Soot from mill

gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Soot from mill

Post by gman313 »

MAPearce wrote:
Hmmm.. I have a buddy who lives on the 500 block of Bay st and he doesn't have any problems with soot or ash for that matter ....

You know how close to the mill that is , right ?

Yes sir and I live in 600 block (ok so like 50 metres further down the road) and no issue either. I'm 100% supporter of Tolko they employ many

:smt045
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Rwede wrote:Life of a leftist whiner:

1.) Complain about an employer that pays well and sponsors many community organizations
2.) Get said employer shut down
3.) Complain about low paying jobs and unemployment
4.) Oppose any proposal to offer good paying jobs
5.) Complain about taxes
6.) Complain about lack of government services
7.) Rinse
8.) Repeat

Oh seriously, this is Kelowna, there's a very good chance that the whiners at the Yacht Club are firmly on the political right (and the unionized employees at the mill may well be on the left). Not that their personal political views actually have one damn thing to do with it, except in your ridiculously partisan mind.
Black Daisies
Board Meister

Post by Black Daisies »

gman313 wrote:
Yes sir and I live in 600 block (ok so like 50 metres further down the road) and no issue either. I'm 100% supporter of Tolko they employ many

:smt045

Interesting....I just had a conversation with people who live on Kingsway and others who live on Oxford and Broadway who would strongly disagree with you.

Kelowna doesn't monitor air quality so I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

The jobs are good but I think Tolko can do more to clean up their environmental impact. It may be expensive but doing so would also create a couple more jobs.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I know of a business in the 500 block of Bay that had a lot of problems with mill stuff ending up on vehicles.. Will try to check, how it has been of late.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Tolko and City Hall

Contributed - Aug 10, 2016 / 2:47 pm | Story: 172913

I am really disappointed so far in how our City refuses to step up to the plate on this Tolko issue.

In a letter to me from our Mayor the suggestion is that this is a "provincial" issue and our local neighbourhood groups should complain to the BC Government.

What the hell did we vote these people in for?

A little of the background I have managed to uncover: Tolko used to supply electrical power to the City of Kelowna which it resold to the citizens of Kelowna. The City of Kelowna is no longer in the power business, and this is now handled by Fortis. Regardless, the health of Kelowna citizens comes first, and Tolko can no longer be permitted to sidestep the regulations.

Mayor Basran and City Council, it is your responsibility to step up and represent the citizens of Kelowna.

Do your job.

Stephen Barber

I'm unsure how can be sloughed off by Mayor and counsel as a Provincial mater. Maybe if this was a mill in the middle of the lake. Really City needs to step up to the plate. Many issues I've personally tried to get them to take action on the pass it off. I call BS!
ArcticCatHouse

Post by ArcticCatHouse »

I am thinking these neighbors just need to suck it up (just kidding)

How can a modern day corporation who brags about being green on their website do this right in their own back yard?
Hopefully there is going to be some money in the federal carbon tax program to help these guys out, not good situation right now with Tolko recently announcing closures in The Pas Manitoba and Merrit.
However the family seams to be doing well financially, good for them, I am sure it is well earned, but for the sake of your neighbors and good corporate citizenship please clean up your act.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#178115
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Perfect more whining about a little bit of soot once in a blue moon.
I guess these people won't stop until they've run another big employer out of Kelowna so they can then turn around and whine even louder about the lack of good paying jobs in Kelowna.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Post by artistwithaflare »

How do you track soot? Is it from from the mill? homes? car emissions? bird poop? or from the burn off going on?
and how many wood stoves are there in Kelowna?
People complained about goose poop....so they killed eggs with the Goose Egg Addling Program. :chicken:
I wonder how they will abolish soot? :up:
Just say it as it is!
ArcticCatHouse

Post by ArcticCatHouse »

I think it is a pretty cut and dried thing, see previous pictures in post

Facts are Tolko is well aware of the situation, it is not a mystery, it is not coming from diesel trucks or airplanes or the tooth fairy.
How do they abolish it, they need to invest in better maintenance practices or better equipment, and they have been trying.
I have been in meetings with them about the issues, they are sincere in trying to clean it up.

Will they be willing to invest more, probably not.
With the new government talks about crushing the softwood industry in Canada (I read something a wile back about the softwood tariffs screwing Canada again), Tolko closing plants in other locations, I am guessing the people employed there probably should be updating their resumes, unfortunately the writing is potentially on the wall.

Sad situation, maybe the Federal Liberals will offer some solutions and actually try to help save a industry and many jobs.

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so.
ArcticCatHouse

Post by ArcticCatHouse »

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

ArcticCatHouse wrote:Nail in the coffin.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/softwoo ... -1.3801771

Each time this happens BC softwood industry takes a big hit.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Post by artistwithaflare »

Frisk wrote:

Anyone know what this soot is made of?

WHERE DOES SOOT COME FROM? The most significant sources of soot are diesel engines, vehicle tailpipes, coal plant smokestacks, oil refineries, and fires—the burning of large forests( Kelowna's burn off!!) for agricultural purposes produces soot, and so does the use of grills, fireplaces and cook stoves for cooking and heating.
The downtown waterfront has a ton of apartment/condo's and industrial !
Emissions come from so many different sources!
Just say it as it is!
ArcticCatHouse

Post by ArcticCatHouse »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/18 ... -pollution

Good thing Tolko follows all guidelines regional air quality co-coordinator Nancy Mora Castro preaches.

Why don't they do some studies on a daily basis for a year out that black spewing stack?
I think they would figure out pretty quickly where a majority of air pollution is coming from in Kelowna.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Funny thing that the two parts of Kelowna with the worst air quality are MILES away from the mill..

It doesn't surprise me that those bitching about the soot from the mill have nothing to say about the upper Mission or Rutland..

Why don't they do some studies on a daily basis for a year out that black spewing stack?

Because there isn't a "stack " that "spews black" ???? Go look .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
ArcticCatHouse

Post by ArcticCatHouse »

MAPearce wrote:Funny thing that the two parts of Kelowna with the worst air quality are MILES away from the mill..

It doesn't surprise me that those bitching about the soot from the mill have nothing to say about the upper Mission or Rutland..

Because there isn't a "stack " that "spews black" ???? Go look .

Here ya go:

http://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/17 ... up-its-act

Return to “Central Okanagan”