Hundreds of dead fish

Tack

Re: Hundreds of dead fish

Post by Tack »

Ken7 wrote:Sad to see as our lake is to me so very important.

To all of us for the continued survival of the Okanagan.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

it is probably from the toxic paint from mushroom beach leeching into the lake
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

It could be Patchouli ? It is fruit picking season. :135:
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

So let's say when the Kokanee numbers were much much higher 50-60 years ago, was this ever a phenomenon? I call BS on the lake turnover due to the fact it would more than likely affect other fish species. Something is rotten in the water, this happened a few times in the early 2000s also as I used to boat and fish a fair bit back then.
Sure do love Rutland!!
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Wait till the salmon get back in the lake..what happens to the kickaninnies then?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

phasyluck wrote:So let's say when the Kokanee numbers were much much higher 50-60 years ago, was this ever a phenomenon? I call BS on the lake turnover due to the fact it would more than likely affect other fish species. Something is rotten in the water, this happened a few times in the early 2000s also as I used to boat and fish a fair bit back then.

So you know more than the fisheries biologists on what kills fish?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Nasturtium wrote:Older homes are known to have drains for their pools containing vast amounts of chlorine that run straight down their curb/street to the first sewage drain which flows freely into the lake. Pools are opened in the spring and closed in the fall. It is illegal in Kelowna to use these drains, but more often than not, people do without first treating their chlorinated water.

While chlorine is certainly toxic to all lifeforms, it would take an incredible amount of it to be dispersed into a body the size of Okanagan Lake, to directly kill fish. Chlorine also evaporates readily, which is why it needs to be constantly replenished in a swimming pool. I don't think chlorine can be the cause here.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

phasyluck wrote:So let's say when the Kokanee numbers were much much higher 50-60 years ago, was this ever a phenomenon? I call BS on the lake turnover due to the fact it would more than likely affect other fish species. Something is rotten in the water, this happened a few times in the early 2000s also as I used to boat and fish a fair bit back then.

I suspect fish die-off happened decades ago as well. A little history:
http://www.obwb.ca/fileadmin/docs/olap_10yrsummary.pdf
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/fr07shepard.pdf
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Yes Rwede I know everything about everything, thanks for pointing that out for me because that's what I had stated originally. If you think it's natural good on ya, I don't... now play safe and keep voting Trudeau like a true champ.
Sure do love Rutland!!
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Local media: Only Castanet, please.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3627
Last edited by ferri on Aug 3rd, 2016, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: article from local media other than Castanet
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Local media: Only Castanet, please.

ETA: results are in, tests on 80 fish point to no disease, but rather a temperature inversion in the lake as the cause of the dead kokanee.

Look elsewhere for the story.
Wave101
Fledgling

Post by Wave101 »

Well that makes a boring story. It is so much more interesting to get people riled up over possible poisoning or a man made event. Oh well. I guess we can always fall back on climate change bringing doom to us all and in no way could possibly be good in any way for a good story.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Wave101 wrote:Well that makes a boring story. It is so much more interesting to get people riled up over possible poisoning or a man made event. Oh well. I guess we can always fall back on climate change bringing doom to us all and in no way could possibly be good in any way for a good story.

We were on the lake during this event and couldn't believe the thoroughness of boaters collecting the dead fish for fisheries to study. Why collect 20 odd fish when 1 or 2 would have sufficed. As it turned out they didn't really require anyone to do this given fisheries alread had a good sample but someone forgot to tell the rest of us. There are eagles and other birds, coyotes, snakes, bears and others that would have had a field day with the bounty. But along comes human who with good intentions collects them all only to throw them away. I understand people were trying to help out but use some common sense and leave the majority for animals that would have benefited from the die off.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.

Return to “Central Okanagan”