Bicycle Critical Mass

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Bicycle Critical Mass

Post by Queen K »

I was alone way out front for most of it, ask Spooker. But people did become single file.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Queen K wrote:It didn't stay that way, eventually everyone evened out. That's just the beginning shot.

It doesn't matter if they "eventually" went single file.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

That looks fine to me for an event such as this.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Steve-O wrote:That looks fine to me for an event such as this.

That's nice. It's still against the rules of the road for cyclists.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Dizzy1 wrote:
"We get together, we ride correctly, we ride politely and show respect in the same way we want to be shown respect when we're out there on the road," said event organizer Landon Bradshaw.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#201864

Ride correctly?

Rights and duties of operator of cycle
183 (d) must not ride abreast of another person operating a cycle on the roadway,

Doesn't look riding correctly to me.

"Critical Mass" rides are part "protest", gotta have some element of civil disobediance ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_Mass_(cycling)

When we had a bike lane we tightened up more to leave room for vehicles to pass in the lane (Clement) ... when there wasn't enough room we took the lane (i.e. Ellis, Ethel, and Bernard) ...
spooker

Post by spooker »

Dizzy1 wrote:That's nice. It's still against the rules of the road for cyclists.

Trying to hold cyclists to a higher standard than drivers is a very tired argument ... the only reason you'd ever hear a cyclist complaining about drivers disregarding the rules of the road is when it directly affects their safety ... this behaviour is actually safer for all road users in this case even though it is contrary to the MVA ...
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

spooker wrote:
Trying to hold cyclists to a higher standard than drivers is a very tired argument ... the only reason you'd ever hear a cyclist complaining about drivers disregarding the rules of the road is when it directly affects their safety ... this behaviour is actually safer for all road users in this case even though it is contrary to the MVA ...

I'm not holding anyone to a higher standard - I'm holding everyone to the same standard - aka - rules of the road. Thanks.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

spooker wrote:
"Critical Mass" rides are part "protest", gotta have some element of civil disobediance ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_Mass_(cycling)

I'm aware of what a "critical mass" is - thanks. But as you say, it has to have some element of civil disobedience, in which the statement in the article is inaccurate, which is my point.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I went this year, it was a fun and civilized event.

I've had experience with Vancouver Critical Mass that is much larger and it would get quite chaotic at times and sometimes confrontational.

Kelowna one has a very nice laid back feel to it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You were there? So were we, Mr. QK and I that is.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Pretty sure that there can be exceptions for parades , funerals, other Organized events..
I have been on a few funeral rides, toy runs, critical mass..

What I find disheartening the attitude of some on here to cyclists.
I have stated a few times on here, an invite to come observe a place here in town, where 90 percent plus cars and trucks are not complying with the law..
Not one of these constant complainers of cyclists breaking laws , has taken up the offer to see cars and trucks behaving badly..
So , I surmise that they dont take us seriously, yet want us to believe them...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Pretty sure that there can be exceptions for parades , funerals, other Organized events..
I have been on a few funeral rides, toy runs, critical mass..

I don't completely disagree with you. If there should be exceptions or not, is a discussion in itself.

However, I do find it ironic that a "protest" towards cyclist awareness and their safety requires them breaking the rules that are meant to keep not only themselves safe, but other road users as well.

I'm merely pointing out an inaccurate statement - nothing more - take it as you will.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Im in that mood. Roads are meant to get to and from efficiently. They're not meant for masses to hold up people getting to and from work. Yes, many people work Sundays. Glad you guys had fun.

So happy I wasn't around to be aggravated by this.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

What has working Sunday got to do with a Friday nite ride ?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Central Okanagan”