Just say it as it is!
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Re: Bicycle Critical Mass

Post by sooperphreek »

spooker

Post by spooker »

Just wanted to let everyone know that this Friday (July 14) there will be a Critical Mass Memorial Ride starting downtown at 7pm from the Sails (corner of Abbott and Bernard) ...

We welcome all cyclists. We'll be making a circuit up Ellis, along Clement, down Ethel, and then back along Bernard to the starting point at the Sails. Part of the purpose of the ride is to remember Patricia Keenan, Terry Campbell, and James Nagy. The other part of the ride is to show community and have a good time with other people who enjoy a good ride.

We'll be riding politely with awareness. Hopefully drivers will understand and make other arrangements or practice patience.

Thank you.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

spooker wrote:Just wanted to let everyone know that this Friday (July 14) there will be a Critical Mass Memorial Ride starting downtown at 7pm from the Sails (corner of Abbott and Bernard) ...

We welcome all cyclists. We'll be making a circuit up Ellis, along Clement, down Ethel, and then back along Bernard to the starting point at the Sails. Part of the purpose of the ride is to remember Patricia Keenan, Terry Campbell, and James Nagy. The other part of the ride is to show community and have a good time with other people who enjoy a good ride.

We'll be riding politely with awareness. Hopefully drivers will understand and make other arrangements or practice patience.

Thank you.

May you have good turnout, hopefully venting is good so that smoke is minimal.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Any one have an update?

An old friend of mine, a techie by profession, cycles everywhere and for everything, lost his globe trotting mom to a cycle accident. She survived Peru, Africa, Europe and N.America only to hit a rock in England, have the misfortune to hit her head and succumb to her injuries. It was a very sad day to learn his mom passed away as I had spent so much time at their house.

I was thinking to be there in rememberance of Sarah.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Spooker :130: maybe not a huge turn out but a friendly one.

I'm not much for "slow" so sorry for being out with the keeners.

:up:

Maybe next year a whole new thread or earlier reminder, remind me to remind? The lakeshore afterwards was so nice to ride :biggrin:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
spooker

Post by spooker »

All good Queen, sorry for not saying hello directly ... I was talking about it with another guy and I think we're going to embed pacers that'll help keep us together ... had a dad and his two sons at the back ...

In the end, people saw us ... no one looked to take issue with us ... and we had a nice ride ...
Last edited by spooker on Jul 14th, 2017, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AtticSalt

Post by AtticSalt »

So what's the the hairy guy riding his bike with a pair of bolt cutters stapped to his bike rack and a bcakpack doing at 530am ..... :-X BTW his backpack appeared to empty..but he was following the rules of the ROAD... :admin:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

That got me on another train of thought,

No disrespect to those who passed away in cycle accidents, but why not also ride for a cause to reduce bike theft?

Have a demo on how bolt cutter work on certain types of locks and not on others?
Talk bike lock up, what works what doesn't?

I have a bike story for hell to heaven on how I got it back, but no one would believe it. :up:
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

AtticSalt wrote:So what's the the hairy guy riding his bike with a pair of bolt cutters stapped to his bike rack and a bcakpack doing at 530am ..... :-X BTW his backpack appeared to empty..but he was following the rules of the ROAD... :admin:

Ah yes, but you left out the critical parts. Was he wearing an approved safety helmet and obeying every signal? Oh, don't forget not riding on the sidewalk or wrong side of the roadway.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Queen K wrote:That got me on another train of thought,

No disrespect to those who passed away in cycle accidents, but why not also ride for a cause to reduce bike theft?

Have a demo on how bolt cutter work on certain types of locks and not on others?
Talk bike lock up, what works what doesn't?

I have a bike story for hell to heaven on how I got it back, but no one would believe it. :up:

I'll be working the bike valet stations next weekend at the Downtown Block Party and part of what we're looking to do is engage with people about locking techniques ... and a grinder and bolt cutters will be on hand ...

Next time I'll buy the beers to hear the story of your bike's safe return ...
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Just bought Kryptonite chain locks, two.

Was in CyclePath and a guy was in there buyin' a new sweet bike because his Krptonite cable lock was snipped down near BNA last night. Bike gone. Likely chopped by now.

I'll take one of these Spooker ---------> :130: Story will come later after a return from the beach.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

"We get together, we ride correctly, we ride politely and show respect in the same way we want to be shown respect when we're out there on the road," said event organizer Landon Bradshaw.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#201864

Ride correctly?

Rights and duties of operator of cycle
183 (d) must not ride abreast of another person operating a cycle on the roadway,

Doesn't look riding correctly to me.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It didn't stay that way, eventually everyone evened out. That's just the beginning shot.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Queen K wrote:It didn't stay that way, eventually everyone evened out. That's just the beginning shot.

BS

Return to “Central Okanagan”