to happen.

Why aren't you in favour of liability insurance to protect other users of the road?

I am actually in favour of it, but I don't believe for a second that it is sustainable. I suppose that is due to seeing the sheer number of defiant cycle riders outnumbering the ones who seek to integrate with other road users.

I am definitely willing to licence and insure all forms of my personal transportation. My bicycle is covered under one policy, and my personal policy covers injury (I don't know if our home policy covers liability when not in relation to the home & property itself). I even have the ICBC coverage that compensates for incidents when I am not in my car.

What you really want is a "jerk tax."
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

Will walkers, runners, cyclists, wheelchairs, senior quads, horses, pets on leashes and electric scooters all allowed to use the trail?? Will the fence remain to keep travelers fenced in and stray livestock out ??

To your first question, my hope is yes, though it doesn't look like much will be paved right away so scooters etc may have a tougher go than horses and bikes.

To your second question, it should be obvious that the fencing will remain. Property owners own the fenceing and would have little incentive to remove it.
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

Are you telling us that cycling isn't popular enough to pay its own way? That a $50 annual licensing fee wouldn't generate enough to put a bylaw officer in a Ford Ranger for the cycling months?

I own four bikes. Would I have to license each one? Or do I just carry a license? Do kids on run bikes need a license? Or kids biking to school? What does the bike license prove? That I know how to balance on a bike? That I know the rules of the road?

Should we license pedestrians for the same reasons articulated above - the jaywalker, or those walking while texting, or not heeding the rules of the road? Sounds like a good plan. Walking should also be licensed - and we can throw a cop in a Ford Ranger dedicated to confirming that everyone who walks is licensed.

Imagine the revenue opportunities to be had, licensing every walker - from toddlers to seniors! Imagine the sidewalks we could install!
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

kgcayenne wrote:I am actually in favour of it, but I don't believe for a second that it is sustainable. I suppose that is due to seeing the sheer number of defiant cycle riders outnumbering the ones who seek to integrate with other road users.

I am definitely willing to licence and insure all forms of my personal transportation. My bicycle is covered under one policy, and my personal policy covers injury (I don't know if our home policy covers liability when not in relation to the home & property itself). I even have the ICBC coverage that compensates for incidents when I am not in my car.

What you really want is a "jerk tax."

Sounds like you're ahead of the curve. I expect your home liability is void while on your bike, same as mine is while I'm on my sled or quad, but best to check with your insurer.

I believe there are huge numbers of defiant cyclists because there is no enforcement. With a little enforcement, the majority falls in line quickly.

Old Kelowna folks may remember Constable Charlie Colk. Who dared ride their bike on the left or fail to get an annual plate with him patrolling Kelowna's streets?

I don't think a jerk tax is the goal. I think helping to fund the massive investment demanded by the users is the goal. Being able to report jerks with identifiable plates is a by-product of annual licensing, and raises the image of responsible bikers, and makes it safer for other bikers when the jerks are fined off the road.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

marooned wrote:I own four bikes. Would I have to license each one? Or do I just carry a license? Do kids on run bikes need a license? Or kids biking to school? What does the bike license prove? That I know how to balance on a bike? That I know the rules of the road?

Should we license pedestrians for the same reasons articulated above - the jaywalker, or those walking while texting, or not heeding the rules of the road? Sounds like a good plan. Walking should also be licensed - and we can throw a cop in a Ford Ranger dedicated to confirming that everyone who walks is licensed.

Imagine the revenue opportunities to be had, licensing every walker - from toddlers to seniors! Imagine the sidewalks we could install!

Bike licenses aren't a piece of paper. They are plates that identify the bike. They also help reduce theft and help lost/stolen bikes find their way back to their rightful owners.

Licensing fees also generate revenue to fund improvements in infrastructure. You want infrastructure for bike riding, right?

Your pedestrian example is ridiculous. Everyone is a pedestrian, and everyone pays taxes to be one. Everyone is not a cyclist, but cyclists are not paying the taxes to fund their infrastructure. No correlation whatsoever.

If you can afford 4 bikes, you can afford to license them.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

please get back on topic
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Are you telling us that cycling isn't popular enough to pay its own way? That a $50 annual licensing fee wouldn't generate enough to put a bylaw officer in a Ford Ranger for the cycling months?

If so, then obviously municipalities shouldn't be spending millions of taxpayers' dollars to accommodate what appears to be an unpopular and under-utilized activity.

What's your opposition to carrying sufficient 3rd party liability insurance? Besides the fact that it might cost you a few bucks, that is.[/quote]
Cop in a 4 wheeler, never gonna catch many bikes.. A few but not many.... Never have, probably. Never will..
Even in the 60,s at a buck a licnce we could not afford it..never got caught...even the Cushman Clowns tried..
That often ended at a foot bridge..
I have about 400 bike plates now, I would just be a tourist pedalling round town...on a bike with out of town plates...
Last edited by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown on Jul 8th, 2016, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

What about putting a "Trail Tax" on all bicycle sales? That tax would be in place until trails have been paid for, just like the toll booth on the Coquihalla and the new bridge in Vancouver.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

What about bicycle rentals at trail access points that go towards funding the Rail Trail?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

kgcayenne wrote:What about bicycle rentals at trail access points that go towards funding the Rail Trail?

Good idea, scooter rentals too. Maybe add golf carts and other powered devices so that a larger group of people could get some use out of these very expensive trails.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

You could have a day use Armband, and seasons passes and pay a small fee each time you use it.
Then we would have hard numbers for the rail trail naysayers...
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby marooned » 29 minutes ago

To your second question, it should be obvious that the fencing will remain. Property owners own the fenceing and would have little incentive to remove it.

Do you know if Range law or Pound Law applies in the various places that the Rail Trail passes through. The first requires that the owner of property fence animals OUT of his property. Pound law requires that the owner of animals keep his animals fenced onto his property.

As far as I know all of the fencing along any railway line in Canada was installed by and belongs to the Railway. Clarification as to that point should be sought before any decision is made regarding any fencing and gates.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Postby looking4one » 13 minutes ago

Good idea, scooter rentals too. Maybe add golf carts and other powered devices so that a larger group of people could get some use out of these very expensive trails.

I think that Golf Carts and Scooters would add a few "monied" people to the transportation menagerie and possibly encourage or influence a few more monied people to contribute specific parts of the project for brass plate recognition.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

Postby looking4one » 13 minutes ago

Donald G wrote:I think that Golf Carts and Scooters would add a few "monied" people to the transportation minaugerie

Why? Many bicycles these days cost as much as a golf cart and golf carts could be rented from trail supporting entrepreneurs. There are already scooter rentals available, just give them a new avenue to increase their business.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Within few years of being built, not going to look expensive....In fact more trails will probably go in..
Vernon to Thompson. Valley or to Sicamous be nice..not saying viable at present.

Return to “Central Okanagan”